Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Lumia 710

Device(s)
    SE TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Nokia Lumia 710

Supposedly, this windows 7 smartphone will show up in T-Mobile stores after the New Year. Anybody got an opinion on this one yet?
    N

Device(s)
    SE TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    First signs of the new Nokia for Windows phone 7.5.

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=unve...release-update

Device(s)
    SE TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here is a new review on the Lumia 710 from CNET

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phone...;siu-container

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've been using this one for a week now. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I can try to answer.

Feedback Score
    @Cauchon

Hi, as my username suggest, I'm deciding whether to switch to T-Mobile and get the Nokia 710 (from Sprint running a Windows 6.1 device and Palm Pre). Appreciate it as my developing days on these two OSs are numbered and WP7.5 looks promising...and some of my questions may be Windows Phone related rather than specifically the Nokia.

Questions:
    - does Nokia Maps requires a data connection to function? Can entire country or multiple states be off-line?
    - does Nokia Maps requires data to get your location over gps - with Sprint, it required data first before relying only on gps. Are you able to turn on GPS and use it while having the cell phone's radio off?
    - does the Slacker Radio app let's you cache a station?
    - does Zune player and Slacker let's you listen while say send a text message?
    - on Palm devices, they have a hardware button to quickly go into vibrate mode - any quick way in WP or Nokia way to achieve this?
    - chance to do any speed test (up/down and latency)?
    - while browsing online, if page is loading and you go into multi-task mode to switch to another app, coming back to browser will webpage be fully loaded?
    - does the screen turn off or dim when holding phone close to your head while talking?
    - battery life so far?
    - have you tried carrier-unlocking and developer unlocking yet? Can it be developer unlocked w/o paying? With webos, it was as simple as typing webos20090606 to get started.
    - I keep hearing the Nokia App Store and WP App store...are these the same, or both have their own?

Anyone tried installing the Developer SDK on Windows XP? Noticed MS has it Vista and Win7 only. Any developers out there care to make a remark with the SDK and say developing for the old Window Mobile platform or WebOS to this new OS?

@admins
    "Where's the power button?" for newbies is quite mean, haha

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by switchingt View Post
    @Cauchon

Hi, as my username suggest, I'm deciding whether to switch to T-Mobile and get the Nokia 710 (from Sprint running a Windows 6.1 device and Palm Pre). Appreciate it as my developing days on these two OSs are numbered and WP7.5 looks promising...and some of my questions may be Windows Phone related rather than specifically the Nokia.

Questions:
    - does Nokia Maps requires a data connection to function? Can entire country or multiple states be off-line?
    - does Nokia Maps requires data to get your location over gps - with Sprint, it required data first before relying only on gps. Are you able to turn on GPS and use it while having the cell phone's radio off?
    - on Palm devices, they have a hardware button to quickly go into vibrate mode - any quick way in WP or Nokia way to achieve this?
    - while browsing online, if page is loading and you go into multi-task mode to switch to another app, coming back to browser will webpage be fully loaded?
    - does the screen turn off or dim when holding phone close to your head while talking?
    - battery life so far?
    - have you tried carrier-unlocking and developer unlocking yet? Can it be developer unlocked w/o paying? With webos, it was as simple as typing webos20090606 to get started.
    - I keep hearing the Nokia App Store and WP App store...are these the same, or both have their own?

Anyone tried installing the Developer SDK on Windows XP? Noticed MS has it Vista and Win7 only. Any developers out there care to make a remark with the SDK and say developing for the old Window Mobile platform or WebOS to this new OS?

@admins
    "Where's the power button?" for newbies is quite mean, haha

Thanks!
    I can answer some of these questions,not about the lumia but about WP and Tmo in general and let me tell you it will be a whole worlds difference coming from sprint and wm6.1. Slacker radio supports caching, u can listen while texting (on sprint texting interrupts the connection and possibly the stream.) there is a vibrate toggle in the volume bar when pressing the volume rocker. My speeds on my HD7 generally range from 3mbps to 9mbps depending on signal strength and time of day,latency is around 95 to 300ms (with sprint i was lucky to even get 300k and latency of 1000ms) web pages do load in the background but some apps may have issues with this if they don't support background downloads. screen toggles off and battery is reasonable on my hd7 with moderate use (about 5 hours before needing a charge,lumia might be different )

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Questions:

It does require data. From all the options and everything I've tried, doesn't look like it can be saved for offline use.

You need data to load the maps. I turned my phone into airplane mode and went into Nokia Maps. It finds my location, but there is no map behind it so there is just a green dot.

I believe it might, but I don't have Slacker Radio Premium to test it.

They will both run in the background and allow you to do other things while you're listening.

On Windows Phones, if you press the volume up or down, a bar pops down and you can click the top right circle to make it Ring, Vibrate, or Ring + Vibrate

In Palo Alto, CA - Download: 1.79 Mbps Download: 0.79 Mbps Latency: 290 ms

Yup it comes back full loaded for me when I use it.

Turns off.

- battery life so far?

It is decent. I dont have specific tests yet, but you will probably have to charge it everyday with normal use.

I haven't tried any of this. I think it is more difficult for Windows Phone but someone else can probably jump in and answer this one.

In the Marketplace, there is a category called "Nokia collection" where it has apps only available on Nokia Windows Phones. These apps are: ESPN, Univision, Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps, App Highlights, Contacts Transfer

Feedback Score
    Thank you both!! This is definitely nice to hear that both T-Mobile and WP7 is the right move for me, I may be testing your limits, but if you wouldn't mind some more questions?? Appreciate it.

Btw, I'm looking to get T-Mobile's Value Plan and buy the phone outright at amazon.com for 329.99 - any thoughts on this..seems like a good value for me coming from Sprint

- can Wifi be toggled on/off quickly, or it must be done through Settings?
    - nokia's touchscreen accurate? ..you typed for instance "noia" and missed the k to spell nokia, selecting between o and i a hit-or-miss, or dead on almost every time?
    - build quality of phone good to last 3+ years? (Yes, I tend to keep mine long and in good care so this is important for me...love that it has gorilla glass coming from my Pre which doesn't)
    - here's more of a personal perspective question. Watching WP7 in youtube videos, it looks a bit overwhelming with live tiles constantly changing - like being tourists in a big city - is this something you becomes quickly acquainted with and love it? Can a live title offer too much info/change for a developer to be wary of?
    - how is copy&paste and selecting of text? Can you select text in say the browser easily?
    - Click to save an image from the browser possible?
    - HTC with WinMo used to do heavy customization (for better/worse is debatable), has Nokia done anything besides include additional apps or is this not allowed?
    - Mail supports MS' active-sync (aka, push email)?
    - Does mail program group emails based on subject - similar to gmail? I noticed in a video youtube one email was toggled, and it appeared like the history of emails were grouped together, true?
    - with Windows Mobile 6.1, many custom settings can be done in the registry - does WP7 allow registry changes?
    - Forgetting the price, any strong reasons to look at the HTC Radar instead? I'm preferring the Nokia 710 for the smaller screen, stellar phone quality, and the Nokia Drive app. Despite being a long time user of smart phones, this phones seems great and yet it's constantly being referred to as an entry-level, for beginners or switchers from dumb-phones by news and nokia too.

Any apps suggestions for an
    - RSS Reader (for offline - and not through google)
    - Video Player for say .mkv, .divx, .xvid, etc?
    - Music App built-in is great, or any alternative needed?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    - can Wifi be toggled on/off quickly, or it must be done through Settings?

You have to go into Settings, no easy toggle.

- nokia's touchscreen accurate? ..you typed for instance "noia" and missed the k to spell nokia, selecting between o and i a hit-or-miss, or dead on almost every time?

It is accurate. But the keyboard is cramped so I found that I was sometimes spelling things incorrectly.

- build quality of phone good to last 3+ years? (Yes, I tend to keep mine long and in good care so this is important for me...love that it has gorilla glass coming from my Pre which doesn't)

Build quality seems solid for the price point. Nokia has always been good at making phones that lasts a while. If you aren't too crazy with your phone, it should be able to last.

- is this something you becomes quickly acquainted with and love it? Can a live title offer too much info/change for a developer to be wary of?

Coming from the iPhone, I was kind of thrown back with WP and the LiveTiles. Now I actually like it, it is easy to manage and find shortcuts. The issue now is making folders because the app list can get quite long if you have a lot of apps.

- how is copy&paste and selecting of text? Can you select text in say the browser easily?

Copy and paste in Windows Phone is pretty good. You just click where you want to copy and it will bring up a selector. Then you can paste it elsewhere.

- Click to save an image from the browser possible?

Very easy. Just press and hold the image and you can copy link, share link, save picture, and share picture.

- HTC with WinMo used to do heavy customization (for better/worse is debatable), has Nokia done anything besides include additional apps or is this not allowed?

As of now, there isn't much customization from what I've seen. You can change the background color, tile colors, but nothing too crazy like old WinMo. So far all Windows Phones have the safe look to it, no manufacture overlays like Android,

- Mail supports MS' active-sync (aka, push email)?

Yup.

- Does mail program group emails based on subject - similar to gmail? I noticed in a video youtube one email was toggled, and it appeared like the history of emails were grouped together, true?

It is threaded so yeah. If you have a bunch of replies from one email it is grouped together and you can click to see all the emails.

- with Windows Mobile 6.1, many custom settings can be done in the registry - does WP7 allow registry changes?

Not sure on this..

- Forgetting the price, any strong reasons to look at the HTC Radar instead? I'm preferring the Nokia 710 for the smaller screen, stellar phone quality, and the Nokia Drive app. Despite being a long time user of smart phones, this phones seems great and yet it's constantly being referred to as an entry-level, for beginners or switchers from dumb-phones by news and nokia too.

I dont know much about the HTC Radar. Maybe someone else can answer this one.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cauchon View Post
    I've been using this one for a week now. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I can try to answer.
    Does this work with web2go or do you have the smartphone internet?

Sent from my MB525 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've heard somewhere that the Nokia doesn't have internet sharing. It also doesn't have a FFC but they will have tons of exclusive games with EA such as dead space. The radar also does not have a compass but the Nokia does, it all depends on what u want.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox View Post

I'm not sure, I don't know much about T-Mobile's plans. This is a review phone I'm using.

Feedback Score
    I just got this phone today and so far i think it's a pretty nice phone for its price. However the biggest let down for me is that the new Nokia drive requires data to operate, whereas the older Nokia map doesn't.......

P.S the phone is fast, accurate and light too............

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox View Post
    Same question.
    Appreciate it if anyone with a grandfathered plan who picks up a 710 would check in with an answer.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can you let us know if there are any firmware our software updates on the internet sharing option later?

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast