Thread: Verizon and Sprint phones on Straight Talk

Feedback Score

Verizon and Sprint phones on Straight Talk

By now I know we have all seen the Verizon and Sprint phones that have been flashed over to straight talk that are being sold on ebay at outlandish prices. Well me being the me and not spending that much on a phone I decided that I was going to do it myself. Well I finally got it and I know that some of the people are going to flame me here on this but I would like to let you in on something. Do your research and figure it out by yourself if you wanna but Be cautious because these phones will get cut off on for data usage WAY WAY WAY WAY before the E71 and 6770 sims will! Another problem Sprint phones MMS will not work! I had a thunderbolt I had on straight talk for about 6 months data was never a problem because I was always at home on wifi! But my internet went out do to some storms and I used my phones internet periodically just to check facebook email small stuff, and In two weeks I used 879 megs of data and they cut me off! So before you go out and spend $400-500 on ebay and get a pre-flashed Straight Talk phone beware of the data usage it will get cut off quickly! If you don't know how to flash phones then you can't fix it and your SCREWED out of your money! Thankfully I didn't lose to much because all I had to do was flash it again(once again I have to be vague about this because of the process) and buy a new month of service! Also If you Do flash a phone or buy a pre-flashed phone ONLY BUY ONE MONTH AT A TIME!!!!

ALSO PLEASE DON'T MESSAGE ME ASKING FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO FLASH BECAUSE I WILL NOT GIVE THEM TO YOU!

Phones
    iPhone 4S 16GB
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Carriers
    StraightTalk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    A pointless post if I've ever seen one!
    iPhone 4 running on StraightTalk Wireless 3G (AT&T MVNO)

Time Warner Cable (Home ISP)
    [/URL]

Feedback Score
    Might stop someone from spending 500 for a phone then getting it cut off a week later and not being able to fix it because they are not technically inclined

Feedback Score
    It's not pointless, it's actually very beneficial.

It's informing people who may assume that the flash to CDMA ST will be seamless like with Boost, when according to the OP it is not.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    This keeps coming up. *sigh*

The sellers on eBay offering phone flashing to Straight Talk are altering MEIDs (which is a legally questionable process, at best). It stops working because your phone lacks the "air tank" software Straight Talk puts on their Verizon-powered CDMA phones.

Also, the MMS issue is the same as flashing a Sprint phone to Page Plus. But again, it's moot because it's a constant cat-and-mouse game trying to keep the service active.

Feedback Score
    Well I'm so sorry I thought I would just help out but I never had a issue with they "air tank issue" in the 6 months I had it on.

Feedback Score
    I don't get what this air tank thing is.

Did you lose your number?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redking117 View Post
    I don't get what this air tank thing is.

Did you lose your number?
    The "Prepaid" menu is the user interface to the air tank software. It communicates both ways to Straight Talk's servers and if you have a cloned phone on Straight Talk, you'll get strange "computer code" text messages (which were intended to be interpreted and responded to by the air tank software).

Eventually what will happen is your account will show a "Pending Transaction" on Straight Talk's site and you won't be able to refill or switch to a different phone. If you call customer service, they'll ask you to enter some codes in on the "Prepaid" menu, which you won't be able to do since your cloned phone doesn't have one.

I've only ever attempted to assist others with this problem on phones that they had purchased from eBay as flashed to Straight Talk, so I can't be entirely sure what will ultimately happen to your number.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to gotanmp3 for clarifying what happens to phones without the "Airtank" software, but the question i have is why doesn't this happen to the GSM phones using the sim switch. The Nokias are locked and likely have the "airtank"(my assumption), so is this a cdma only thing as far as the communication between the airtank and ST servers is concerned.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtv88 View Post
    Thanks to gotanmp3 for clarifying what happens to phones without the "Airtank" software, but the question i have is why doesn't this happen to the GSM phones using the sim switch. The Nokias are locked and likely have the "airtank"(my assumption), so is this a cdma only thing as far as the communication between the airtank and ST servers is concerned.
    The Nokia smartphones lack the air tank. I'd also venture a guess that the Android powered phones that use Sprint's network also have no air tank, either. The purpose of the air tank is to enforce the limits of the $30 "All You Need" plan, which is why all the phones without air tank software require the $45 unlimited plan.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    so basically use a sprint networks android(to junk) meid st phone and load your prefered prl and enjoy

Feedback Score
    I never had that airtank issue I also never used anything else other then the $45 plan and never let it lapse. Maybe I was just lucky.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    It may be a security change that Straight Talk has implemented as they are aware that people are cloning/flashing phones onto their CDMA service. Even if they are totally oblivious to the ads on eBay/CL, none of the Verizon-powered CDMA phones are capable of EVDO speeds, so it's a dead giveaway when your phone is using data far more quickly than any of their official phones.

As far as the Sprint-powered phones go, while it's probably possible to clone onto the Sprint side of Straight Talk and evade detection - you* may as well just do the same thing on Boost, because it's exactly the same network.

* Figuratively speaking, of course. I am not advocating any legally questionable activities.