Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Got Scammed with a Samsung Galaxy S2 - Tmobile says IMEI is blocked

Im sure I'm not the first one who this has happened to

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 from someone on Craigslist. I put my SIM in and it kept giving me a "your sim card does not allow a connection to this network" error every time I tried to connect to the network.

After being on the phone troubleshooting for 2 hours, Tmobile's "second level support" told me that the IMEI is blacklisted/blocked and only the original owner can call and release it (the guy who I bought the phone off of stopped answering his phone)

So, what can I do? Am I really just stuck with a $500 media player? I thought carrier's didn't blacklist IMEI numbers anymore.

Is there really Anything I can do at this point? I was really looking forward to using the S2. Heard great things about it.
    Hey Twerds, Follow me on Twitter!

RIP Telus Exclusivity: March 2000-March 2009.
    FIDO was decent: March 2009-July 2011
    Helllooo Tmobile Amurrricka: July 2011-?

Dumb Phones: Sanyo SCP4000, Sanyo SCP6000, Audiovox 8100, Audiovox 8300, Samsung A630, LG TM520, Sony T206, LG 490, Nokia 6265i
    Smart Phones: Kyocera 7135, UTstarcomm 6700, Blackberry 7130e, Blackberry 8130, Blackberry 8330, Blackberry 9530, iPhone 3G 16gb
    , Blackberry Bold 9700, Tmobile G2, Samsung Galaxy S2

Carriers
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Im sure insurance replacements stil get blacklisted...no way theyre gonna let u have two phones just for paying the deductible.
    What u shouldve done was pop in ur sim and have verified that everything works as it shoukd b4 handing the money to the seller. I personally dont buy from cl without verifying one way or another.
    Anyways, if it is a phone replaced under insurance, u will not be able to use that phone, ever. If it is blacklisted for another reason, well i would think the original owner of the phone would be the only one who can undo it.
    Good luck~!

Sent from my DROID3 using HowardForums

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Leave a voicemail to the person that sold you the phone that he had better fess up. Explain that if he doesn't rectify the problem, that you will get the local authorities involved. Get a written explanation from T-Mobile explaining why the phone is blacklisted.

Feedback Score
    When did TMobile start a blacklist for stolen phones? I thought only CDMA carriers did this. And testing your SIM at time of payment is not enough, as it could be a newly stolen phone, yet to be reported and blacklisted hours or days later.

Phones
    iPhone 5 White, Galaxy S4 White
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Was it new in the box?

Is the seller still advertising on Craigslist?

You can have it unlocked and use it on AT&T or in Canada to recoup your losses.

Speaks for itself, Sprint. Try more actions and not lip service.
    Google+

Phones
    Google Nexus 4
    NETGEAR 4G LTE Mobile Router, Novatel 4510L, HTC Rezound
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless|-T--Mobile USA|Get More|
    Feedback Score
    Root, backup, and then delete the /EFS folder, reboot, and try it

Feedback Score
    Seems more and more of this is happening on CL. This is the third time this month or in about a month some one has been ripped from CL.

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acecrackr View Post
    Im sure insurance replacements stil get blacklisted...no way theyre gonna let u have two phones just for paying the deductible.
    There's no information that insurance replacements are blacklisted. T-Mobile rep, newguy78, recently posted that T-Mobile is specifically blacklisting phones that were purchased on the EIP payment plan and then not paid off.

This is more outrageous behavior on the part of the execs at T-Mobile USA. They are purposely doing this because they know it will depress the resale market when we go to sell our phones, and more people will buy phones from them.

Even testing a SIM card in the device won't be foolproof as the seller could make payments up to the time of the sale, default afterwards, and one day your device just won't work anymore.

T-Mobile has no legal right to do this. Thus complaints need to be filed with the FTC and the FCC. Perhaps a law firm that specializes in class action lawsuits could be found that would be willing to take this on.

T-Mobile doesn't even have the decency to notify customers that it is doing this nor does it provide them with a website to check that the IMEI numbers are in good standing. This action is so wrong on so many levels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    T-Mobile has no legal right to do this.
    T-Mobile doesn't even have the decency to notify customers that it is doing this nor does it provide them with a website to check that the IMEI numbers are in good standing. This action is so wrong on so many levels.
    I agree but I think Tmobile has their bases covered on this one in Terms and Conditions. Check out the underlined sentence below...

* Cancellation and Returns. Service Cancellation: You can cancel a new line of Service without paying an Early Termination Fee if you cancel WITHIN 14 DAYS of activating a new line of Service (30 days in California; other states may differ - ask your sales representative) ("Cancellation Period"). You remain responsible for all Charges incurred through the date of cancellation. To cancel Service during the Cancellation Period, you may be required to go to the place where you activated Service and return any T-Mobile Device you acquired at the time of activation. You must return your T-Mobile Device in its package with all original contents, undamaged and in good working condition with no material alterations to the Device's hardware or software. If you do not return your T-Mobile Device or if you return your T-Mobile Device in a damaged, altered or destroyed condition, we may take one or more of the following actions: (a) prevent your T-Mobile Device from working on any network; (b) charge you the Early Termination Fee; (c) elect not to process your Service cancellation; or (d) charge you the suggested retail price or the cost to repair a T-Mobile Device, (which may be greater than the price you paid), plus any shipping and handling charges. Device Refunds and Restocking Fees: For T-Mobile Device and accessory returns and exchanges, see the applicable return policy, which is available at your place of purchase. Some T-Mobile Devices and accessories may not be refunded or exchanged, and you may be required to pay a restocking fee.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Appreciate all the responses, folks.

I got on the phone again with Tmobile this morning and pleaded my case. I told them I was out $400 bucks because of someone else's actions, and that I have 4 lines with them that are coming up for renewal next month.. which won't be renewing. But they kept apologizing saying they couldn't do anything about it.

Somebody suggested that I put in a Simple Mobile sim to see if it works, but that doesn't either. I'm gonna try my buddy's AT&T SIM when I see him this afternoon. Hopefully it isn't blocked on all networks, like RAINIER mentioned above.

Also, it was suggested that I root and delete the EFS folder. Is that safe? I'm reading on a lot of developer and root sites that it removing the EFS messes up your phone permanently.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    I don't recommend the EFS idea.

AT&T is a reasonable idea, since it supports their 3G as well. Usually one carrier doesn't have access to the other's blacklist. If that works but you don't want AT&T, at least you know you could resell it for AT&T use.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Phones
    All of them
    Samsung Galaxy Note N700
    HTC Amaze (TMOUS)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by karmakarma777 View Post
    Appreciate all the responses, folks.

I got on the phone again with Tmobile this morning and pleaded my case. I told them I was out $400 bucks because of someone else's actions, and that I have 4 lines with them that are coming up for renewal next month.. which won't be renewing. But they kept apologizing saying they couldn't do anything about it.

Somebody suggested that I put in a Simple Mobile sim to see if it works, but that doesn't either. I'm gonna try my buddy's AT&T SIM when I see him this afternoon. Hopefully it isn't blocked on all networks, like RAINIER mentioned above.

Also, it was suggested that I root and delete the EFS folder. Is that safe? I'm reading on a lot of developer and root sites that it removing the EFS messes up your phone permanently.
    AFAIK deleting the EFS folder will reset the IMEI to a default Samsung IMEI. The only problem with this is this to could be blocked at a later date since it's not a correct IMEI and defeats one of the many reasons they have IMEIs in the first place. In theory it should work, at least for awhile. The worst thing you could do is back up the EFS folder and try it, and end up being forced to restore the original IMEI at a later date

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy S III (TMOUS)
    HTC One X (Tegra 3)
    HTC Amaze (TMOUS)
    Galaxy Tab 10.1

Phones
    iPhone 5 White, Galaxy S4 White
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Deleting that folder results in NO IMEI which will not connect to the T-Mobile network either. And on the Galaxy S II for T-Mobile the IMEI is not stored in the EFS folder, we don't know where it is.

AT&T will definitely work.

T-Mobile can block IMEI's all day long. Verizon and Sprint do it similarly. WE don't even know if this phone was stolen from T-Mobile in which they ALWAYS block the IMEI.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    AT&T will definitely work.
    Obviously you would need to unlock the typical SIM lock that a branded T-Mobile always has before trying it on AT&T. Since T-Mobile won't give you the code, you'll need to find a third party provider for that.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Might have been stolen, and T-Mobile blocked it completely.

Wouldn't SimpleMobile have it blocked too, since that's really T-Mobile's network they are using?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast