Thread: Air Voice, Att mvno, replaces all "unlimited" plans w/ 5000 minute/10000 text ones

Feedback Score

Air Voice, Att mvno, replaces all "unlimited" plans w/ 5000 minute/10000 text ones

Air Voice, a Att mvno , will be changing all of its "unlimited" plans in the next two weeks or so. They are coming out as the first prepaid mvno to say it like it is about "unlimited". They are dropping the term "unlimited" from all current plans that have that listed: They are now

$35: 5000 minutes/10000 texts plan
    $40:5000 minutes/10000 texts/$10 ILD
    $50:5000 minutes/10000 texts/1000 mms/100mb/$20 ILD
    $60: 5000 minutes/10000 texts/1000mms/500 mb/$20 ILD.

Is saying 5000 minute/10000 text/1000mms plan unwieldy? Yes.

Is it brutally honest. Hell yeah.

On their company literature, Air Voice put "Most other companies offer "unlimited" plans when it's truly not unlimited."

I LOVE that honesty. FINALLY, a heavy user prepaid wireless carrier ADMITTING its NOT UNLIMITED and being transparent about caps.

FINALLY.

Red Pocket made a good move with being straight up about 2gb and not unlimited on their data. Air Voice gsm takes it one step further and just tells you straight out what EXACTLY you'll be getting for your hard earned money.

When Air Voice was said to be considering labelling their no longer launched 1 gb plan as "unlimited" I was seriously wondering wtf as what would happen when Red Pocket/Jolt has a 2gb plan and they don't label it "unlimited" . How can you offer less and call it "unlimited".

Probably seeing the disastrous PR that H20 and earlier Simple Mobile got over their "unlimited" data plans and such, Air Voice appears to be launching a preemptive strike of honesty and transparency.

I APPLAUD this move. It is refreshingly honest and NO BS.

I think a lot of users will appreciate Air Voice's transparent policy and calling a plan EXACTLY what it is.

Good move Air Voice . Good move. I see a lot of disgruntled users from other "unlimited" plans signing up with them. ("I only used 3000 minutes on my unlimited plan and they kicked me off...")

Now if only they could get more data then 500 mb...

I think Air Voice's legal eagles are getting some really good sleep... not so for H20 and Simple. Lol.
    Last edited by fonezfonz; 12-29-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    I just wish that they'd separate out Voice, Data, and Texts and let me pay a reasonable price for what I actually use.

Ting comes close, but their brackets are too large (1,000 to 2,000 and 2,000 to 3,000).

Feedback Score
    Prices vary but there is generally a huge gap between $30 and $40 in what you get.

Tmobile $30: 1500 minutes or messages/30 mb data.

Virgin Mobile Paylo: $30 1500 minutes/1500 messages/30 mb data

Att Gophone $25: 250 minutes/unlimited messaging.

Page Plus $29.95: 1200 minutes/3000 texts/100 mb data.

Simple Mobile $40. Unlimited everything.

Most Att mvnos: $40 Unlimited talk/text (with variations).

Page Plus$39.95 Unlimited talk/text/mms/20 mb data.

Frankly, I think the $35 plan from Air Voice will be their strongest asset. They are going to a brave new world by eliminating the magic words "unlimited". Whether this will be good or not for business remains to be seen. If anything, it will garner respect from users who have been burned by other "unlimited" carriers like H20 and Simple who are NOT unlimited.

5000 minutes and 10,000 texts is awkward compared to "unlimited" but it's honest.

The average "unlimited" user burns less then 2000 minutes a month. 99% of users on in general who talk , use less then 5000 minutes a month.

Air Voice is getting rid of that top 1-5% mega talker crowd and with their modest sums of data, they will not attract the data pig...uh hog crowd like H20 and Simple does.

Smart business if a little risky maybe.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Looks like wholesale voice is getting super cheap were as data is the Cash cow for the big 4 almost entirely.

5k minutes is a lot of minutes. At least you don't have to worry about losing your number if you go over. You Just get turned off till the end of the month. But man, that is an awful lot of talking.

If I weren't addicted to my iPhone with UL data. I would go for this. Which is what big fat blue is counting on.

When I got my first cell phone I would have killed for this. The phone was 1500 and was 50 a month and it didn't include any minutes. Was 1.50 a min if you used it. Luckily there weren't any towers then.

And since this is an AT&T mvno when you call your friends on AT&T it is mobile to mobile for them so they don't have an excuse to shut you up!
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Feedback Score
    To Pattyrn. I've heard a few references to mobile to mobile between the parent carrier and its mvno/prepaid divisions but have you actually experienced this on your own? I vaguely recall something about H20 or Tracfone having m2m in some cases...

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    The mobile to mobile is only for the AT&T customers. If an att mvno customer calls an AT&T customer it will use the minutes for the mvno customer but the AT&T customers account will see it as mobile to mobile.

My dad has a trac that uses AT&T towers. When he calls my AT&T contract phone my account sees the call as mobile to mobile. ( where of course the call uses his tracfone minutes).

So a person with the av 5k plan might call a person that is on AT&T contract and it will be seen as a mobile to mobile call for the AT&T customer. (AT&T customer might only have 700 anytime minutes but these won't get used). All of the other mvnos and corresponding underlying carriers don't enjoy the same relationship.

If someone on a page plus unlimited calls a vzw customer. The vzw customer will be billed for the minutes, so for someone on a low vzw pre or post paid plan their minutes could get eaten up pretty fast.

Some AT&T post paid accounts now see all mobiles as mobile to mobile.

Sprint post paid is supposed to see all mobile calls as mobile to mobile as well.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Verizon mvnos offer 3000-3200 7pm night and anytime weekend minutes on their monthly plans . A Verizon prepaid person may or may not receive it as mobile to mobile depending on their plan then probably.

I've heard information saying it does and does not. Att apparently does so more then not. Apparently Tmobile and its mvnos are m2m too. Considering two of them (Walmart Family Mobile and Simple) are both unlimited only in talk minutes, its irrelevant mobile to mobile for them...).

Sprint prepaid/mvnos? IDK.

Free unlimited nights, weekends and m2m were a big thing in the recent past (3 years ago?) but now they are becoming less popular , especially with the prepaid carriers with the exception of Verizon prepaid and mvnos. The problem with the Verizon mvnos is that I can't think of a single Verizon mvno which is stable aside from Page Plus and little known H20 cdma. All the rest are fly by nighters it seems...with the exception of ACRS Wireless (Owner /company got burned by Mvno X Red/Xila Telecom screwup...)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    Air Voice, a Att mvno , will be changing all of its "unlimited" plans in the next two weeks or so. They are coming out as the first prepaid mvno to say it like it is about "unlimited". They are dropping the term "unlimited" from all current plans that have that listed: They are now

$35: 5000 minutes/10000 texts plan
    $40:5000 minutes/10000 texts/$10 ILD
    $50:5000 minutes/10000 texts/1000 mms/100mb/$20 ILD
    $60: 5000 minutes/10000 texts/1000mms/500 mb/$20 ILD.
    Do you know when this change will be made? I just went to their web-page and don't (yet) see the $35 plan. It's still $39.95 for "unlimited" talk and text.

Feedback Score
    Apparently, it's in effect for their dealers /agents as of now but won't be publicized officially for a couple of weeks. I see the new $35 plan getting a lot of attention when it becomes official. You can call Air Voice customer care (they're the second fastest responding Att mvno CS after Jolt, they will answer within one to two minutes vs say 15 minutes on Red Pocket and half an hour on H20) and they will confirm its existence. Perhaps a local dealer can help you...Happy New Year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    Apparently, it's in effect for their dealers /agents as of now but won't be publicized officially for a couple of weeks. I see the new $35 plan getting a lot of attention when it becomes official. You can call Air Voice customer care (they're the second fastest responding Att mvno CS after Jolt, they will answer within one to two minutes vs say 15 minutes on Red Pocket and half an hour on H20) and they will confirm its existence. Perhaps a local dealer can help you...Happy New Year.
    Thanks for the response fonefonz. I've got a child (paying for phone service herself) on AT&T's prepaid paying $47.50 (via CallingMart) for AT&T's $50 prepaid service and this should be of help to her. I realize the service is not an apples to apples comparison (no data, which is fine) and no international texting afaik (not sure whether the $5 ILD will still exist in the new plan). But, is the coverage for any of the AT&T MVNOs identical to AT&T prepaid? Not sure if the dealers get an incentive for a number port and, if yes, if it's ok for me to ask them to PM me to move this child over.

Feedback Score
    MOST Att mvnos are the same non roaming Native Att network coverage as Gophone. Air Voice , Red Pocket, Jolt, Pure Talk/prepaid, H20 are all the same.

Att mvnos/prepaid has no roaming but their coverage area has recently increased in size due to their adding former Alltel cdma areas to the coverage map. These areas can only be accessed with a 3G Att capable phone. Unlocked generic gsm and Tmobile devices without 850/1900mhz 3g won't have any coverage at all in those areas. Mostly way out like the Dakotas, etc .

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Its on their website right now.

http://www.airvoicewireless.com/Plans12272011.aspx

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    This is the way all prepaids should market themselves, be honest with no surprises.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The 5,000 minutes, 10,000 texts would be $33.61 through CallingMart if the discounts still apply 1% plus the 3%.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the post OTG. Looks like they finally are up and running. I'm wondering how they will contrast with other prepaid carriers like H20 and Simple which are known to be using trickery to claim "unlimited".

Methinks there will be a sizeable market of people who got burned at least once by a previous "unlimited" mvno.

On another note, Air Voice sims activated on paygo no longer get any airtime. Before they were giving away $2.50 credit/25 minutes. No more.

H20 did away with it too. Could be an Att to mvno thing. Hard to say...
    Last edited by fonezfonz; 01-02-2012 at 08:36 PM.