Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 100MB enough data?

Feedback Score

100MB enough data?

This is for those who have a 3g smartphone. Do you get along well with the $30 100MB plan? Has anyone went to the $55 plan for more data? i just can't bring myself to pay Verizon $75 and not even get text.

Phones
    Droid Razr Maxx HD, Blackberry Z10
    Blackberry Z10
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I went through 100mb driving to work this morning.

Sent from my Xoom using HowardForums

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    I went through 100mb on one speedtest just now. But that's not on PagePlus.

Yes, its possible to make 100mb work, it all depends on what your needs are.

Regular video and audio streaming? Forget it.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    If you limit the data use to checking email once or twice a day as well as text based mobile websites its entirely possible that 100Mb would suffice for some users. It really depends on your usage patterns and how frequently you go online.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    As mentioned above, it is completely up to the user. In my case, and I understand that it is not the norm, I use WiFi for data almost exclusively. I use the Standard Plan, and I rarely use even 1MB/mo of cellular data. There are lots of users with a lot more normal usage patterns using less than 100MB/mo on the TnT1200 plan. You just have to control your data usage. Many root and use DroidWall to control cellular data usage. Streaming with cellular data will use up a LOT of data. However, the really great thing about the TnT1200 is that extra data only costs $0.10/MB, so, for example, an EXTRA 100MB would only cost $10 more (http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plan...xt%201200.aspx).
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    When I was on the tnt1200 and had wifi at home and work I had:

K-9 Push Mail
    Exchange Push Mail
    Facebook
    Weatherbug
    Messaging
    Opera Mini Browser

All enabled via droidwall. Using my device regularly I still had 40+MB left every month. I went down to "The 12" starting today and saved even more. Again, stay away from streaming services and you'll be just fine.

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    100MB is a very finite amount of data; however greater than 50% of smart phone users are within 200MB of data according to this report: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/20/avera...-per-mb-drops/

Staying within 100MB would require some effort by the user. Try disabling cellular data until you want to use it (no phantom data usage). Heavy applications like video, and music should be avoided. Alternatively, use WiFi as much as possible. Also, Opera Mini web browser has a data compression system that cuts down on data usage. Furthermore, overage on Page Plus is reasonable; i think it's $.1 per MB (so $15 for 150MB overage).

Also consider: the 1200 plan was upgraded from 50MB to 100MB in January 2011. It's reasonable to conclude that it MAY get bumped to 200MB this year.

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have a Droid 2 on the TnT1200 plan. I set it up according to this thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...r-Limited-Data

My month is up on 1/8/12 and as of today I've used 8mb of data. I usually only check a few sites a day (including my gmail, facebook, and twitter) using Opera Mini while on break at work. Also I've done a few barcode scans and searches while out shopping using Scan Life. Opera Mini is very efficient with data use. I plan on changing things around as I get used to which apps use more data but for now, it meets my needs and I've used less that 10% of the 100mb.

Now all that being said, most times when I need data I have WiFi available. According to 3g watchdog I've used nearly 6GB of data over Wifi in the past month. Lots of streaming vids and app downloads and such.

So in conclusion, if you're careful and have wifi access available much of the time the 100mb is easily doable.

Feedback Score
    I'm not a smart-phone user, but I have a question with regards to this thread. For you folks that say that you "use wi-fi when available", well, where would that be? I mean, if you are accessing the internet on your phone, wouldn't that usually be at work or at home? And wouldn't it make more sense to use your pc at home to access whatever it is you are getting? If you are away from either work or home, what is it that you are accessing the internet for, and where are you getting the wi-fi access to do it with? (Just curious!)

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessie* View Post
    I'm not a smart-phone user, but I have a question with regards to this thread. For you folks that say that you "use wi-fi when available", well, where would that be? I mean, if you are accessing the internet on your phone, wouldn't that usually be at work or at home? And wouldn't it make more sense to use your pc at home to access whatever it is you are getting? If you are away from either work or home, what is it that you are accessing the internet for, and where are you getting the wi-fi access to do it with? (Just curious!)
    I would say that most everywhere I go has wifi access of some kind. So I use their wifi. Several eateries/bars have wifi, all of the clinics/hospitals too. Wifi at work, home and in my car. Really the only time I need 3G is when I'm in my wife's car or at wal-mart.

I don't want to carry around my laptop around the house just to check email and look up some BS facts due to whatever I'm watching on TV. When I am away from wifi, about the only thing I am concerned about is getting and responding to my email, checking various statuses of things I have going on, and keeping a to-do/shopping list.

Should note that my DroidX easily has enough battery for me to just leave wifi on all the time. So when I wander into a wifi area my phone knows about, it just connects automatically and is seamless to me. I use droidwall to allow only certain apps to use 3G when I am not near wifi.

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptalk1 View Post
    This is for those who have a 3g smartphone. Do you get along well with the $30 100MB plan? Has anyone went to the $55 plan for more data? i just can't bring myself to pay Verizon $75 and not even get text.
    Short answer: NO!!!

I have a Palm Pixi and did not even use it as a smart phone this month (didn't open any apps). At the end of the month, I had 3MB left and it was all used just from background data usage. Whenever I simply open a navigation app or Yelp, I can count on a minimum of 5-10MB of data gone within a few minutes!

Feedback Score
    Was thinking of switching over from Straight Talk but I really want to use Pandora... really surprising how much data it uses.. I have been using youtube to play individual songs I want to hear and have only used 170MB in the last 2 weeks that's including all my web browsing, app downloading, and Internet Radio streaming. seems like pandora would use a lot yes.

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redking117 View Post
    Was thinking of switching over from Straight Talk but I really want to use Pandora... really surprising how much data it uses..
    Yeah... for 100MB, you can only stream about 3.5 hours of music!

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm a Standard Plan user, and use Wi-Fi for data exclusively, and am generally a pretty frugal person.

You all do realize that there is a huge portion of the gadget consuming public that considers people who conserve on this kind of stuff to be outright freaks, don't you?

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyk4952 View Post
    Short answer: NO!!!

I have a Palm Pixi and did not even use it as a smart phone this month (didn't open any apps). At the end of the month, I had 3MB left and it was all used just from background data usage. Whenever I simply open a navigation app or Yelp, I can count on a minimum of 5-10MB of data gone within a few minutes!
    You could keep data turned off all the time except when you need it. That might help conserve data...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast