Thread: LG Optimus V freezes 5-10x daily?

Feedback Score

Angry LG Optimus V freezes 5-10x daily?

I got my LG Optimus V four months ago from bestbuy after listening to my brother rave about it for months and months. After only a month, I noticed my phone would freeze up occasionally during random times, and then catch up and start working again within 30 seconds. Now, however, it freezes all of the time, for no reason at all. It will freeze when I'm swyping in my password design, when I'm turning on the screen, when I'm swyping a text/sending a text, when I'm trying to open something (anything) on my phone, when I'm trying desperately to answer a call and the screen is frozen and I can't answer it (the most frustrating thing ever!), and on and on. It used to take about 30-40 seconds to unfreeze and work properly again, but now the majority of the time it simply gives me the message that "whatever has stopped responding, etc etc. Force Close? Wait?' and I always have to force close. I get the messages for apps, messaging, android system in general, etc.

I don't have feel like I have a vast amount of apps on my phone, at least not compared to my brother (WHO, mind you, has never once had a problem with his phone) and I've cleared some of my text messages to see if that would help, but nope! My SD card says Total Space= 1.86GB, Available Space= 1.78GB, and Internal Phone Storage, Available Space= 18.34MB.

Should I take it back to BestBuy and get a new one? This is absolutely driving me CRAZY. Any ideas or people in the same boat?

Feedback Score
    I would send it back. My OV worked great so I think yours is a bad one.

Carrier
    VM-USA
    Feedback Score
    Before you send it back, look into why your Available Space in Internal Phone Storage is only 18.34MB. That's a pretty small amount of free storage and even though the phone SHOULD operate fine with that amount free, I have found my OV acting buggy any time the Available Space drops below 20MB. I fight a constant battle trying to keep my OV with at least 35MB of free space.

The biggest cause of this free space disappearing seems to be the Android Market constantly trying to update your apps, especially the apps that come pre-installed on the phone. You might try downloading, from the Market, an app called App2SD which will allow you to see exactly which apps you have installed and whether they reside on your SD card or in the phones memory and will also allow you to move some apps from the phones memory to the SD card it's possible to move them. Some apps however, cannot be moved. App2SD also makes it very easy to uninstall apps that you can live without and shows you a running tally of your phones available space as you uninstall apps.

Everybody says that you can stop all this nonsense by rooting the phone, but I have not yet attempted that.

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Virgin Mobile Android device thread, meet Virgin Mobile Android device sub-forum.

Thread moved.

Become a Premium Member
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Have you looked at the cache size of various apps? They grow.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just saw my Dolphin browser cache is 45 mb.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I stopped using Dolphin when I found out they were sending every URL I visited to the Mother Ship. (Now they've disguised it.)

Truth about Android is, usually it's just some rogue app running around, or simply running, when it's not supposed to be. Or a whole army of them, especially on a device with not-very-much memory to spare to begin with.

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    I would factory reset and reinstall only the apps you need, one at a time, to see if it is a problem app that is causing the freezes. Make sure everything is moved to the SD, and try to keep a little more internal memory available. It seems to bog down any android phone when your internal memory is low, for some reason.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    My OV does the same thing, it is lil less than 3 months old, stsrted after month and a half, freezes several times a day, after about 30 secs it un freezes. I have over 60MB avail so I know it isnt that, I clear the cache every few days. I know 2 others with these phones, 1 has no issues the other also has freezing problems. I end up restsrting it everyday, but getting annoying lol
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Carriers
    T-mobile Prepaid
    T-mobile ToGo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hershey_squirt View Post
    I would factory reset and reinstall only the apps you need, one at a time, to see if it is a problem app that is causing the freezes.
    I agree. I did a factory reset of my Optimus V, and it solved some minor issues. If you're planning to send it in for a replacement anyway, then you've got nothing to lose by trying a factory reset first.

I used Appbrain App market (on the phone and via their web site) to keep track of what apps I had installed originally, and to choose which apps I wanted to reinstall (the actual installs use the real Market), though the Appbrain app itself was causing some of my brief freezes on my phone (confirmed with various CPU monitoring apps) in other apps, so I always Kill it with "Advanced Task Killer" after I'm done using it on my phone to stop it from eating up CPU cycles in the background.

Of course, use App2SD to make sure anything that can be moved to SD is moved to SD (this is if you don't want to root your phone and use more powerful solutions like Link2SD and/or newer/enhanced versions of Android).

Feedback Score
    If only I knew a bit more about phones! I'm not sure what caches are (or at least not more than what I googled..), how much is too much, and how to back up my phone or reset it. I did download Watchdog Lite, and it seems to have cut my freezing down to 4-7x a day, but that's still not too great. I have noticed, however, that the error message usually says, "Process com.android.launcher has stopped unexpectedly.." so not sure if that means anything..
    If I WERE to get a new phone, would I be able to transfer all of my pictures, texts, and data in general to the new phone? Does that app2SD handle that?
    Thanks guys!

Carriers
    T-mobile Prepaid
    T-mobile ToGo
    Feedback Score
    - To clear cache, I use "1Tap Cleaner", and "App2SD" can also clear your cache.

- App2SD has nothing to do with backup.

- Your photos are already on your SD card.

- Backing up your data is dependent on each app.

- As I said, I used AppBrain App Market to keep track of what apps I had installed so I could reinstall them.

- My Gmail, calendar, and contacts are already on Google, so no need to back those up.

- I backed up my text messages and call log to GMail with "SMS Backup +".

- A couple other apps had internal options to back up settings to the SD card, or already saved their data on the SD card, and most of the apps didn't really have any data that needed saving.

- I copied my entire SD card to my PC right before the factory reset, so I wouldn't lose anything on it.

- Factory reset (after backing up what you need, as per above) is very simple (though it would take me a few seconds to Google for the instructions).

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    My intercept will do that (freeze non-stop, have to force close stuff right and left) if the available internal memory gets below ~30 MB. Since you've only got 18 MB of free space, I'd definitely look into getting rid of some apps you don't need, make sure as many apps as possible are moved to the SD card, and like others mentioned clear the cache of some of the apps. To clear the cache, go to settings > applications > manage applications (assuming your Optimus menu is the same as my Intercept), then browse through some of the apps you use a lot and try clearing the cache of some of them to free up more MBs.

Definitely get back above 30 MB of free space, although I try to keep 45 or so free on my Intercept (and THAT is a real challenge, as there is so little room in the first place). ;-)
    My toys:
    -Samsung Intercept with 8GB Micro SD card, loaded up with tons of GBA games (Fire Emblem FTW!).
    -Motorola RAZR V3m (Dark Pearl Gray) flashed to ViVo with COOL custom skins and all.
    -Motorola E815 flashed to Bell and loaded with 100s of Java games!