Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $12 Plan is Today's Featured Story on Clark Howard

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

$12 Plan is Today's Featured Story on Clark Howard

Wow, this is pretty cool. The $12 monthly plan is Today's Featured Story on Clark Howard's home page. He also talked about it yesterday on his radio show, and tweeted about it. That should give the plan some great exposure with the money-saving folks who follow him!

http://www.clarkhoward.com/
    http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clar...ne-plan/nGGRM/

Feedback Score
    This is going to be a direct challenge to traditional paygo. We'll see if monthly plans for the ultra low user catches on and starts a trend between traditional paygo and heavier user monthly plans (i.e. 1200 minute TNT, etc). For $96 you get 3000 minutes, 3000 texts and 120 megs that lasts a year vs 2000 minutes for $80 on paygo. The text and data rates are much better here then on paygo...even on overages.

Phones
    Motorola Q (PP w QNC)
    Samsung A437 (Beyond, Tmo2go)
    INpulse Audiovox 8615 (Airvoice)
    Carriers
    Page Plus Cellular
    Beyond GSM, Tmo2go
    Feedback Score
    I still don't get how it works. I buy the $12 PIN, then can I add an $80 PIN? It will deduct $12 per month plus 50c fee plus 20c/MB over the 10MB alloted (I hardly make any calls or texts)?

Might just go with an $80 PIN on the regular plan and use wifi and only use PP data in an emergency at 99c. My Incredible is coming Monday. Looks like if you port, they don't charge for activation, tho you can get those for free on ebay.

Carriers
    StraightTalk
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    This is going to be a direct challenge to traditional paygo. We'll see if monthly plans for the ultra low user catches on and starts a trend between traditional paygo and heavier user monthly plans (i.e. 1200 minute TNT, etc). For $96 you get 3000 minutes, 3000 texts and 120 megs that lasts a year vs 2000 minutes for $80 on paygo. The text and data rates are much better here then on paygo...even on overages.
    I think your math is off. It'd be $144 for the year with the 12 plan. Also, I'd think there is no carry over from month to month with minutes on the 12 while the paygo does carry over minutes. The two have their pros and cons.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    I think your math is off. It'd be $144 for the year with the 12 plan. Also, I'd think there is no carry over from month to month with minutes on the 12 while the paygo does carry over minutes. The two have their pros and cons.
    True. For my current usage, the $80 PIN on the Standard Plan will save me $64/year vs the $144/year for The 12 AND I'll still have $s left to roll over each year. But people's needs change, so it is really great that PPC now has more low-cost options.
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Feedback Score
    I agree - more choice is good. Currently, I also have a phone through my employer so my personal phone is on the Standard Plan. However, if I lost my job (which unfortch I expect in March) and hence the iPhone went away, I would probably sign up for the 12 plan. I think it's awesome to have a tier below that $30 level which every other carrier seems to consider the minimum.

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by der_lizzard View Post
    I think it's awesome to have a tier below that $30 level which every other carrier seems to consider the minimum.
    Virgin does have a 20.00 plan with 400 minutes.
    Both offerings are a good deal and I'm thinking they would probably like to get rid of pay as you go and will slowly roll out plans (and maybe even raise paygo rates) to entice people to switch.

Feedback Score
    still cheaper to get the 2000 minute/12 month card for 80 bucks, but if you want some texting ability the $12 plan is great too. The 10 megs of data isn't worth mentioning it's so low. But that's what home wi-fi is for.

Just got the droid 2 activated today. It's GPS is quite accurate for geocaching too... the c:geo program with custom made offline map files is a blast.. no data usage geocaching ftw.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
    still cheaper to get the 2000 minute/12 month card for 80 bucks, but if you want some texting ability the $12 plan is great too. The 10 megs of data isn't worth mentioning it's so low. But that's what home wi-fi is for.

Just got the droid 2 activated today. It's GPS is quite accurate for geocaching too... the c:geo program with custom made offline map files is a blast.. no data usage geocaching ftw.
    Well, 10 MB is not much for sure.. I am thinking this as 250 min + 250 txt/MMS plan... Data-wise, initial 10 MB does not mean much.. it is 20c/MB that matters more....

Feedback Score
    very true.. much better than a buck a meg. I have droidwall installed and all 3G data disabled, all wifi enabled. Will change that if I find I need data in the future. Very important to do that with a smart phone and just minutes. Otherwise I'm sure the phone would be more than happy to silently suck up data usage on random stuff and bleed a person dry.

Feedback Score
    My bad, for some reason I was thinking 8 months, not 12. Doh. End of year brainfreeze I guess. Anyway, PPC is going for a market no one else is except maybe Tracfone or Pure Talk with their "$10 a monthly plans" (which are actually paygo with only 30 day cycles and not nearly as good a deal as PPC 12).

I think occasional data users will be most interested with possibly moderate texters. For talk the 2000/$80 deal is hard to beat. 4 cents a minute is the one of the lowest straight bulk rates in the country short of codes, TMFL like tricks and other gimmicks...

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to see SMS packages that lasts for a whole year; I use SMS mostly as a inbound notification system. The pay per use rate of $0.10/message followed by large monthly buckets leaves something to be desired in the middle...

Some form of rollover on the 12 plan would be desirable too. I'd like to see more monthly rate plans in the 500 minute category; 250 is not enough.

Regardless, publicity for PP is a good thing. I've convinced several friends on prepaid to switch to PP, and they haven't looked back.

Feedback Score
    Considering how new the 12 is I don't think we're going to see any changes soon, especially increases. Page Plus invests little into this plan (if its 12 bucks retail, imagine their wholesale rate), so they have little to lose whether it's hugely popular or not (according to one major online PPC dealer, it is).

As it's a monthly plan, they are probably planning or hoping to make money on overages if any and won't allow rollover. Any time anybody comes up with a good plan, people want it to become an even better one and in most cases (with the exception of the 1200 plan which was improved twice), it never happens. And in some cases (like Virgin Mobile and H20), becomes worse.

I'd say, be happy with the plans PPC has. Hardly anyone else has even got a plan that's even close to this. And I don't count Tracfone, Pure Talk's so called monthly plans because they are simply paygo with a 30 day expiry which isn't a deal at all even with rollover (other paygos have longer expirys for standard paygo rates, including Tracfone's own paygo side).

Page Plus has a spread of four plans and each one is hitting a particular target and doing so very well. The 55 will probably get more people wanting data though it's been increased from 300 to 500 but it probably won't change soon either. 500 isn't enough for some people but for up to 80% of smartphone users, it's enough or close.

Either way, PPC is making money hand over fist.

And they wonder why the Owl is considered a wise creature...

Phones
    Moto X
    Moto X
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
    very true.. much better than a buck a meg. I have droidwall installed and all 3G data disabled, all wifi enabled. Will change that if I find I need data in the future. Very important to do that with a smart phone and just minutes. Otherwise I'm sure the phone would be more than happy to silently suck up data usage on random stuff and bleed a person dry.
    I'm a big fan of DroidWall, stockwiz! Highly recommend it!

Feedback Score
    If you go the best rate standard can give you , 4 cents times 250, for texts: 5 cents times 250 and 10 megs at 99 cents, $10 plus 12.50 plus 9.99, you end up spending 32.49 which is nearly triple the 12 plan rate and more expensive then the 29.95 1200 tnt plan. Sure, 30 day expiry, but not a bad little deal really...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast