Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roaming fees

Feedback Score

Roaming fees

On several threads on this forum I read of people mentioning they thought that the roaming fees had gone up to $.59. I had emailed PPC about a roaming question I had and although I didn't ask about the cost, here is what they responded:

"When you are roaming off-network, you will be charged a rate of 0.29˘ per minute or 0.59˘ per minute depending on the plan you are on for."

Here was the response to my question about how I will know if I am roaming:

"Generally speaking, when you are roaming off-network and pick up another carrier’s signal, you will encounter what is called Two-Stage Dialing. Two-Stage Dialing will prompt you (on calls that you make) to “please re-enter the 10-digit number you are calling; Do not press send.”. Your handset may also display a roaming indicator as well.

When making calls if you hear “please re-enter the 10-digit number you are calling; and you re-enter the number this will be a sure indication that your phone is roaming."

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    http://www.pagepluscellular.com/news/roaming.pdf

News Release
    For Immediate Release:
    Page Plus Cellular Lowers Roaming Rate for Prepaid Mobile Plans

Holland, OH, February 3, 2010 – Nationwide prepaid cell phone service provider Page Plus Cellular announced that effective today its U.S. roaming rate will be lowered from $.59 per minute to $.29 per minute. The roaming rate is the rate customers are charged when using their cell phone outside of the home service area of the provider. In the case of Page Plus Cellular, roaming areas are minimal due to its large nationwide network.
    The news follows last month’s announcement that Page Plus lowered the rates on its standard voice plan to as low as $.04 per minute. Yassine Yassine, Page Plus Executive Vice President, said, “We are continuing to make changes that offer more value to our customers. People want to save money wherever they can, and every little bit helps. Our standard prepaid mobile plans and monthly bundle plans of voice, text messaging and data offer an extremely affordable alternative to traditional postpaid cell phone plans.”
    Yassine went on to explain how the change will affect Page Plus Cellular customers. “There is a coverage map on our Web site that illustrates how the roaming areas are actually only a fraction of our national footprint. However, for the small percentage of customers who are affected by roaming, this rate reduction will help them lower their monthly cell phone expense even more.”
    Page Plus Cellular is a prepaid cell phone service provider with nationwide coverage on one of the largest wireless networks in the United States. Page Plus is consistently ranked among the top prepaid mobile providers for low rates and flexible plans. Page Plus cell phones and prepaid cellular plans are available through its large national network of dealers, and on its website at www.pagepluscellular.com.

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Feedback Score
    That article is from early 2010. The response I got from PCC was today, Jan. 6, 2011.

Feedback Score
    Sorry about that...I meant today, Jan. 6, 2012. Still getting the hang of what year it is.

I tried to edit my post, but it wouldn't let me. Does anyone else have this problem. It wouldn't let me quote it either.

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, the roaming rate has changed several times over the last couple of years, and it may be getting ready to change again soon. Look for an announcement over the next few weeks regarding some good news about changing roaming and data overage rates on a couple of plans.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyScher View Post
    Yeah, the roaming rate has changed several times over the last couple of years, and it may be getting ready to change again soon. Look for an announcement over the next few weeks regarding some good news about changing roaming and data overage rates on a couple of plans.
    So as of right now is it 29 cents per min roaming or 59 cents? I think everyone needs to hear it from you Denny.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    mdomaz and tracnet, I called PPC CS on 12/24/11 and the person I talked to verified that roaming is $0.29/min for all monthly plans. I told her that the PPC website says $0.59/min. She said she would e-mail her boss asking for it to be updated to $0.29/min for all monthly plans on the PPC website. Its a good thing I didn't hold my breath for the website correction to happen!
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    mdomaz and tracnet, I called PPC CS on 12/24/11 and the person I talked to verified that roaming is $0.29/min for all monthly plans. I told her that the PPC website says $0.59/min. She said she would e-mail her boss asking for it to be updated to $0.29/min for all monthly plans on the PPC website. Its a good thing I didn't hold my breath for the website correction to happen!
    Yep, agreed. I have had several interactions with PP that have all verified the cost to be 29cpm. But me thinks Denny needs to concur so the masses will be satisfied.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yes, that would be great if Denny could verify that ALL plans currently charge $0.29/minute for roaming. Especially considering that answers to the same question can often vary between PPC CS reps, or in the case of the iPhone fiasco, ALL of the PPC CS reps might be giving the wrong "official" answer at the same time!

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The roaming rate does vary by plan, and as far as I can see the website is correct. BUT, as I said before, some changes may be coming so hang tight. What I think is most interesting is that the question comes up at all. I'm hearing "the website says this" or "customer service told me that." But I have not heard anyone say "I roamed last week and I got charged xx." I think this really speaks to the coverage of the network, which all of you know, and that roaming is basically a non-issue.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The roaming rate does vary by plan, and as far as I can see the website is correct. BUT, as I said before, some changes may be coming so hang tight. What I think is most interesting is that the question comes up at all. I'm hearing "the website says this" or "customer service told me that." But I have not heard anyone say "I roamed last week and I got charged xx." I think this really speaks to the coverage of the network, which all of you know, and that roaming is basically a non-issue.
    That is true. But it would still be nice if the PPC website plan description, PPC CS reps, and even the press release copied from the PPC website and posted above by tracnet could all be accurate and consistent...

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    That is true. But it would still be nice if the PPC website plan description, PPC CS reps, and even the press release copied from the PPC website and posted above by tracnet could all be accurate and consistent...
    Thanks, point taken. I'll have Ops put out a reminder message to the call center floor. As for the news release, you have to put the timeline in perspective. In February 2010, just a short two years ago, it had only been literally a few months since Page Plus launched its first-ever monthly plan ($39.95 - hey, full circle!). Up until then all that existed was today's Standard pay-go plan. Everyone was still getting used to the fact that we need to speak and think differently about monthly vs. Standard plans. I'm not trying to excuse it, just trying to put it in perspective.

Feedback Score
    But I have not heard anyone say "I roamed last week and I got charged xx." I think this really speaks to the coverage of the network, which all of you know, and that roaming is basically a non-issue.
    Well, it's only a non-issue if you never encounter it.

I routinely transit that central WI blackhole known as Element Mobile <blah>. But, it's well known that P+ must now roam in this ex-Alltel/VZW region and I simply don't try to make a call.

Of course, I certainly understand P+ has no control over the situation <shrug>

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_rm View Post
    Of course, I certainly understand P+ has no control over the situation <shrug>
    You're correct that PPC has no control over the coverage, but PPC DOES have control over the accuracy of the information posted on their website and of the accuracy of the information provided by their CS reps.

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    You're correct that PPC has no control over the coverage, but PPC DOES have control over the accuracy of the information posted on their website and of the accuracy of the information provided by their CS reps.
    The website is correct and a reminder has gone to the call center floor so that all CSRs have the correct information. Thanks to all who pointed this out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast