Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG Spectrum Release Thread

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score

LG Spectrum Release Thread

=>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Verizon and LG announce the SPECTRUM

Here's the LG SPECTRUM, a LTE phone with a 4.5" True HD IPS display. I've used the same display in the LG Optimus LTE and it's amazing. It's available Jan 19th for $199.99 on a 2yr.
    • dual core 1.5GHz
    • 4.5" 1280x720 True HD IPS display
    • LTE
    • Android 2.3 (4.0 upgradable)
    • 8MP camera
    • 16GB microSDHC
    • HDMI via MHL

Key features:• 4.5-inch True HD IPS display provides natural colors and brilliant, undistorted HD images in 16:9 aspect ratio. Pictures and texts are incredibly sharp with 329 pixels per inch (PPI) screen density.
    • Protected by Corning® Gorilla® Glass, the True HD IPS display uses Real Stripe subpixel arrangement so images never get blurred.
    • Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread (Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade available the first half of 2012); support for Google™ Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™, Google Maps™ and access to more than 300,000 apps available to download from Android Market™.
    • Preloaded Netflix app allows Netflix subscribers to stream the latest movies in high-definition quality.
    • Qualcomm 1.5 GHz dual-core processor makes multitasking seamless. Customers can surf the Web, check email and update social networks effortlessly.
    • ESPN’s ScoreCenter app offers the most comprehensive sports coverage available on an Android device whether you follow the NFL or Premier League, ICC Champions League or MLB™, NASCAR or Formula One™. Customers can follow teams from more than 500 leagues around the world with an exclusive 720p high-definition feed for Spectrum by LG while connected to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network or Wi-Fi.
    • Spectrum supports Dolby® Digital Plus, which allows users to maximize their HD multimedia experience. Dolby Digital Plus can stream up to 7.1 channels of surround sound through home entertainment systems.

Additional features:
    • 8-megapixel rear-facing autofocus camera with LED flash to snap beautiful pictures and 1080p video capture
    • Front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video chat
    • SmartMovie HD app—create and edit HD videos right on the Spectrum by LG
    • Mobile Hotspot capability—share 4G LTE connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
    • Bluetooth® Version 3.0
    • 16 GB microSD™ card pre-installed with support for up to 32 GB microSD card
    • SmartShare—share media wirelessly to DLNA®-enabled devices
    • HDMI mirroring capable via MHL

Pricing and availability:
    • Spectrum by LG will be available on Jan. 19 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
    • Customers who purchase a Spectrum by LG will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Is it me or are lte phones coming out like clockwork on both att and vz? It's a good thing either way.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    I didn't even notice this one until just now. Not much discussion going on in here...
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    To my surprise, this phone does seem well received by the buyers on Verizon; I hope LG is gaining some experience.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Samsung Alias II
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How's the voice call performance, and 4G performance? Does it drop more often to 3G or does it stay "solid" on 4G, in general?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    VX10000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    from my experience, 4g is great, only had it drop to 3g once, call reception is good on both ends.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Talk about a dead thread!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Indeed this is a depressing thread, which is disappointing because the Spectrum is actually a very solid phone in my opinion. Having spent a few weeks with the device, I think I'm ready to declare myself 'very happy' with the Spectrum. Please read on for my impressions...

Design
    Let's not hide from the fact that this is a large phone; it is much larger than the phone I was replacing. It took some time to get used to, but now it feels natural in my hand. I have big hands, so the larger size is not that big of a deal to me.

The back cover is a fingerprint and grease magnet, and it makes handling the device a little unpleasant. I purchased the silicone cover from VZW and it has helped out quite a bit. Also, for the first week I was seeing a lot of that grease on the screen as well; it turns out the problem was that there was an additional screen protector on the device. If you see the LG logo between the Home button and the bottom of the screen, then you still have that protector installed. I removed the protector and the screen grease issue went away...let the Gorilla Glass do its job!

Display
    Amazing. Beautiful. Colors are slightly on the warm side, but that's how I prefer it. The IPS RGB display just really shines. I'm not one to crank up the screen brightness (I just use the auto setting) and I'm very happy with the display.

Buttons/Controls/Connections
    I like having three cap-touch buttons, as I would rarely use a dedicated search button. For those inclined, you can hold down the menu key for less than one second to access the search screen. The volume rockers on the left side are at the perfect location for how I hold the phone during a call. The top edge is a bit cluttered with the 3.5mm jack, micro-USB jack and power/lock button. Yes, the cover for the mini-USB jack seems fragile, but I'm careful with my investment; I've seen several reviews endlessly harp on this cover...yawn. The power/lock button is fine, if not a tad small.

I purchased the MHL to HDMI adapter and have used it to mirror my displays on my TV. HDMI output works as expected, although I've noticed a few times where the link cuts out or the audio becomes muffled. I fixed this by unplugging the adapter and then re-plugging it back in. I won't use the mirror for gaming at all, just for watching videos or viewing pictures.

UI
    I just don't see why so many reviewers hate the LG skin so much. I tried a couple of the popular launchers from the Market, and while they were very nice, I didn't see any significant benefit over the stock launcher. I see very little if any lag while navigating, and it certainly is not a deterrent for me. Based on some reviews I've read, you would think people were experiencing huge lag on the order of hundreds of milliseconds. Nope, not me, not at that severity.

The App drawer is fine, I switched to using the list view where you can scroll vertically much like you do through your contact list. The App list also has A through Z down the right side of the screen so you can immediately go to a specific letter of the alphabet, again just like your contacts. I think it's a great approach, I don't need to have horizontal scrolling like some others.

Continued on next post...

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Phone Calls
    It is a phone after all, and I use this as my primary phone line as we have no land line. I've had no issue with call quality on both my side or the caller's side. Volume, even when turned up, is a lower than I am used to on my older phones, so we'll see if that becomes an issue. Is there an App that can help out?

I have not had any dropped calls, and think this is a very serviceable phone. Going back to the size, it took some time to get used to holding it up to my ear. Imagine holding a basic calculator to your ear...hello? I've only used Bluetooth in my car, and the call quality is great! Much better than my previous phone on both sides.

LTE
    The Spectrum has been rock-solid at holding on to an LTE signal. I've only seen it drop to 3G a few times, and both instances were deep inside a building while in my pocket. Speed has been great, often better than my home Wi-Fi. Web browsing is fast, downloads are quick.

Camera/Video
    I haven't used much of either the still camera or video capture. The few pictures I have taken looked satisfactory. I would still take my point-and-shoot camera along on vacation. Photos are captured rather quickly and the auto-focus does a good job. Again, I'm not a huge phone camera user.

Battery
    Eh, meh. It's not great, but I guess I was expecting that. With moderate usage I can make it through a 14-15 hour day with the battery starving at about 5% when I plug it in before going to bed. Most of the day the phone is connected to Wi-Fi, but I have yet to try to see if my battery life improves if I turn off the 4G radio. One comment is that the battery life has improved after a few weeks of use. Or maybe I have gotten better at managing the running applications.

Conclusion
    I was literally 20 seconds away from purchasing the Rezound when I had a change of heart and decided to give the Spectrum a try. I am pleased with my decision and look forward to a root so I can get rid of the VZW bloatware, which steals quite a bit of the internal memory. A lot has been said about LG and how they are typically very bad at software updates, especially in the U.S. We'll see if/when the update to ICS happens. Regardless, I'm fine with Android 2.3.5 for now but look forward to an upgrade.

Device(s)
    Samsung Alias II
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I live in a non-LTE area. When I turned off LTE battery life improved drastically.

I DO miss having an FM radio integrated in the phone. My wife's Droid Razr Maxx likewise doesn't have an integrated FM radio.

My only other complaint is not being able to use an arbitrary keyboard input method. I'd already paid for SwiftKey for my previous phone and would like to use it with the Spectrum.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Arent paid apps saved to your Google acct? Or does changing phones disqualify you? Try downloading and see what happens.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Samsung Alias II
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Arent paid apps saved to your Google acct? Or does changing phones disqualify you? Try downloading and see what happens.
    I did immediately after getting the phone. When I long pressed the input area the only choices I get were Swype and LG Keyboard. Swiftkey being downloaded didn't make a difference.
    (LG Keyboard is multilingual but not the language I want.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast