Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best call quality/reception phone for wife?

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Best call quality/reception phone for wife?

Hello, all.

My wife is finally ready to dump her ancient Sammy flip-phone and move to a smartphone on Sprint. Because she makes a lot of calls for her business, call quality and great RF are her primary criteria in choosing a new phone. (Web browsing and email will also come in handy for her, but call quality is Job One for her new phone. She is not at all techy.) I've come to get the community consensus on 2-3 choices for her to look at. (I have the EVO 4G, which is great, but now discontinued--otherwise I'd just get that one for her.)

No flip-phones or Blackberries--so I'm guessing an Android slab phone. She'd be okay with an iPhone too, but I don't think I've ever heard a positive review on their call quality.

Phones that have some overriding gimmick--like the EVO 3D's 3D cameras--are not anything she would care about, unless the phone itself is a strong contender.

So for slab phones--either Android or iPhone--what would be her top 2-3 choices for call quality and strong RF?

Thanks!

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Photon. If you want Reception and call quality, Motorola is King.

The photon is a great deal, and a great phone.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Gorilla.

I've heard the Photon is nice. I've not handled it extensively, so my initial concern with it is the questionable installation of the USB/charge port on the left side. Especially given that, when using the kickstand, it would be difficult or impossible to plug in the charger.

In real-world practice, however, how big a bother is the placement of the port, actually?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Thanks, Gorilla.

I've heard the Photon is nice. I've not handled it extensively, so my initial concern with it is the questionable installation of the USB/charge port on the left side. Especially given that, when using the kickstand, it would be difficult or impossible to plug in the charger.

In real-world practice, however, how big a bother is the placement of the port, actually?
    Unless you want to use the kickstand and charge at the same time... not a big deal.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    it's not that bad especially considering the phone actually has decent battery life anyway, plus you could always get a multimedia dock that will charge it (and it adds USB/HDMI ports as well if you are interested in the webtop)
    Left: T-Mobile Unlimited LTE, Right: CenturyLink DSL at Home

Phone
    Galaxy S4, LG F3, ZTE Sonata
    Carrier
    AT&T , GoPhone, AIO,
    Feedback Score
    Get the Photon, reception is great.
    Display is crisp, phone is fast, not too bulky, tons of available storage.

Absolutely get the dock (on eBay) if the kickstand is an issue.

Sent from my Motorola Photon

Feedback Score
    iPhone 4s.

Dual mic noise cancelation and an excellent antenna with great reception in fringe areas.

Feedback Score
    I second the iPhone 4S. Dual antennas allows me to hold calls where I've dropped before as well as hold onto data better. And its dead simple to use for ANY new smartphone user.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So it's sounding like the face-off is between the Photon and the iPhone 4S?

Can I assume that the reportedly poor call quality and RF of previous iPhones has been remedied in the 4S?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    So it's sounding like the face-off is between the Photon and the iPhone 4S?

Can I assume that the reportedly poor call quality and RF of previous iPhones has been remedied in the 4S?
    yes, iPhone 4s fixes the antenna issues that the 4 had.

I think she would probably enjoy using the iPhone 4s more.

Feedback Score
    I do not grant that the iPhone 4 had those issues, but I can assure you the iPhone 4s does not have them. As a former photon owner the 4s is leaps and bounds better for reception, battery life and sound quality.

Check out anandtech's comprehensive reviews of both models for real info around reception and call quality.

Carriers
    Sprint
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The 4s has outstanding reception. Tons better than my old android. Audio quality is great too. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
    [SIZE][font=Geneva,Verdana]renew orleans

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have had the evo 3d, photon and epic touch. The photon had far superior reception, and even got a bar or two in otherwise dead spots.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
    I do not grant that the iPhone 4 had those issues, but I can assure you the iPhone 4s does not have them. As a former photon owner the 4s is leaps and bounds better for reception, battery life and sound quality.

Check out anandtech's comprehensive reviews of both models for real info around reception and call quality.
    The 4s does not have better reception than the photon.This is sounding likea my Iphone is better than yours post.Leaving the antenna exposed on the external casing is a bad idea and will be changed on the next generation phone.The phone looks dated with its little 3.5 inch display now obsolete by todays larger screens.It has a smallish internal battery coupled with a faster chip yields so so battery life.Apple has tried to fix this issue with little success.This is a known issue.The photon is cheaper and a great device.Much better value.

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The little i-sheep have to make themselves feel better by saying their product is better, regardless of truth.

I told the op the truth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast