Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [SH7218U] How to/Q&A-Custom ROM-modifications-etc.

Feedback Score
    Where can I get Gapps for this phone?
    Ive rooted it and now want to install marketplace etc.

Edit:- I have found 3.5.15
    Last edited by GrecoB; 08-29-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: edit

Feedback Score
    How do you get Google Play to work?
    I have set the permissions and it is showing, but when I try to load the app it says 'you must add an account to the device to continue'
    When I click add one now it just closes the app.
    So I go to Accounts & Sync & select 'add account' and it wont allow me to add an account.
    Last edited by GrecoB; 08-29-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by martindesu View Post
    There is a way to hack the software to do it, and i know that tokyo_dom is working on such a mod, but it could take years. You could learn to program and do it yourself
    I can program. It depends what language its in and where can I get the source files?

Feedback Score
    For anyone who wanted to know, I have found the way to change order of symbols in multi tap mode for Sogou input. So you dont have to press 1 three times to get a full stop!

Open Root Explorer
    data>> data>>> com.sohu.inputmethod.sogou>> files>> .theme>> sogou>> layout>> template.ini> open in text editor.

Find the line

------multitap keys-----
    [Key_Punct_Multi]
    [email protected]!./
    MINOR_LABEL=1
    CODES=0x40, 0x21, 0x2e, 0x2c, 0x2f, 0x31

and change it to

------multitap keys-----
    [Key_Punct_Multi]
    [email protected]!./
    MINOR_LABEL=1
    CODES=0x2e, 0x21, 0x40, 0x2c, 0x2f, 0x31

This will alter the order of the symbols for key 1 when using the touch screen.

Menu>> save & exit>>
    Restart phone.

I havent yet worked out how to do this for the soft keyboard. If anyone knows how to do it please share as I use the soft keys more than the touch screen.

Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's fantastic!

Have you also managed to do it for the 0 key? i.e. one press should be space, and two should be 0... that would be very nice!

Feedback Score
    That's fantastic!

Have you also managed to do it for the 0 key? i.e. one press should be space, and two should be 0... that would be very nice!

Hi, with Sogou input to get space is one press of 0.
    Possibly you are using iWnnIME input? That is three press of 0 to get space.
    I would recommend change to Sogou and make the code change I did

Device(s)
    sh7228u
    Carrier(s)
    vodafone au
    Feedback Score
    Hey ahhdillon,

I think this has gone:
    sh7218u_edited_system_apps_and_media_files.rar

i've been trying to download it, but it's telling me it's gone. Is there somewhere else I can download it from?

Feedback Score
    Managed to remove the "task killer" portion of the 007 status bar provided by ahhdillon, so you won't accidentally crash and reboot your phone when you tap on it. Definitely prefer this over the stock status bar, more "Japanese" looking icons. lol

Will need to test it for abit before I upload the apk up here though. Learnt a surprising amount on Android and the SH7218U these few days.

Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds good! Don't forget to include some juicy screenshots

Feedback Score
    Oh crap I haven't been here for a while. Will get it up as promised, later tonight. For those who are imaginative, just imagine the "task killer" section being totally removed. =P

Now using my SH7218U as my day to day phone - It's not a bad phone really, just that the text input isn't as good as how I wish it would be. No biggy though, just need to avoid texting when I am on the road (was able to send text messages without looking at the phone at all with my old Nokia), need to rely looking on the screen more, but not as much as a full fledged touchscreen phone.

A few more things people might be interested to know. I have tested out two different 32GB microSDHC, one CL4 Kingston, the other a CL10 Sandisk, both which had issues with the SH7218U on Link2SD/saving to memory card. Upon rebooting the phone, all linked apps will be missing for some reason. Currently running on a 16GB microSDHC, CL10 Samsung, and it works all fine and dandy now.

The CL10 comes in handy when you take and browse pictures, really noticeable speed improvements. Even for the overall phone responsiveness - But that might be just me as I use Link2SD a lot.

Feedback Score
    By the way, sorry for my failing memory, martindesu, but are you the one who requested on XDA for developers to assist in developing a T9 based application that would work well with the SH7218U/SH-01B/007?

If that's you... While I am a developer myself, I mostly do Win-based applications on legacy VB6 and VB.NET... Really hope to help you out, but Java isn't my core strength at the moment. Maybe I could come out with something some time in the future as I expose myself more to Android programming...

ADD: Wait.. That's tokyo_dom. T-T Told ya my memory's failing.
    Last edited by tre54321; 01-05-2013 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Mistaken identity.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    tre54321: Your work and advice is very appreciated !

Feedback Score
    Someone needs to make sure I check back onto the forums frequently. Jeeeez me.

Alright, some updates. Uploading a copy of my own flash-able ROM at the moment to Mediafire, which is basically the ROM stripped off all unnecessary apps, rooted with SuperUser, but with Play Store and the 007SH status bar included (where the task killer section on the notification bar is removed). Will upload the dianxinos.apk file separately as well, though I wouldn't be able to provide installation instructions as I couldn't remember how I should be doing a manual replacement. Something to do with Root Explorer of some sort.... I'm getting old. Ack.

Links here:
    SH7218U_MOD_007 Status Bars.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/?401ls7hpt5k7pbl

(007 Status Bar) dianxinos.apk
    http://www.mediafire.com/?t9mgnp9l7rnvcwe

PS: Sorry... No screenshots as of yet. Speaking of which, I haven't figured out how to create screenshots on my SH7218U.

Also, I have recently bought three third party batteries off Taobao which I will condition and provide feedback upon throughout the next few weeks or so. Andida, rated at 1600mah. Kawenda, rated at 1450mah. Belief, rated at 1800mah. Pretty skeptical of their advertised ratings, but let's leave it as it is.

ADD: They have pretty cheesy packaging, involving cute girls or really exaggerated claims. Interesting packaging, for a battery, nevertheless.

Oh and... NillKin produces some pretty damn good screen protectors, considering they are SO cheap. Far better than the one Zagg sells, which made my phone's screen irresponsive, and the finish isn't smooth at all.
    Last edited by tre54321; 01-18-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added links! Off to sleep now.... It's 1:42AM :)

Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tre54321 View Post
    By the way, sorry for my failing memory, martindesu, but are you the one who requested on XDA for developers to assist in developing a T9 based application that would work well with the SH7218U/SH-01B/007?

ADD: Wait.. That's tokyo_dom. T-T Told ya my memory's failing.
    Yeah, that was Dom, but T9 for the SH7218u is a must

And I have a "bestery" which seems pretty good, too.

I will try out your ROM and provide feedback!

Thanks so much for all your hard work.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, that was Dom, but T9 for the SH7218u is a must

And I have a "bestery" which seems pretty good, too.

I will try out your ROM and provide feedback!

Thanks so much for all your hard work.
    I do have a T9 algorithm in mind... But I haven't tried developing using Android's SDK yet. I've learnt Java (at least the basic bits of em which I still can remember), but currently I mostly do development on Microsoft *gasps* platforms.

With time, maybe, I'll come out with something. With time... Oh and after I get myself another SH7218U which I'll dedicate to development purposes. Might get a SH1810C first though... I think XT9 (used by Sogou/Baidu input) isn't that bad at all.. Admittedly much less predictable than T9 commonly found on Nokia phones.

The ROM is just a stock ROM but with some minor changes... So I am shy to claim ownership over it. Haha.
    Once I have a separate SH7218U maybe then I can think of more changes to be done - But so far everything seems good. Lightweight, loads up fast, not buggy. Life is good.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast