Thread: Porting my Metro PCS number to another carrier ... is it possible?

Feedback Score

Los Angeles Porting my Metro PCS number to another carrier ... is it possible?

After innumerable dropped calls, terrible customer service, miscellaneous outages, important voice mails and texts messages inexplicably lost, I've finally lost my patience, and I'm jumping ship. Does anybody know/has experience about porting a Metro PCS number to a different carrier (Virgin Mobile, for instance)?

Any info or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Feedback Score

Yes you can port your number

I was a Verizon customer and I ported my number by taking my phone to the MetroPCS corporate store with my Verizon account# and passcode and was ported over in minutes.

So you can theoretically do the same by taking your number over to the new carrier by giving them your MetroPCS account information and password.

Please note that this will cancel the MetroPCS plan and you will need to pay whatever balance you have.

See if the new store can transfer your contacts to the new phone or if you decide to keep your phone to make sure they flash it to their service so you can use their internet,texting etc.

Phone
    LG, ZTE
    Carrier
    Verizon, TracFone/Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (LGE-MN180/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I do not know how a port would work online, but you would need proof that the number is yours, if you did the port in person.

You should login to your account, print out a copy of the latest metroPCS bill and bring it with you in person.
    Last edited by EdwardP; 01-16-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Phone
    LG Esteem
    Carrier
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    all your gonna need is your pass code which is your birth date for example if i was born in in november 22 1980 then my pass code is 11221980 and virgin mobile will ask you for the number your on right now with metro once u provide them with your name pass code and which provider your with they will contact metro give them the infomation and metro will release that number to virgin mobile. the process takes a while to do ive ported a number from virgin mobile to metro but prob was my friend forgot his security pass on virgin mobile so it took a while to figure out but once we got it thje very next day his number from virgin mobile was owrking on his new metro phone. im not saying the process will take 24 hours but just expect to wait a while for it to go through.

Feedback Score
    I did this exact port, once.

Call MetroPCS and ask for your ACCOUNT number. (They'll ask why, feel free to tell the truth or lie, its not their business.) You'll give that number, your current phone number and account PIN to Virgin over the phone, and unless something gets typed incorrectly, it'll go through.

Don't expect to have reliable data on Virgin, though... I only stayed with them for a few months.

Sent from my HTC Panache using HowardForums

Carriers
    Metro
    Att - No longer but family have
    Feedback Score

I ported from MetroPCS to Cricket

I did the port because the 3G service was too slow.

The porting procedure that Cricket had online did not happen. It also did not warn me that it failed. I called in to Cricket, with info like my account number, and password. And it took less then three hours.

Both phone must be active during the time one ports the phone.

Metro robocalled me to ask why I switched out from them, but the voice robot didn't have an option to say it was because the 3G speed is totally crap.

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by papiroflexia View Post
    After innumerable dropped calls, terrible customer service, miscellaneous outages, important voice mails and texts messages inexplicably lost, I've finally lost my patience, and I'm jumping ship. Does anybody know/has experience about porting a Metro PCS number to a different carrier (Virgin Mobile, for instance)?

Same problems as you I went to StraightTalk in att's network ported in about 20 min from metroPCS

Sent from my MB860 using HowardForums

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by papiroflexia View Post

They will call you after you port asking why you left. I didn't ever get to pick up in time but if you do tell them it was because of losing texts and voicemail and these things.. I can tell you they won't fix the network outages or customer service but they might investigate lost text messages and voicemail and implementation some double check mechanism to make sure you've actually got it.

If you pay 3months at a time straight Talk is only 42$ a month not bad at all...

Carriers
    Metro
    Att - No longer but family have
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerballtux View Post
    They will call you after you port asking why you left. I didn't ever get to pick up in time but if you do tell them it was because of losing texts and voicemail and these things.. I can tell you they won't fix the network outages or customer service but they might investigate lost text messages and voicemail and implementation some double check mechanism to make sure you've actually got it.

If you pay 3months at a time straight Talk is only 42$ a month not bad at all...

They called me but it was with a robot.

And their survey was lame, it didn't even let me say that the reason I left was not among their menu choices.

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Class View Post
    They called me but it was with a robot.

And their survey was lame, it didn't even let me say that the reason I left was not among their menu choices.
    sounds like the marketing department is doing their job then.

Phone
    LG Esteem
    Carrier
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerballtux View Post
    sounds like the marketing department is doing their job then.
    Lmao so true!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    So I went through the online activation number transfer on straight talk but I had the pin wrong 6 digits instead of 8 Corrected it confirming with metropcs. But they still claim its incorrect. Just did a live hat with straight talk, they need me to call them...

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Need metropcs account number and pin (8 digit password) give it to Virginmobile and transfer number.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoDough View Post
    You have been trying for 5 years to work for AT&T? Are you retarded?

Feedback Score
    Tried the online t-mobile transfer and it was rejected. The number clearly belonged to a few people before I got it though. I will try in store switching as I already have my metro account number