Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GPS navigation app without using data

Feedback Score

GPS navigation app without using data

Since wind doesnt have coverage in lots of the places, i am wondering if anyone know of any app that make use of my GPS on my BB 9860 without any use of data (i need this because i might travel out of my carrier's tower zones). i dont mind if the price of the app is up to like $10s. so basically i am looking for an app that stores some maps on your phone. thanks

also does the GPS transmittor on the BB use any data?

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_wang8844 View Post
    Since wind doesnt have coverage in lots of the places, i am wondering if anyone know of any app that make use of my GPS on my BB 9860 without any use of data (i need this because i might travel out of my carrier's tower zones). i dont mind if the price of the app is up to like $10s. so basically i am looking for an app that stores some maps on your phone. thanks

also does the GPS transmittor on the BB use any data?
    GPS does not use data. AGPS uses data, if available, to get a faster lock.

I remember when smartphone apps like TomTom were in the hundreds. Then $100. Now $50 I think?

But don't count on TomTom quality for $10.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what's available for BB.

For Android, I know Google Maps Navigation will eventually support a fully offline mode - it's just a matter of when. It already has a local routing engine that can make course corrections.
    Coverage Mapper - A crowd sourced cellular signal strength mapping application
    Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CoverageMapper.
    http://www.coveragemapper.com

The opinions stated here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

Feedback Score
    any idea if BB have AGPS or GPS?

Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    agps i think for bb

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    any idea if BB have AGPS or GPS?
    Let me rephrase. Regardless of whether you have AGPS or not, you will be able to use the GPS when you have no internet connection.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just use the free Google Navigation app that comes with my Galaxy Nexus whenever I make the 5 hour trip from Gatineau to Brampton.

Before leaving the Ottawa Region, Google Navigation caches the route to my phone, and just before I start roaming, I remove the APN settings and I'm able to still continue using the app with the route data cached.

djino

Phone
    Galaxy S3, Note 2, Bold 9900, Q10
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
    Let me rephrase. Regardless of whether you have AGPS or not, you will be able to use the GPS when you have no internet connection.
    Provided you have the right application? I was never able to get the GPS working on my Nexus One or Blackberry when outside of the coverage area. I couldn't find a setting to prevent it from trying to use the data connection. I just assumed I was missing a map package or something.

Feedback Score
    Nokia Maps works without data, but won't work on any Blackberry device, unfortunately. You just need to download maps ahead of time and when using the program, have it in offline mode and with the agps server disabled.

GPS itself never uses data. Asissted GPS does use data and the applications do use data to download maps on the fly.

Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The "HTC Locations" thing also works without data, but you have to download your region's map and have it installed. The downloading part is a much bigger pain than it should be--takes a very long time. Once it's installed, though, it does work. Not as pretty as Google maps, but it's on-device.

Feedback Score
    i need it for Blackberry though, not other brands

Feedback Score
    i need it for Blackberry though, not other brands
    There are applications that you can use for navigation but the offline part is where you're going to run into problems. Mgmaps can be used to view offline maps but doesn't offer navigation. Amaze provides navigation but can't be strictly used in offline mode. Your best option may be to use another device alongside your Blackberry, whether it's a standalone GPS unit or a phone with built-in offline maps and navigation.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafmented View Post
    Provided you have the right application? I was never able to get the GPS working on my Nexus One or Blackberry when outside of the coverage area. I couldn't find a setting to prevent it from trying to use the data connection. I just assumed I was missing a map package or something.
    GPS has nothing to do with maps, and it absolutely works on the Nexus One with no data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
    GPS has nothing to do with maps, and it absolutely works on the Nexus One with no data.
    Can someone please post instructions on how to make any of the Android's GPS to work without using data?

This topic has been posted many times and all I see is some people say it does not use data and others say to go an buy another gps device.

For those that say it does not need data, I would like to use my Android phone without any SIM card and be able to use the GPS operation and do searches similar to how it would on a standaolone GPS system.

I am aware there might be some paid app for this, so first,

1) How to do this as simple as possible (I am sure many out there could afford $5-$10 for a paid app

2) How to do this for free (Can we find a way to download the maps and save it and be able to use all of these without having a sim card in the phone?

canadiancow, are you saying that with the Nexus one, you can use this without a sim card and be able to search for a location and it will work?
    I know for sure the Nokia phones can do this but never seen any Android device yet that can do this?

Feedback Score
    For Android use Navigon, Sygic, copilot, igo. They do not require data. After installing the app you download the maps on your sd card.

Feedback Score
    i do not need navigation, i just need to see a map and the GPS to show me where i am. I need this for blackberry not other OSs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast