Thread: Some simple questions for a newbie to T-Mobile and smartphones. Thank you!

Feedback Score

Question Some simple questions for a newbie to T-Mobile and smartphones. Thank you!

Hi all!

My wife and I are currently AT&T customers with just a regular voice & 200 text plan.

We are thinking about moving to T-Mobile's Value Plan, and I had a few questions I was hoping you gurus could answer for me. Thank you!

The Company and Plan
    • With the attempted buy-out from AT&T that fell through, what is the future for T-Mobile? Is it risky to move to them?
    • Is there any good way to "try out" the coverage in my area. (Southeastern Michigan). I have heard it is decent, but don't have much firsthand feedback. Not sure if they offer a trial?
    • I've heard mixed things--if I sign up for a Value Plan, can I switch to a classic plan AFTER the contract ends 2 years later?

The Phone
    • If I'm going, I want to go for gold. I'm eyeing the Samsung Galaxy S II. Sharp looking device!
    • I understand that, with the Value Plan, there is no discount on the phone, so installments are paid each month. I was told I can pay it off early. If I pay it off early, could I sell it, and finance another phone any time, even prior to contract end?
    • I heard the battery is decent and will last 7 hours even with heavy usage. Is this true? Can I buy a generic mini-USB cable to keep it charged at the office during the day?
    • Is the T-Mobile "phone insurance" worth it?
    • What's the general consensus on cases and screen protectors?

The Wife
    • My line is presently off-contract, but my wife's isn't up until June. If I transfer to an Individual Value Plan now, can I add her later without issue and change to a Family Value Plan?
    • Lastly, I'd like to get my wife a decent phone too, but not break the bank as she isn't as into the whole thing. I had her check them out in the store but she was overwhelmed and didn't know what to look for. What do you guys suggest?

Thank you all so much for your expertise! I really appreciate it!

Carrier
    •T•••Mobile•
    Feedback Score
    It's not risky at all, they have a 15 day trial period in case you end up dissatisfied for whatever reason. You also might discover that you'll have faster speeds and better signal quality (different than strength) than you did with AT&T. I'll also recommend you check out either the HTC Radar 4G or Nokia lumia 710, these are the top 2 phones on T-mobile right now. You should be able to buy a micro USB cable and use that, it's not strict on which charger you can use like apple is.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzter View Post
    Hi all!

My wife and I are currently AT&T customers with just a regular voice & 200 text plan.

We are thinking about moving to T-Mobile's Value Plan, and I had a few questions I was hoping you gurus could answer for me. Thank you!

The Company and Plan
    • With the attempted buy-out from AT&T that fell through, what is the future for T-Mobile? Is it risky to move to them?
    • Is there any good way to "try out" the coverage in my area. (Southeastern Michigan). I have heard it is decent, but don't have much firsthand feedback. Not sure if they offer a trial?
    • I've heard mixed things--if I sign up for a Value Plan, can I switch to a classic plan AFTER the contract ends 2 years later?

The Phone
    • If I'm going, I want to go for gold. I'm eyeing the Samsung Galaxy S II. Sharp looking device!
    • I understand that, with the Value Plan, there is no discount on the phone, so installments are paid each month. I was told I can pay it off early. If I pay it off early, could I sell it, and finance another phone any time, even prior to contract end?
    • I heard the battery is decent and will last 7 hours even with heavy usage. Is this true? Can I buy a generic mini-USB cable to keep it charged at the office during the day?
    • Is the T-Mobile "phone insurance" worth it?
    • What's the general consensus on cases and screen protectors?

The Wife
    • My line is presently off-contract, but my wife's isn't up until June. If I transfer to an Individual Value Plan now, can I add her later without issue and change to a Family Value Plan?
    • Lastly, I'd like to get my wife a decent phone too, but not break the bank as she isn't as into the whole thing. I had her check them out in the store but she was overwhelmed and didn't know what to look for. What do you guys suggest?

Thank you all so much for your expertise! I really appreciate it!
    After the acquisition failure, T-Mobile is likely to make a turnaround and stay for the time being.
    There is a fourteen days trial (thirty days in CA), or you can get prepaid and take a look first.
    SGS II Hercules runs on microUSB cable.
    After you paid off the installments, the phone is totally yours (you don't owe anymore) so you can sell it for sure.
    If you buy insurance, make sure the screen is covered as it is prone to be broken, and if you want to buy a case, I recommend to buy a soft one (my phones were saved from falling by using the soft case).

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    Thanks for answers some of the questions... to respond to some of the comments made...

• Does anyone know where I can get a quality micro USB cable for a good price?
    • You mentioned the "SGS II -Hercules-". I haven't heard Hercules before--does that just mean the "T-Mobile Edition"?
    • I was told there is a pretty hefty restocking fee if you cancel during the 14-day trial--can someone confirm? How difficult would it be to port out of the trial if I don't like it back to another carrier? Not likely to happen, but I just want to be safe.
    • So I pay off the installments, and can sell the phone--will they let me get a new one with their "EIP" before the contract ends?
    • I noticed you talked about 'if' I buy insurance, and 'if' I buy a case. I'm curious as to what the opinions are on whether or not I should, really. What determines the 'if'?

Still looking for advice on some of the other stuff too. Thanks everyone!

Feedback Score
    You can not switch to Classic plan from the Value Plan.

As for the wife's phone, you should provide more information on how she uses it and what features she finds important. Then better advice could be given on suggestions for her phone.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzter View Post
    Thanks for answers some of the questions... to respond to some of the comments made...

• You mentioned the "SGS II -Hercules-". I haven't heard Hercules before--does that just mean the "T-Mobile Edition"?
    • I was told there is a pretty hefty restocking fee if you cancel during the 14-day trial--can someone confirm? How difficult would it be to port out of the trial if I don't like it back to another carrier? Not likely to happen, but I just want to be safe.
    • So I pay off the installments, and can sell the phone--will they let me get a new one with their "EIP" before the contract ends?
    • I noticed you talked about 'if' I buy insurance, and 'if' I buy a case. I'm curious as to what the opinions are on whether or not I should, really. What determines the 'if'?

Stanard microUSB cable is fine even the one purchased from T-Mobile store.
    "Hercules" is the T-Mobile/Telus variation of SGS 2 with bigger screen and different processor.
    The screen of the phone is pretty likely prone to be broken, so make sure the phone screen is covered if you opt in insurance.

Phone
    iPhone 5s 64GB (Silver)
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Quote Originally Posted by fizzter

Just about the Micro-USB cable.. I buy most of my stuff from monoprice.com and they sell fantastic stuff. The last time I ordered micro-usb cables from them it consisted of two 12 foot cables, a 6 foot, one foot and a 6" cable and I think it was ~$16 + some cents shipped. The cables are very high quality, gold plated, and I've never once had anything I've purchased from them fail. The one time I had to use their customer service was great, too. They had shipped me an incorrect item. The rep (who stayed with the issue until it was resolved) had me e-mail a picture of the item to him and told me to keep the incorrect item and promptly sent out the correct one.

Well then.