Thread: At&t Fusion go phone wifi connection?

Feedback Score

Question At&t Fusion go phone wifi connection?

Looking at purchasing a Fusion android at Wal mart, which has wifi connection ability.
    My question: without data package, when I connect to the internet via wifi, will I be charged the 10 cent per minute rate?
    Also since this is my first smartphone, can I purchase apps on my home computer then transfer them to the phone.
    Thanks

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Use of Wi-Fi has nothing to do with cellular data or voice. If you have a smartphone on AT&T Mobility's GoPhone service, cellular data access is blocked without a data plan. Data use never uses minutes but kilobytes. It uses dollars which cannot be used for anything else after you use them for data. With nonsmartphones, pay-per-use data is charged at $0.01 per five kilobytes if you have no data plan. Even then you are using dollars for data use and not minutes, which makes fewer dollars available for voice calls. Only the plans with a fixed number of minutes or unlimited minutes set aside funds for voice calls. You have to purchase other features separately if not included in your plan either through pay-per-use or with feature packages.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jayarr247 View Post
    Looking at purchasing a Fusion android at Wal mart, which has wifi connection ability.
    My question: without data package, when I connect to the internet via wifi, will I be charged the 10 cent per minute rate?
    Also since this is my first smartphone, can I purchase apps on my home computer then transfer them to the phone.
    Thanks
    You won't be charged data when using Wi-Fi. If you do not specifically purchase a data plan, you won't even be charged for data when NOT using Wi-Fi, but then again you won't have data.

Yes, you can purchase applications from your home computer, using the web Android market. market.android.com
    But as long as you have Wi-Fi access, you can use the Market app on the phone itself.

Feedback Score
    Here's what I don't get...if you do not purchase a data plan, do you still get the 3G symbol??

Carrier
    Air Voice
    Feedback Score
    I can only speak for the phone that I have...the Avail. If I am using wifi, a 3G icon appears in the notificaton area at the top of the screen. If I'm using data, the same spot is occupied by a 3G symbol HALF the size of the wifi one with very small arrows on top of the icon indicating upload or download. In either case the 3G is there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by desertdude View Post
    I can only speak for the phone that I have...the Avail. If I am using wifi, a 3G icon appears in the notificaton area at the top of the screen. If I'm using data, the same spot is occupied by a 3G symbol HALF the size of the wifi one with very small arrows on top of the icon indicating upload or download. In either case the 3G is there.
    Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm confused about is, if I got an Avail Or Fusion, and never purchase a data plan, does lack of a data plan in any way affect call quality or signal strength?

Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Having no data does not affect calling in any way.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XjeepX View Post
    Here's what I don't get...if you do not purchase a data plan, do you still get the 3G symbol??
    With GSM carriers 3G is used for data as well as voice. GPRS and EDGE are used for data only.

Sent from my GtabComb using HowardForums

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    3G voice calls sound better and cause less interference to nearby equipment such as PC speakers. It is good to have the 3G indicator even when not using data. As Desertdude mentioned, the 3G icon is accompanied by bi-directional arrows when a data connection is being used. The arrows indicate download and upload. If 3G is used only for voice, you either get a larger 3G icon with no arrows, or the arrows are replaced with a letter V for voice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CeluGeek View Post
    3G voice calls sound better and cause less interference to nearby equipment such as PC speakers. It is good to have the 3G indicator even when not using data. As Desertdude mentioned, the 3G icon is accompanied by bi-directional arrows when a data connection is being used. The arrows indicate download and upload. If 3G is used only for voice, you either get a larger 3G icon with no arrows, or the arrows are replaced with a letter V for voice.
    Ok so you're saying I will still have 3G voice calls and the 3G indicator even though I don't intend on buying a data pckg?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XjeepX View Post
    Ok so you're saying I will still have 3G voice calls and the 3G indicator even though I don't intend on buying a data pckg?
    That's correct. Neither me nor my mom have a data plan and we still have the 3G icon.

This is what the 3G voice icon looks on an AT&T Avail. No data transfer arrows.

Name:  Pantalla Bloqueada.png
Views: 8318
Size:  95.6 KB

And here is what it looks like on my Sharp FX Plus. Note the blue V instead of the data transfer arrows.

Name:  Pantalla Bloqueada.png
Views: 7784
Size:  35.0 KB

Feedback Score
    Very very helpful CeluGeek, thanks to you and all who helped. I think I finally got it. lol.