Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

iPhone to iPhone messages free? or do they count as texts?

I know I can message ipod touch users..so are all my chats with the messenger app free to other iphone users?

Why are some of my conversations in blue some are in green?

I don't want to be charged for each text..especially since I am messaging people in the US--I'm in Canada.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If you see blue, iMessage is being used. If you see green, you are using either SMS or MMS.

Sent from my GtabComb using HowardForums
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    No, it is charged as data (which if you don't have a data plan, would be more expensive that pay per use texting, lol! But anyway, no, iMessage to other iphones, ipods and ipads are not charged as text messages but as just normal data. There are exceptions however, particularly to other iphones (it won't happen when texting to an ipod or ipad though) and that is sometimes a data connection cannot be made (like wifi is down, your cellular internet is sluggish or just went down, or the Apple Servers went down briefly, or even the other iPhone user hasn't upgraded to iOS 5 yet) in which case since an iMessage can't be sent (since it requires an internet connection) it will instead send it to the other iphone as a text message and THEN you will be charged.

The easy way to tell is when you are sending or chatting over iMessage, the text bubbles are blue. When you are sending a regular text message, the bubbles are green.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    There are exceptions however, particularly to other iphones (it won't happen when texting to an ipod or ipad though) and that is sometimes a data connection cannot be made (like wifi is down, your cellular internet is sluggish or just went down, or the Apple Servers went down briefly, or even the other iPhone user hasn't upgraded to iOS 5 yet) in which case since an iMessage can't be sent (since it requires an internet connection) it will instead send it to the other iphone as a text message and THEN you will be charged.
    You can avoid that scenario by adjusting your settings:

Settings > Messages > Send as SMS > OFF

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Carriers
    T-Mobile (current)
    Verizon, Sprint (1997-2007)
    Feedback Score
    No, it is charged as data (which if you don't have a data plan, would be more expensive that pay per use texting, lol!
    You can avoid THIS by turning cellular data off in Settings, and using WiFi to send iMessages.

Left: iPhone 5s on T-Mobile. Right: Comcast home internet connection.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    You can avoid that scenario by adjusting your settings:

Settings > Messages > Send as SMS > OFF
    Why would I want to avoid this? Unless you know all your friends and any potential new people you would text have iphones AND what ios they're on too, it's just easier to leave it on

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
    You can avoid THIS by turning cellular data off in Settings, and using WiFi to send iMessages.
    Okay, if you're in a wifi area, your iphone is automatically going to be sending iMessages through wifi by default anyway. It won't send it through cellular if it is connected to wifi, so why would you go to the extra steps of shutting off cellular when it won't be using cellular anyway unless you're NOT within range of wifi?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Why would I want to avoid this? Unless you know all your friends and any potential new people you would text have iphones AND what ios they're on too, it's just easier to leave it on
    For instance if you don't have a messaging plan or you're messaging with someone that's not covered under your messaging plan (international user), then some people might prefer the message not going through over being charged a per-message fee.

Carriers
    T-Mobile (current)
    Verizon, Sprint (1997-2007)
    Feedback Score
    Okay, if you're in a wifi area, your iphone is automatically going to be sending iMessages through wifi by default anyway. It won't send it through cellular if it is connected to wifi, so why would you go to the extra steps of shutting off cellular when it won't be using cellular anyway unless you're NOT within range of wifi?
    The bolded part above would be why.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    ???
    "Send as SMS" would have no effect on your use case here since with it off, it will send to any new people SMS unless they are using iMessage, in which it will send as iMessage. This setting ONLY affects sending to people using iMessage when not reachable via iMessage.
    Unlocked Pentaband iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked iPhone 4
    Unlimited airtime, Unlimited CAN/US long distance, Unlimited SMS to CAN/US wireless numbers
    2500 Call Forwarding minutes to CAN/US numbers
    CiD, 6GB
    Google Voice for visual voice mail with message transcription, conditional greetings, unlimited messages (vs 35 message cap), remote retrieval from any PC or phone, no auto-purge after 10 days and most importantly no $7-$8 charge.
    $53$65

Phones
    64 GB iPhone 4s
    64GB iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score

Answer to your question....

Simply put, if your message is recognized as an iMessage it will show up blue in messaging as you have stated. If it shows up green it's recognized as SMS. if it's a message to an international contact just don't send it, if they show up green. Also, you can reassure this by strictly using each others iMessage email address rather than your phone #'s. They will usually still get the message when iMessage conditions are met.

Phones
    V3XX GSM UMTS iPhone4S
    V9M CDMA EVDO
    Carrier
    AT&T and U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Don't know if this would be an AT&T or Apple store issue: When I try to sign in with my Apple ID to activate iMessage it tries for awhile then says "Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again".
    This just keeps happening no matter where I'm at (even using WiFi). Immediately after I can use my Apple ID and same password to buy an App and it's successful. Any ideas? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    If you have ios 5, and data plan, it should appear blue and its IMSG = no fees.

Hacktivated devices have issues with imsg and facetime, sometimes you have to register with email instead of the phone number.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    iMessage does incur costs, but are not typical text costs. What I mean is that when you use iMessage, it will come off your data rather then your text plan. The more you use iMessage, the more data it takes. So yes, you do not incur text costs, but if you use too many iMessages, you may go over your data if you do not have enough data for the month.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB (curr)
    iPhone 3G 8GB (prev)
    UTStarCom 6700 (prev)
    Feedback Score
    iMessage uses a very very small amount of data, unless you don't have a data plan it should be the cheapest method for sending messages.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast