Thread: Best prepaid (pay-as-you-go) GSM plan with data?

Feedback Score

Best prepaid (pay-as-you-go) GSM plan with data?

Hi Folks,

I'm only in the states for a month or two per year, and while I'm there, I need GSM cell service, ideally with a data plan. I'm usually located in Gainesville, FL or up and down the west coast between san francisco, CA and portland, OR.

I've been using T-mobile, which is OK, but it's near impossible to get data with my prepaid plan.

Any suggestions for better pay-as-you-go plans out there that are more flexible with their data plans? I was looking into boost mobile, but then found out they weren't GSM.

Any thoughts very welcome! thanks!

Feedback Score
    Tough one. For paygo data, Att Gophone is your only real alternate to Tmobile . All of their mvnos charge highway robbery prices for paygo data. Att's is 500 megs for $25 usd but it allows and supports paygo rate minutes. Really, there's not much choice in gsm paygo data at this time if you eliminate Tmobile.

Feedback Score

Not sure what the problem is

Without getting into a carrier pissing contest on whose "G" is more real "GE" than the other, TM data works fine for me..........except at home, of course, usually only 2G available.

It sounds like the $60/mo or higher 4G Monthly Plans would be ideal for you. Were you aware of them? New last summer. It sounds like you are using the old Pay As You Go type of plan.

I've been with TM for a decade. I've had some head banging events, but when I see what others experience on other carriers my take away lesson is that they all suck, sometimes.

Feedback Score
    hmm, the problem is that i'm often just in the states for a week or so at a time, and wouldn't want to cough up $60 for a week. but thanks for the thoughts!

Feedback Score
    OK, TM still has you covered. Buy the $3/day pass http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/p...ll-phone-plans

Unlimited talk, text, and data, first 200mb 4G, 2G after that.

Of course, your UK phone needs to be unlocked, and you'll need a TM SIM. TM sells them for $7, but the stores will often seriously rip you off, five times that. You'll also need to have $$$ in your account for each day, plus taxes. The easiest thing is to walk into a TM store and set it up, for sure.

Feedback Score
    Definitely good advice to go into a store. I've tried ordering a SIM both online and on the phone MULTIPLE times, and t-mobile is completely unable to send me a $3 SIM packet. The credit card always fails, or they screw up somehow, etc. The incompetence is impressive.

So yes, to the store I go.