Thread: Was about to go with Page Plus, TracFone triple minutes swaying me ...

Feedback Score

Was about to go with Page Plus, TracFone triple minutes swaying me ...

Need some advice on how to proceed with prepaid cellphone service and I registered to see if you guys could help me out.

I have a monthly account with Verizon, which we're going to drop as soon as the contract is up and go prepaid. I've finally convinced the Mrs., who actually carries that phone, that the new phone every 2 years thing is a siren song to keep you hooked and that we're utterly wasting money given how little she uses the phone. We are paying for 450 minutes a month, she uses an average of 50. We do not live on our cellular devices.

The reason she's carried this phone is that I've been able until now to pay my employer a small fee per month to be able to make a goodly amount of personal calls on a company provided cellphone. That is going away because my employer has changed hands and company provided phones will be limited to business calls only. I don't mind that, I'm tired of this phone anyway. It just means that I'll have to make other arrangements for personal calls and carry 2 phones. So be it.

I want to go prepaid because again, I don't stay glued to my phone even for business purposes. I make phone calls, I text, I don't do either one a whole lot compared to most folks in 2012, although I do it enough to need a personal cellphone. And I don't do web and have zero interest in doing web.

My two kids have TracFones that have worked fine for them, and I actually have had good luck dealing with the dreaded customer service on the few issues that had arisen. However, I had about decided to go with Page Plus, either with the $80 annual or the 12 plan, because really comparing the two carriers and researching and doing homework, it seemed to me like Page Plus was the stronger carrier.

However, what's swayed me is that TracFone is now offering triple minute deals on some of their phones. And I figure if I start out with a year's card, the way the minutes roll over, tripling everything, I could toss the cheapest 90-day card you could get on there every three months after that and that probably would give me more than enough cellular minutes to last me the rest of my natural life (I'm going on 54).

I know this probably has been asked to death, and I'm sorry for the repetiveness, and I'm sorry for the length of this ... but I've had experience dealing with TracFone's service with my kids, and I'd be a newbie with Page Plus. What it would take to sway me from the triple minutes would be if Page Plus' call quality, hardware (phones), accessories (like ringtones) and customer service were appreciably better than TracFone's. Because I'm willing to pay more for better quality. Would I get that with Page Plus? Thanks in advance for any help.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Page Plus would still be cheaper in the end.

With the Triple Minutes for Life promotion, you can get a 400 minute card that would give you 1200 minutes that are good for a year, for $99.95.

This is similar to the $80 card with Page Plus, except with Page Plus you wouldn't have to buy a new phone, and of course the TracFone service is $20 more per year. $20 isn't much in the scheme of things, and really neither is the $40 or so it would cost to buy a new phone.

You are planning on switching carriers anyway, so the annoyance of switching isn't an issue, you have to do it either way.

Another advantage for Page Plus is the wide range of plans, from the $80 a year pay as you go, that is one of the cheapest available for the very light user, to very reasonable unlimited plans. The $12 plan is another great option, but if your wife is truly using less than an hour a month, would probably be overkill.

Feedback Score
    2 things ... I wouldn't be switching carriers for the Verizon phone that's on a monthly plan for another year, we still have that much to go on the %#&*(@ contract. I will have to get another phone now, what I'm looking at immediately would be for myself to give me a personal cellphone option that I no longer will have with my company provided phone. I use the cell a bit more than my wife, although still not a massive amount so I'd need something along the lines of the $80 or the 12.

Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post

With the Triple Minutes for Life promotion, you can get a 400 minute card that would give you 1200 minutes that are good for a year, for $99.95.

This is similar to the $80 card with Page Plus, except with Page Plus you wouldn't have to buy a new phone, and of course the TracFone service is $20 more per year. $20 isn't much in the scheme of things, and really neither is the $40 or so it would cost to buy a new phone.

You are planning on switching carriers anyway, so the annoyance of switching isn't an issue, you have to do it either way.

Another advantage for Page Plus is the wide range of plans, from the $80 a year pay as you go, that is one of the cheapest available for the very light user, to very reasonable unlimited plans. The $12 plan is another great option, but if your wife is truly using less than an hour a month, would probably be overkill.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Based on what I see the 80.00 would be the way to go and with P+ if you need a bundle plan just for a month of heavy use you can add it since the 80.00 goes on your standard.
    For your wife depending on how much you pay now for Verizion you may be better off paying the early termanation fee and switching to P+ you make that fee up in just a few months.
    My daughter paid the termanation fee and made it up with the P+ savings in just 5 months all depends on how long you have left with Verizion.
    I like P+ because of all the phones you can choose from also.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post

I agree that Page Plus is a much better deal than anything that Tracfone has to offer. Keep in mind, if you purchase the 2000 minutes for $80, the minutes that you have leftover at the end of the first year will carry over and the phone can then be keep active for at little as $10 every 120 days. That means that the phone could be keep active for an entire second year for as little as $30. Hence, you could maintain a phone for two years for an average of $4.58/month.

Carriers
    StraightTalk
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    interesting topic and I'd vote for PPC as well. I am a similar user, averaging about 60 mins per month and about 20 TXTs and no data for now. Here are my reasons.

1) The real draw for me was the Verizon network. Lets face it. Its really good which is why Verizon has people by the nads even though they are outrageously expensive.

2) The 80 for 2000 is still cheaper than Tracfone's 99.95(+20) for 1200

3) My in-laws have Tracfones and it is a common occurrence that they can't reach each other even though they have a signal and they can reach me. It was enough to steer me away from that service.

4) You can use your current Verizon phone or just about any Verizon phone (pick up a used one cheap) that are much nicer than Tracfone's offerings.

I second what rtoney said about breaking your Verizon contract and paying the term fee. I did this myself (my entire family) as I came to the conclusion that since I planned on leaving I might as well leave now rather than continuing to pay the outrageous monthly fees. Its been very liberating and it will be just a matter of months until I recoup all of the termination fees due to much lower monthly costs.

Carrier
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    If you lose or break your phone; Pageplus is a simple esn swap and no problem keeping all your minutes, on Tracfone you could lose all your minutes and will be a hassle. Something to think about when adding 1 year cards.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    I've had phones on both PPC and Trac for several years. With Trac even with Triple Minutes and bonus codes I can not match the CPM of the PPC $80 plan. Trac does have features I like such as stacking and the ability to not be charged for unopened SMS but for pure cheap CPM PPC can not be beat by any other provider I've found.

Feedback Score
    PRW94 said: 2 things ... I wouldn't be switching carriers for the Verizon phone that's on a monthly plan for another year, we still have that much to go on the %#&*(@ contract.
    Do a search on how to escape Verizon contracts without paying the fee. There are a several methods to accomplish this. I haven't personally tried but it is worth the effort.

Lets assume you can't find a valid way to be released from your contract. Then tell Verizon you want to switching to Verizon's prepaid service with your phone, (You might call a couple of CDMA prepaid carriers to see if you phone will work on their prepaid service, if yes your good to go) if Verizon tells you that your phone won't work on their prepaid service tell them you have already verified that it will. It doesn't matter you buy prepaid minutes from an online source at the minimum $15 a month, and call forward all your calls to you PagePlus phone, you might have to buy a cheapy until your Verizon phone is release. Any way you look at it your still saving money, and pissing off Verizon.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    As far as Tracfone triple minute phones go, as far as I know they only offer the Lg 800g and maybe the Samsung t404g with that and they are both gsm phones which depending on your zipcode could be running on AT&T or Tmobile network.

So if Verizon works well for you currently and you just want to save money Page Plus would be a good choice.

They have so many plan choices, if your kids are like mine and mostly text, they have a powertext plan that you can add to your standard plan and you get 2,000 text for $10.95

Then if you are fine with 250 call mins and 250 txt you can use the $12 for your personal phone.

If your wife talks more she could be on the $30 talk and text 1200 plan.

Also when you look at the call usage she has you have to count all "verizon-in" minutes also because they usually don't count towards your 450 min.

I would ask Verizon how much the ETF is that is left. And figure out what phones you want and how much they are going to be.

Note that you cannot activate Verizon prepaid phones on Page Plus. I have had good luck buying used and refurbished verizon off-contract phones on Ebay for $30 or less. For example my kids like the Lg Env 2 alot for texting.

Phones
    Droid 4
    Droid 3
    Droid 4
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The Tracfone advantages in my opinion are: up to 3 or 4 different carriers (GSM phones on AT&T (best coverage of GSM) or T-Mobile) or a few CDMA phones on either Verizon or possibly a regional CDMA carrier like US Cellular. Stacking and banking of service time is allowed (add 2 1 year cards one right after the other as an example and you have the phone activate for 2 years- with PagePlus the service time does not stack so you should not add and bank the cards because you will reset the service time with each standard card added.

Disadvantages of Tracfone- many can have issues with the regular customer support (off shore provider that may have language issues) or complex transfers or something that go wrong and do not work. Your mileage will vary on this and there is a better Executive Resolutions means of getting issues handled on Tracfone.
    Another disadvantage of Tracfone- no refunds, and some have reported heavy handed fraud measures such as having to provide each and every pin number you applied to a phone to prove the minutes are legitimate or else they shut down the account claiming there has been invalid pins or transfers that are fraudulent.
    As others have reported the best you can do with bonus codes and a 1 year card is around 1500 minutes- depending on bonus codes (at a retail price of that card $99.95) so even with smart shopping and a discounted purchase of the 1 year card you can't get a 4 cent per minute.
    Final limitation of Tracfone is you must use their phones and there selection can be limited at any one time. The triple minute phones are not on each and every phone they sell, many are only double minute and a few still sold with only single minutes. No support for any bring your own device on Tracfone (only the sister company StraightTalk will be offering the bring your own device with a monthly plan).

PagePlus advantages include they use one of the very best carriers for coverage maps. No service zones and dropped calls still happen but it is a large percentage of the US that has good solid coverage. PagePlus also has low dollar cards ($10) that can provide service for 4 months, so 3 small purchases for a full year cellular service (vs 90 days or lower on Tracfone's smallest priced cards). Customer Service is still in the US and should not have any language issues. You can bring your own device, so if you find a nice phone you like that is CDMA based and compatible to the list of requirements then you can purchase it and PagePlus will activate (read the exceptions like other carriers prepaid phones, etc.)

Disadvantages of PagePlus- because of so many devices out there from different sources, PagePlus will not offer unlimited tech support or assistance getting device they did not sell on their network. They may offer some custom programming or recommended settings but issues can and do arise where a phone may not work quite right (but some have had issues with Tracfone provided phones not working right either and are told to purchase a new phone as your only recourse too).
    Probably not as many neighborhood retail locations to purchase minutes or cards (but the same options like direct via telephone, web site, and many on line resellers just like Tracfone) if you are the type that purchases cards at a grocery or gas station...
    Very limited brands and models of phones available if you do not want to bring your own device and want the security of purchasing a new phone directly from PagePlus that they will guarantee working on their network and activate.
    Because of the limited models, many are then pushed to purchase a used or refurbished phone to use on PagePlus and may have to spend some time and extra effort to activate and program the phone with no guarantee it will work.
    The 1 year card and 2000 minutes is not available for PagePlus directly, only though resellers, so slightly harder to purchase- but a great value and discount resellers are out there offering this card.
    If CDMA service maps are not looking as good for your areas of cellular usage, the PagePlus may not be for you, they do not have the capability of allowing you to switch to a GSM phone and transfer the minutes to another phone like Tracfone.

Compare also your text rates and the usage of data and any costs associated with each carrier if you want to text and do any mobile web or apps that require data usage to work.