Thread: Gmail suddenly stopped working

Feedback Score

Gmail suddenly stopped working

Hi, I have a iPhone 4S with unlimited browsing. I've been using it on Petro-Can for 2-3 months, all my apps worked and browsing and everything, BUT, gmail has stopped working on my phone on wireless, but works perfectly as soon as I'm connected to wifi. It stopped 2-3 day ago I guess, but only noticed this morning.

I tried rebooting the phone, deleting my account and re-enter it in my phone but no success, tried to set it in my wife's iphone 3gs (also on petro can) and it's not working either, but does on wi-fi. When I try to set it it shows "verifying" for a while, then tells me it's unsuccessful and if I want to try it without SSL and shows an error about imap.gmail.com.

Did it happen to someone else ? Thanks.

Feedback Score

Similar experience here.

Up until Tuesday everything worked, including gmail, market, navigation, etc.
    As of Wednesday, only web browsing works, all other apps are not functional. I can't even sign in to google.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    They have blocked http traffic now on their proxy, 10.128.1.69, port 80. Wap still works...

$50 for everything Canada wide was TGTBT... Considering long distance STILL isn't charged on the $50 plan which is should be according to their literature.

Feedback Score
    Is there a way (proxy, apn settings, etc. my iphone is jailbroken if that helps).
    I'd like to have my emails back without having to go thru the browser. All my apps that used to work still work. I had tethering (for very light web browsing when I really need it, rarely) that stopped working too.

Feedback Score
    Same here,noticed terrible battery life this week,no access to common sites, nice of the big oil company to tell us they changed the rules midstream.

Feedback Score
    Check out same issue on red flag deals for further explanation.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    For a brief summary - if you are on Android, try ProxyDroid, enter Petro's proxy as your host, port 80, and HTTP for the proxy type. Enable authentication and use the standard Wapuser1 / WAP username and password, and lastly set the app to apply all settings as a global proxy.

I can manually load gmail but there is no push. Browser works with every internet site I try, in full HTML, which it did not before proxydroid; it would only load certain things. Android market works when manually loaded. KIK Messenger does not work but WhatsApp works flawlessly, with push. Also Facebook and twitter seems to work, with push as well. Some apps are very intermittent - I use one called LoudTalks Lite which is PTT and it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every 5 minutes or so.

That's about it - it's better than nothing.

Feedback Score
    iphone 3gs on petro as well and also have no data , can anybody figure how we can get data back on the iphone ?

Phones
    Rogers Samsung Wave
    Rogers Samsung Wave
    Rogers Iphone 3GS
    Carriers
    Petro Canada
    Acanac
    Feedback Score
    Hi guys. It looks like they gave us what we wanted (sucked us in) and then shut us down. Ports have been blocked. Do we really care about how this happened or why? NO! The service was available, we payed for it, now it's cut. Court case, whatever. Explanations, who cares?! Petro-Canada Mobility gave me GRRRRREAT SERVICE for the past few months or so!!!! I want it back!!! Come on PC, you've got the money now, tell Rogers to piss off and give us what we want or else we might just go with another provider. HMMMMMMM, will it hurt Rogers to not have Speakout and Petro-Can Mobility? Maybe... Hey Rogers, why don't you screw over Fido while you're at it!

Feedback Score

petro mobility full data plan

"We are in the development phases and are working to bring our customers the best offering available.
    This does take time, and it definitely won't be available this month. It's difficult to give an estimated date however we are working towards launching the full data plan before the end of this year" from custsvc@suncor.com....looks like I'll be going elsewhere and checking back in 2013

Feedback Score
    if you have an android, root your phone and install autoproxy. everything but VOIP works for me.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cxdrive View Post
    Hi guys. It looks like they gave us what we wanted (sucked us in) and then shut us down. Ports have been blocked. Do we really care about how this happened or why? NO! The service was available, we payed for it, now it's cut. Court case, whatever. Explanations, who cares?! Petro-Canada Mobility gave me GRRRRREAT SERVICE for the past few months or so!!!! I want it back!!! Come on PC, you've got the money now, tell Rogers to piss off and give us what we want or else we might just go with another provider. HMMMMMMM, will it hurt Rogers to not have Speakout and Petro-Can Mobility? Maybe... Hey Rogers, why don't you screw over Fido while you're at it!
    Court case? The Petro Canada mobility site clearly states it's Unlimited Browsing and Unlimited Browsing still works. In fact, all the ports were blocked until about 3 weeks ago...someone messed up at Rogers. Just like you said, they messed up Fido

What, if your cable company gives you ALL CHANNELS free by accident, you sue them when they fix the problem and give you the channels you paid for...good luck with your lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjeep View Post
    iphone 3gs on petro as well and also have no data , can anybody figure how we can get data back on the iphone ?
    Surfing should still work, but apps won't work.

What happened was, for some odd reason Rogers opened up all the ports on Petro Canada Mobility, that was in error. Nice going Rogers...dolts.

Android users have it easy, root the phone and install "Autoproxy". Not sure how to do that in an iPhone 3gs.

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    iPhone users can follow this guide for proxy settings: http://binarysearchtree.com/review/speakout.html

That was written way back when unlimited browsing was on EDGE speeds...their cheap browsing service has come a long way. =P

Also, iPhone users can get Gmail on the Mail app by setting it up as an Exchange/Activesync account: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin...&answer=138740

If you don't want to bother with those settings, the Gmail app works pretty well.