Page 7 of 151 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Bring Your Own GSM Phone Program (Not a Loophole)

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 209chromatic View Post
    will the Samsung T401G + 3 Month Unlimited Plan $99 work with this?
    The ST T401G can only use a ST locked SIM. The SIM`s in this thread are of the unlocked type. The ST site spells out which phones can use the SIM they are selling. The 3 month card can be used on other phones, but this could change.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    If it uses a sim card, it's compatible. That is, according the requirements set forth by Straight Talk.
    HP Envy 14
    iPhone 5 16GB

Phones
    unlocked at&t Samsung S3 mini
    Carrier
    StraightTalk at&t
    Feedback Score
    So does this mean If I buy a iphone 4 locked to att along with there micro sim card evrything will work even sms messaging without unlocking the phone ? Does anyone know ?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ljfnky View Post
    So does this mean If I buy a iphone 4 locked to att along with there micro sim card evrything will work even sms messaging without unlocking the phone ? Does anyone know ?
    Assuming you got the AT&T SIM card from ST, you still need to apply the Internet settings (manually) and then jailbreak if you want MMS.

Phones
    Carrier
    StraightTalk at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    Assuming you got the AT&T SIM card from ST, you still need to apply the Internet settings (manually) and then jailbreak if you want MMS.
    Oh ok thank you for the quick reply

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I saw the post by someone who posed the APN settings for each carrier for byob, and changed from the normal apns in the everything android forums, and my speeds almost doubled. I'm not sure if after so long its throttled but I have never achieved over 1.5mpbs on the normal sim swap apns even running HSDPA+ on my infuse 4G and now I'm getting 3mbps + down and over 1mbps up.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using HowardForums

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

I found this about iPhone BYOB

Looks like iPhones will be supported. Found this in the programming section.

It wont let me attach a screenshot but it says

"Note: If you are using an iPhone, you may not see an APN listed in your settings, however you can create one by going to http://www.unlockit.co.nz. You will need a wireless connection to gain access to the internet through your iPhone to install the APN Settings."

http://straighttalksim.com/support.php#

Feedback Score

I'm confused...

First, I know very little about cell phones, so being confused is easy.

We have Verizon now, but would like to switch to Straight Talk. We are considering buying an unlocked G2x (since noone knows anything about a release date for the Optimus 2x on ST).

I would like to be on whichever network is better... so, my questions are:
    Which network is better overall? (they both have service in my area)
    I'm not really understanding how to determine which network will work with which SIM card... basically
    I am trying to figure out if I need to buy an "att unlocked" or a "tmobile unlocked" G2x??? or does it not even matter???

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Take notice people this thread is already blowing up and nothings even tested yet. That's because we all know it's gonna work and it's a fair deal.

You folks on the sidelines need to get onboard, don't be afraid to ditch your old outdated overpriced plans and get with the program and with ST. When you see a stable company offering a fair deal you take it and support them. That is how change happens.

And for f5cks sake if you got jolt, red pocket, h2o, airvoice or any other crap like that drop those evil greedy thieves like a bad habit you will not be sorry, guranteed.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stonedcold; 02-02-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedcold View Post
    Take notice people this thread is already blowing up and nothings even tested yet. That's because we all know it's gonna work.

You folks on the sidelines get onboard, don't be afraid to ditch your old outdated overpriced plans and get with the program and with ST. When you see a company offering a fair deal you take it and support them. That is how change happens.

And for f5cks sake if you got jolt, red pocket, h2o, airvoice or any other crap like that drop those evil greedy thieves like a bad habit you will not be sorry, guranteed.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    I agree. I told a few of my friends who are on AT&T with iPhones who pay $100+ a month, there gonna ditch their contracts, a few aren't even in one anymore, and switch to this instead. I still can't believe American Movi is doing this. Maybe they finally got the hint with the sum swap trick that people want.more choice and not locked into cheap our dated devices to finally compete with the big 3 and their prepaid plans but you can't beat this though. Device choice will practically be unlimited excluding cdma devices.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Rogers View Post
    First, I know very little about cell phones, so being confused is easy.

We have Verizon now, but would like to switch to Straight Talk. We are considering buying an unlocked G2x (since no one knows anything about a release date for the Optimus 2x on ST).
    That will only work on Verizon and Sprint - it's a CDMA phone. (No SIM card either.)

Which network is better overall?
    That will depend on where you are and where you need coverage. It's not a matter of one carrier being better everywhere. You'll have to check with people in your area to see which carrier has better coverage in the areas you'll want it.

I'm not really understanding how to determine which network will work with which SIM card
    The 2X doesn't use SIM cards, so if you want a 2X you'll have to buy a locked one from ST. SIM cards are used in GSM phones (AT&T and TMobile), not CDMA phones.

I am trying to figure out if I need to buy an "att unlocked" or a "tmobile unlocked" G2x???
    Unlocked means "not locked to ANY carrier". Which carrier the phone used to be locked to is irrelevant. However, they're not offering BYOP for CDMA phones, only GSM phones, so forget the 2X altogether. (It doesn't work on AT&T OR TMobile, locked or unlocked, it only works on Verizon and/or Sprint.)

BTW, people, my take is that if you call to order a SIM (when they open it next Tuesday or in July, or whenever), you'll be able to specify whether you have an unlocked phone or a phone locked to AT&T or TMobile. If the phone is unlocked they'll probably give you a SIM for whichever carrier they use in your zipcode, so the "put in another zipcode" thing might still work. But if the phone is locked to a carrier they have to send you a SIM for that carrier or it won't work. A TMobile SIM in an AT&T phone will throw an error when it tries to register on TMobile's network. It's the phone that determines which carrier the phone will work on, unless you unlock it.

And as far as the "limited unlimited" issue - ST sells "Unlimited Mobile Web Access". That doesn't mean unlimited video streaming or unlimited tethering to download huge files. I doubt that anyone who has a life could use 2GB/month just browsing the web on a phone, no matter how good you are on a virtual keyboard.

Feedback Score
    I agree with the post about the data.

You sidelined people don't let any of these liars fool or discourage you about living in fear about data usage. Learn to use your phone like a normal member of our species and don't abuse the system and you won't even need a data monitoring app. Nobody's gonna call you or turn off your stuff unless you invite them too. You bring it on yourself if you ruin your budget plan.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone noticed everything on straight talks website about data is described at "unlimited mobile web access" but on the straight talk sim website, its all referred to as "unlimited data".

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    WTF are you talking about, calling the G2x a CDMA only phone? It's a T-Mobile device! And it's exactly the same hardware, merely unbranded, as what ST will be selling as the "Optimus 2X". The ST version will be running on T-Mo. It's also the same device that Wind and Videotron in Canada sell as Optimus 2X. A different variant, by the same name, is sold by Fido in Canada and has AT&T frequencies instead.

Unless you perhaps have confused it with the CDMA Optimus Black? (which incidentally also has HSPA versions available - the AT&T compatible one is sold by Telus and the European/Asian version happens to be T-Mobile compatible).

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Yeah i see unlimited Data

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin.kelley View Post
    Has anyone noticed everything on straight talks website about data is described at "unlimited mobile web access" but on the straight talk sim website, its all referred to as "unlimited data".

Yeah I can see it said Data instead web like straightalk site said. Pretty interesting at this point.

Page 7 of 151 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 57 107 ... LastLast