Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

apps that will allow force roaming?

Recently got iPhone, a couple months ago. I am looking for some help now with a few things. I had Nextel and switched it to Sprint because I wanted a newer phone, and they also said that I would get the same service. Well, I got a newer phone, however the service/coverage is crap.
    In talking with a guy that I know, he has Sprint also, but an android type phone, and he has some app that will allow him to force roam. I am wondering if there is something like this for the iPhone?
    I miss every phone call, which is important for numerous reason to receive, and why I pay a premium for the service. Spoken with Sprint tons of times since I’ve got this phone and I get a different excuse every time I call. For during the day, I need to see if I can force roam so I can actually receive a friggin call….
    So I am wondering, is there anything like this for the iPhone?

I am new with all of this, but I don't think there is much new with making and receiving a call, even with a mobile phone as of todays technology.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It is unlikely that they would allow roaming where they have a presence. There has to be a roaming agreement between the carriers at a given location to permit roaming. No phone can force roaming.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    IPhone 5 64 gig
    iPhone 4
    Nokia N75 unlocked debranded, N85-3 unlocked unbranded
    Carriers
    AT&T- this week!
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    If your reception problem is confined to one place (home, work, etc) Sprint might give you a femptocell

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Femtocell! That's a good suggestion. Or if service is just plain bad in your area of interest then switch carriers. Forcing permanent roam is not the solution.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Roam control app
    Roamctrl.com
    Caring Person

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guy2 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Roam control app
    Roamctrl.com
    How is suggesting an Android app useful to the OP?

Feedback Score
    Ok, thanks for the info. If by Femtocell, you mean these Air-rave deals, yes, I have one, and it does not get such a good signal either and seems to be very unreliable at the office. I did give it a try there.
    My real issue with using this is that is has to plug into the network at my office, and that is something I don't really feel so comfortable with doing, nor do I think that management would be so happy with doing that either.
    How do I justify having this foreign item plugged into a company network?
    Forcing roaming seems to be an option on this guys droid phone, he is on the same network and able to make calls no problem, he is doing a lot of technical support at our office and on the phone constantly with people there. He said he has some custom ROM and it is rooted? It is written by Mike Dupree, I forget the name of the app now. The posted roam control app seems to be close or the same as what this guy has.
    I am totally frustrated with the run around I keep getting from Sprint

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    If Sprint doesn't provide the level of service you desire then the only sensible thing to do is to cancel your contract, sell the phone to cover the ETF, and sign up with a carrier that works where you need it. Roaming is definitely not the solution.

Phones
    iPhone 4s
    iPhone 5 Sprint
    Blackberry 8530 Boostmobile/iPhone 4s (Sprint/Straight Talk/Page Plus)
    Carriers
    Sprint (2000-Present) Straight Talk AT&T SIM (2012) Page Plus Cellular (2012)
    Telcel Amigo Prepaid Mexico(2011-Present) Nokia 252N with Telcel(1999) and Iusacell(2000)
    Feedback Score
    I used the Roam Control application and it really does what it says. I had PRL 11114 which included 3G roaming in Verizon and i used whenever i was in area with limited Sprint service.

Your best bet will be to get an Android if you want to do that since i don't think there is something similar for the iPhone.
    Sprint User Since 2000 & AT&T GoPhone since 2013
    Free 3G Verizon Roaming with custom PRL

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Okay, I could have missed it, but I don't see anyone pointing out that when you roam, even domestically, you are charged for it. so surely there's got to be a better solution than wanting to force your phone to roam. There have been other solutions brought forward like the femtocell, but really, I see other people espousing the virtues of their android cell phone that can force roam, yet I bet these are the same people that would never in a million years roam when they go to another country! ;-D

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    AT&T Blackberry Bold 9700 for work
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    Okay, I could have missed it, but I don't see anyone pointing out that when you roam, even domestically, you are charged for it. so surely there's got to be a better solution than wanting to force your phone to roam. There have been other solutions brought forward like the femtocell, but really, I see other people espousing the virtues of their android cell phone that can force roam, yet I bet these are the same people that would never in a million years roam when they go to another country! ;-D
    What are u talking about? Most plans nowadays include domestic roaming...at least a limited amount anyways.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    It is unlikely that they would allow roaming where they have a presence. There has to be a roaming agreement between the carriers at a given location to permit roaming. No phone can force roaming.
    My Treo had an option to force roaming - 3 taps, factory stock no hacking. Very useful in cases where there was a slight Sprint signal and a steady VZ presence. In such cases automatic roaming would not complete calls, but on force roam it worked fine. Rarely needed but it was great to have. Sprint seems to have discontinued it - there's no such option on my new Android phone.

Phones
    iPhone 5 16GB
    iPhone 5 32GB (wife)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It used to be that every Sprint phone had three roaming settings of "Sprint only", "Roam only", or "Automatic". About three years ago, Sprint began to remove "Roam only" as an option. I don't believe any current Sprint models have it - at least, not without a hack of some sort.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    None of those settings force roaming. Roaming is only allowed if the carriers involved have agreed upon it. Roam only will give No Service if there is no agreement to roam.

Sent from my GtabComb using HowardForums

Phones
    iPhone 4s
    iPhone 5 Sprint
    Blackberry 8530 Boostmobile/iPhone 4s (Sprint/Straight Talk/Page Plus)
    Carriers
    Sprint (2000-Present) Straight Talk AT&T SIM (2012) Page Plus Cellular (2012)
    Telcel Amigo Prepaid Mexico(2011-Present) Nokia 252N with Telcel(1999) and Iusacell(2000)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    None of those settings force roaming. Roaming is only allowed if the carriers involved have agreed upon it. Roam only will give No Service if there is no agreement to roam.

Sent from my GtabComb using HowardForums
    Which Sprint has with the major provider.
    With the right PRL and an app to force roaming there is nothing to envy of verizon. Loading a Verizon PRL or a custom one gives you full access to their 3G if you need it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast