Thread: Can't connect to wind away on galaxy nexus outside wind zone

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score

Can't connect to wind away on galaxy nexus outside wind zone

I've a Bell galaxy nexus that I'm using on wind right now. Yesterday night I traveled to Barrie. I tried to connect to wind away outside wind zone, but wasn't able to do so. Usually my phone is set to wcdma only, however, I tried changing it to gsm only and gsm auto but nothing. I also restarted the phone, but it still wouldn't connect to wind away or any other networks that were available i.e. 302220, Can Rogers wireless, wind away and some other. Whenever i tried to connect it would give me the message that "unable to connect.....". I've never had this problem with any other of my htc android phones (tmobile G2, Tmobile hd2, htc panache, htc amaze).

Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Feedback Score
    My wife had the same problem in Banff today.

Cannot connect to any other network than Wind Home. She also has a Bell Nexus.

I've tried flashing different radios without luck.

Android 4.0.2
    Baseband version m420krkl1

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Did you check to see if your national roaming is turned on? I think National roaming is on by default and international roaming off by default. Maybe Wind has your national roaming setting off so that you can't roam in Canada. I'd call in to check. I had mine turned off to avoid roaming charges. My international roaming is on for times I go to the US.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Whereas on my WIND GN in Vancouver, it will permit me to connect to WIND Away even in full strength Home zones right in the city. If I go to the network menu, wait for all the networks to load, and tap Away, the first time it will usually give an error. But if I keep reloading and I try several more times, it eventually registers. It's not supposed to but it does. Then it takes several more taps to convince it to go back to Home.

One thing I can suggest is simply patience. Sometimes the GN seems unwilling to connect to any network at all... then after toggling airplane mode and waiting 60 seconds, it grabs something. This especially happens after a radio flash.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gainexp View Post
    Did you check to see if your national roaming is turned on? I think National roaming is on by default and international roaming off by default. Maybe Wind has your national roaming setting off so that you can't roam in Canada. I'd call in to check. I had mine turned off to avoid roaming charges. My international roaming is on for times I go to the US.
    Interesting. I had no idea that they had a national roaming setting! My GN was doing this too on the drive between Vancouver and Whistler and I was wondering why it never connected to Wind Away in between. The odd part is that I had requested for Intl Roaming to be turned ON, but I never asked for National to be turned OFF.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
    Interesting. I had no idea that they had a national roaming setting! My GN was doing this too on the drive between Vancouver and Whistler and I was wondering why it never connected to Wind Away in between. The odd part is that I had requested for Intl Roaming to be turned ON, but I never asked for National to be turned OFF.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but the CSR I spoke to on two different occasions helped me turn on international and turn off national. I'd only turn on national if I expect to leave the home zone. I'm practically never leave the zone. But it's always good to confirm as some CSR gives wrong information. Don't want to misinform people but that's just what I was told.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Well, for me it did pick up wind away after many tries. But it's a pain in the back for sure to convince it to register to wind away.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtwo View Post
    I've a Bell galaxy nexus that I'm using on wind right now. Yesterday night I traveled to Barrie. I tried to connect to wind away outside wind zone, but wasn't able to do so. Usually my phone is set to wcdma only, however, I tried changing it to gsm only and gsm auto but nothing. I also restarted the phone, but it still wouldn't connect to wind away or any other networks that were available i.e. 302220, Can Rogers wireless, wind away and some other. Whenever i tried to connect it would give me the message that "unable to connect.....". I've never had this problem with any other of my htc android phones (tmobile G2, Tmobile hd2, htc panache, htc amaze).

Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
    Wind now has coverage in Barrie. Why would you want to use Wind Away? Also, Rogers is Wind Away so that is what you would connect to.
    Just loving it.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Wind now has coverage in Barrie. Why would you want to use Wind Away? Also, Rogers is Wind Away so that is what you would connect to.
    It's an old thread buddy. Besides in OP I mentioned between Toronto and Barrie, not in barrie.

Feedback Score
    So I called Wind and my roaming is on, and they basically have no idea what could be wrong.

Playing around with the phone I discovered that if I select " Use 2G Networks Only" and search networks I can connect to Wind Away and successfully make a call.

Still haven't solved the problem, but it's a first step.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtwo View Post
    It's an old thread buddy. Besides in OP I mentioned between Toronto and Barrie, not in barrie.
    Sorry I missed the outside part. And can I ask that you don't call me Buddy.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Try flashing the i9250UGLA4 baseband. I had the problem for an entire month since Wind signal is altogether very spotty in north Oshawa. I also flashed AOKP B27 during this time, but pretty sure flashing the baseband will do

Feedback Score
    Went to the Wind store and the guy set the phone to WCDMA preferred vs GSM/CDMA auto (PRL).

Haven't been out of the city to test this yet.