Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: My phone stolen, and bought one off of ebay.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0

    My phone stolen, and bought one off of ebay.

    Okay, I had my straight talk phone stolen this weekend, and called and told them and they deactivated it. So I bought a used one off of ebay and called straight talk and they said I could transfer my stolen number to the phone I bought. One problem. Straight Talk said they need the answers to the security questions from the person I bought the phone from. I have messaged them and hope they reply. But if they do not, what can I do?

    If I cannot switch my old number to the phone I bought, can I at least have it activated to work in my area code, or do you think they will still need the security question answers? I am asking here because there customer service sucks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    402
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    They need to make sure that you're not trying to use a stolen phone. That's why they need the answers to the questions.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,852
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
    Okay, I had my straight talk phone stolen this weekend, and called and told them and they deactivated it. So I bought a used one off of ebay and called straight talk and they said I could transfer my stolen number to the phone I bought. One problem. Straight Talk said they need the answers to the security questions from the person I bought the phone from. I have messaged them and hope they reply. But if they do not, what can I do?

    If I cannot switch my old number to the phone I bought, can I at least have it activated to work in my area code, or do you think they will still need the security question answers? I am asking here because there customer service sucks.
    Why would you think they will activate a phone for you that they think belongs to someone else???

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah I know they need to ask the security questions, I am asking if the seller does not reply to my message about the answers to the questions, is there any thing I can do to get it activated.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    378
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow so that security word does come in handy for something. I better go document that somewhere. If the guy forgot the security question he can login on straighttalk site and reset it so you can get past that step. Or try plead ignorance to eBay buyer protection program and claim you did not get a working product as advertised, maybe you can recoup the money and buy from someone else who does have all the details handy.


    Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    148
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
    Yeah I know they need to ask the security questions, I am asking if the seller does not reply to my message about the answers to the questions, is there any thing I can do to get it activated.
    If you tell them you bought it on ebay, they will skip the security questions... that's what they do with me every time I have to call them. They can't update the account info to mine, but they bypass the security questions because I got it used/from ebay.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    378
    Feedback Score
    0
    Excellent workaround!


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,785
    Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    If the SIM card in your stolen phone has been deactivated, the number is lost anyway. The number goes back to the original carrier's number pool.
    Earl F. Parrish

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    23
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just went through this about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I purchased a nokia e71 used off of ebay. When I received the phone it had no sim card in it. I had read some horror stories on hear about people having problems activating used e71's purchased off of ebay but only after I had already purchased it. When I got the phone I called and told them up front about how I got it on ebay and that I did not have the sim card but I did have the sim card number from the red activation card that was included in the sale. Surprisingly, they never gave me a hard time about it. They never asked me for any security questions or account info of former owners. They said they had to ship new sim card but, never questioned it. The phone is now activated and is being used by my wife. I don't know why they give some people a hard time? Maybe I was lucky?
    Last edited by dubois9837; 02-03-2012 at 03:49 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,852
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dubois9837 View Post
    I just went through this about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I purchased a nokia e71 used off of ebay. When I received the phone it had no sim card in it. I had read some horror stories on hear about people having problems activating used e71's purchased off of ebay but only after I had already purchased it. When I got the phone I called and told them up front about how I got it on ebay and that I did not have the sim card but I did have the sim card number from the red activation card that was included in the sale. Surprisingly, they never gave me a hard time about it. They never asked me for any security questions or account info of former owners. They said they had to ship new sim card but, never questioned it. The phone is now activated and is being used by my wife. I don't know why they give some people a hard time? Maybe I was lucky?
    You were lucky. Also, most people do not carry their phone and its activation card, where a thief would end up with both. You appeared legit.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by starlitdreamzz View Post
    If you tell them you bought it on ebay, they will skip the security questions... that's what they do with me every time I have to call them. They can't update the account info to mine, but they bypass the security questions because I got it used/from ebay.

    What do you mean they cannot update the account information? Will they be able to change the phone so it can work in my area. The phone is from a different state so it has a different area code.

Similar Threads

  1. Phone Stolen need new one
    By cradl in forum ALLTEL
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 12:46 AM
  2. Cingular Razr V3 - phone reboots and/or shuts off periodically...
    By gordinho80 in forum Motorola Phone Problems
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 05:56 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 12:22 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 11:06 PM
  5. finally broke down and bought one
    By eganske in forum Siemens
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2001, 03:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks