Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: APN & MMS settings for the new "Bring Your Own GSM Phone" program

Feedback Score

APN & MMS settings for the new "Bring Your Own GSM Phone" program

These are the APN & MMS settings for the new "Bring Your Own Phone" program:

AT&T settings listed below:
    Field Settings:
    Name: straight talk
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MMS Port: 80

T-Mobile settings listed below:
    Field "Smartphone" Settings:
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Proxy: leave blank
    Port: 8080
    MMSC: http://mms.tracfone.com
    MMS Proxy: leave blank
    MMS Port: leave blank

Field Settings All other T-Mobile phones
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Proxy: 216.155.165.40
    Port: 8080
    MMSC: http://mms.tracfone.com
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.40
    MMS Port: 8080

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    Motorla V600 (retired)
    Sanyo 8100 (retired), Samsung SPH-a500(retired)
    Carrier
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score
    Two questions:

1) You know if you will have to jailbreak / sim swap to enable the APN settings on the iPhone for AT&T (I assume yes).
    2) Is the att.mvno APN still traffic shaped to 7.2mbit?
    -Ben

Feedback Score
    Answer to question 1 is "NO".
    If you don't need to use MMS on your iPhone, you don't need to jailbreak your iPhone in order to change the APN. Just turn on wifi and use Safari and go to : www.unlockit.co.nz , follow the instructions and apply the correct APN which is att.mvno, then reboot your phone and you are goood for data and texting.

Answer to question 2 is "Yes".
    I have tested the Straight Talk sim in a Sierra Wireless AirCard 875, and the Sierra watcher shows the 7.2mbit speed. But for sure under the real world use, speedtest.net only shows download speed at average of 1-2 mbps.

Hope these help.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    The full instructions are here:
    http://straighttalksim.com/support.php
    (Click Phone Programming)
    Verizon 4G LTE----------------------------------AT&T 4G LTE

FreedomPop 4G WiMax

Phones
    myTouch 4G
    Samsung Skyrocket
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I put the APN from http://straighttalksim.com/support.php in my Skyrocket yesterday. Just got the phone yesterday. Had a ST SIM and was not getting more than 1Mbps down and 0.4 up with the other settings. Switched to the ones in the above post and went to over 3Mbps down and 1.0 Up with only 2 bars on the phone. I got my order in for the new SIM for AT&T today. I'm about 50 miles from a LTE Area. Need to plan a Trip to see if it works there with both cards in same phone with same settings.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    Motorla V600 (retired)
    Sanyo 8100 (retired), Samsung SPH-a500(retired)
    Carrier
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score
    Ah,

Well it looks at least for the iphone, nothing has changed.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blueoval4ever View Post
    I put the APN from http://straighttalksim.com/support.php in my Skyrocket yesterday. Just got the phone yesterday. Had a ST SIM and was not getting more than 1Mbps down and 0.4 up with the other settings. Switched to the ones in the above post and went to over 3Mbps down and 1.0 Up with only 2 bars on the phone. I got my order in for the new SIM for AT&T today. I'm about 50 miles from a LTE Area. Need to plan a Trip to see if it works there with both cards in same phone with same settings.
    The settings are exactly the same as:
    http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...d#Data_.26_MMS
    With the exception of the Proxy for Data.

For the MMS proxy, putting 66.209.11.33 or proxy.mvno.tracfone.com does the same thing, both go to that IP address.

It could just be a coincidence. If you clear out the "Proxy" field (not MMS Proxy, but just Proxy) and save the APN and restart your phone, does the data speed drop?

Phones
    myTouch 4G
    Samsung Skyrocket
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    silentjudge I have not rooted my phone. I tried to go to the new APN and it is not editable. I would have to delete the current one and redo it. I did a traceroute on 66.209.11.33 and it goes through some **.****.ip.att.net Host. proxy.mvno.tracfone.com goes through several ***.***.sprintlink.net Host. I have also found a app in the market that gives you your signal strength and what system you are on. I can leave it on the desk and it gos back anf forth from 3G to HSPA with 3 out of 5 bars. 3G shows as UMTS (384 kbit/s) signal strength is the same with both at -95 dBm. The app is "Network Signal Info" free in the Market. When I get some time I will try the older settings and see if it is switching on the 3G and HSPA.

Feedback Score
    silentjudge I have not rooted my phone. I tried to go to the new APN and it is not editable. I would have to delete the current one and redo it. I did a traceroute on 66.209.11.33 and it goes through some **.****.ip.att.net Host. proxy.mvno.tracfone.com goes through several ***.***.sprintlink.net Host. I have also found a app in the market that gives you your signal strength and what system you are on. I can leave it on the desk and it gos back anf forth from 3G to HSPA with 3 out of 5 bars. 3G shows as UMTS (384 kbit/s) signal strength is the same with both at -95 dBm. The app is "Network Signal Info" free in the Market. When I get some time I will try the older settings and see if it is switching on the 3G and HSPA.
    Routing will change based on many factors but the URL (proxy.mvno....) still resolves to that IP. The question if routing the data through the proxy will make it go faster. the iPhone doesn't have a field for data proxy only MMS.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    The destination for proxy.mvno.tracfone.com is the same as the IP address 66.209.11.33.
    See here:
    http://network-tools.com/default.asp...o.tracfone.com
    Notice where it says:
    IP address: 66.209.11.33
    Host name: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com

Anyways, it sounds like you don't have very good signal. So your tests could fluctuate pretty wildly. Dropping down to UMTS will result in severely reduced network performance compared to HSPA.

Carrier
    ST Unlimited x 4 Lines
    Feedback Score
    That means with new setting as given by ST with new sims and Data settings from "android" thread will be the same as far as downloads or uploads are concerns, or what?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone could/would not give settings that would slow your data down, would they?

Feedback Score
    I have it understood that if you have a T-Mobile or AT&T phone (that works with each carrier), the sim Straight Talk provides will also work without needing to root the Android or Jailbreak the iPhone. This is a great option but I am concerned about the 20 pages of terms and conditions on the site. Basically, most of the conditions are regarding using the phone for expended period of times or for lots of data.

At any rate, I found this calculator that is OK for estimating how much you are going to save even if you have a cancellation fee:
    http://nocontractmobilereviews.com/s...one_calculator

Feedback Score
    Yes please keep us informed. I would be very interested in finding out if you get LTE speeds when you make your trip and what your APN settings are. Thanks

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You shouldn't be able to get lte on the Skyrocket because it uses the 700 mhz for that.. And straight talk doesn't support that.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast