Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: APN & MMS settings for the new "Bring Your Own GSM Phone" program

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Even better, Yeswap.

Feedback Score
    hi i need some help!
    i have the e71 unlocked sim, are they making to where those no longer work with the mobile web? for the last couple months i have not benn able to use like facebook and others without having it on my wifi!
    please help!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by harleymom View Post
    hi i need some help!
    i have the e71 unlocked sim, are they making to where those no longer work with the mobile web? for the last couple months i have not benn able to use like facebook and others without having it on my wifi!
    please help!!
    Can you give us a little more info?

Are you saying you did a sim swap and took the sim out of the e71 and placed it in another phone? What phone are you currently using? And what are your current APN setting?

Phone
    Samsung SM-N900A
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Samsung A847 Internet Settings.

Thanks for all your help, even after creating new Internet settings, following the instruction from the manual and suggestions, it still goes back to AT&T Media net, I made the Straight Talk as default and save. After all the frustration, I ditch the Samsung A847 and bought a Brand New, Pantech Burst 4G LTE off eBay for $185.00. The only problem is that it uses a MICRO SIM and the A847 uses standard AT&T SIM. I ordered the Micro SIM from ST and I had to call CS to transfer the remaining days, transfer the same number to the Pantech Burst. I have HSPA 4G on both Pantech and AT&T Galaxy Note in Honolulu. Not to worry about the 2G soft cap, I'm mostly on WIFI.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Galaxy Nexus Straight Talk APN Problem - SOLVED

Quote Originally Posted by bcw448 View Post
    These are the APN & MMS settings for the new "Bring Your Own Phone" program:

AT&T settings listed below:
    Field Settings:
    Name: straight talk
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MMS Port: 80

T-Mobile settings listed below:
    Field "Smartphone" Settings:
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Proxy: leave blank
    Port: 8080
    MMSC: http://mms.tracfone.com
    MMS Proxy: leave blank
    MMS Port: leave blank

Field Settings All other T-Mobile phones
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Proxy: 216.155.165.40
    Port: 8080
    MMSC: http://mms.tracfone.com
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.40
    MMS Port: 8080

Those settings are good and fine, but they didn't work for me and I'll explain why. They aren't complete enough.

I'm a new Straight Talk customer, coming over from CDMA/LTE phones.

But for the past day I've felt like this> Earlier tonight I was on the phone with tech support "Sheila" in India for an hour (bumped up from regular customer service to her) trying to solve my problem. She kept asking me questions like "Are you sure you have an Android phone?" YES, it's a Galaxy Nexus -- can't be any more Android than that! Finally she said for me to just call back regular tech support 7a.m. - 7 p.m ET.

See, I picked up my brand new Galaxy Nexus Friday afternoon from the post office. Came home, activated the ST AT&T sim, set up my account, blah blah blah.

Fired up the new phone, ooh and ahhed over the ICS (not yet Jelly Bean), configured all the settings, downloaded apps, started the process to port my old phone number to Google Voice, configured Google Voice to work with my new ST phone number -- and the time went by.

I was on wi-fi here at home. But I made phone calls to and from my phone, so I knew the sim worked to get on Straight Talk. However, late in the evening I noticed that here at the house when NOT on wi-fi (I turned it off on purpose to test the phone), then I could not get data on my phone. No web browsing, no Facebook, no HoFo app... No data, nada. No data connection on the Straight Talk network.

I went to the convenience store a couple of miles away, which is right near the interstate, and parked in their parking lot. No data, no bars. YET, I could still call my home phone and leave a voice mail. Telephone part worked, the "smartphone" data part did not.

I checked and rechecked settings, and finally got tired of it and went to sleep -- HOPING that it was just a glitch from having a newly activated account. That in a few more hours, the data spigot would be turned ON.

Woke up today, still nothing. Deleted the ST APN and started all over again, using settings Straight Talk provided, and then even using settings I found in forums that are supposed to "tweak" speed. Nothing.

Now let me back up just a minute. See on my new Galaxy Nexus, when I turned on the phone the first time there was already a default APN there. WAP AT&T or something like that. Already configured in the phone.

But the instructions from Straight Talk said to DELETE ANY CURRENT APNs and create a new APN from scratch. So, I did.

And it didn't work. I used EXACTLY the settings above, and in APN form fields where nothing is mentioned in the Straight Talk settings, I left it blank (password, server, etc.).

AT&T settings listed below:
    Field Settings:
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MMS Port: 80
    Here was the solution:

On the newly created APN in my ICS Galaxy Nexus, this field was not populated. On the new APN, that field says "not set". And Straight Talk does not mention anything about entering anything into this field. Straight Talk Tech Rep "Sheila" did not mention anything about putting anything in this field, except to ask what was in it, but we went over the APN settings at least a dozen times. She never told me to put anything in there. ( I later figured out something needs to be in there!)

She told me to change the MMSC, she told me to change the MMS Proxy (we tried 3 different variations), she had me remove the sim, replace the sim, reboot a dozen times, and many "Are you sure you have an Android?"

This next part is ironic. She even asked somewhat accusingly me if I had "edited" an old APN instead of creating one from scratch. I told her no, I had followed the instructions to delete the old APN. She even had me describe to her how I deleted it.
    The irony is if I had edited the old APN I wouldn't be having this problem!

So, after getting off the phone with her, I got to thinking... I put in the sim card from my wife's account. No data. So, it's not the sim card unless they sent us TWO bad sim cards! What could it be? I even deleted the Straight Talk APN again and created a 3rd Straight Talk APN -- using the Straight Talk official settings. Still nothing.

I wanted to look at the "old" factory default APN I had deleted when I first configured the phone. So, I deleted the Straight Talk APN I had created, and I used the "restore default" function in that section of the phone. The little system processing animation appeared and the factory default APN appeared. I then EDITED IT the APN to put in the ST settings above, but KEPT everything else -- including that red highlighted field in the screenshot above. THAT apparently made the difference.

I suddenly got LOTS of bars, I got an internet connection.

Problem solved!

So, the official ST settings instructions are NOT complete -- at least for the Galaxy Nexus.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 07-15-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    This is the problem with BYOD and a company like ST. For us to get the price we like, then most of their CSR's can't be that highly trained. glad you shared the solution you found. The problem is that with android, each phone has it's own layer of skinning and customizing the the manufacturer and/or carrier has put on the phone. So menus and APN settings can carry slightly. The setting that was causing your problem is automatically populated on many androids. Some people also get better results by having two different APNs, one for data, and one for MMS. Just depends on the version of android and what the maker has put on the phone. That's one of the benefits of the nexus - no crapware. My buddy loves his for that very reason, not to mention that it's a great phone n general.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    This is the problem with BYOD and a company like ST. For us to get the price we like, then most of their CSR's can't be that highly trained.

glad you shared the solution you found. The problem is that with android, each phone has it's own layer of skinning and customizing the the manufacturer and/or carrier has put on the phone. So menus and APN settings can carry slightly. The setting that was causing your problem is automatically populated on many androids.

Some people also get better results by having two different APNs, one for data, and one for MMS. Just depends on the version of android and what the maker has put on the phone. That's one of the benefits of the nexus - no crapware. My buddy loves his for that very reason, not to mention that it's a great phone n general.

And that's why I was searching through all the APN threads to see if anyone else had my problem and what the solution could be. I'm not new to Android smartphones, but I am new to GSM. I've never paid attention to it as I concentrated on CDMA and LTE stuff.

I finally figured out that apparently on most phones here in the U.S. some fields are filled in by default. But on the penta-band "international" Galaxy Nexus, when you create a new APN there's one important APN field that is not populated and is not even metioned by Straight Talk in their intructions.

Yeah, in some of the threads, I saw some mention of having two different APNs and I will experiment with that next... but for now I'm just glad to be up and running with any APN!
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 07-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Feedback Score
    My APN type was blank after setting up a Galaxy Nexus on Straight Talk. Data was working but was kind of slow (seemed fast compared to my Sprint speeds) Speedtest downloads always failing. Picture messages seemed to get sent, but I had trouble receiving. Changed the APN type like you mentioned and everything works better. Thank you.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    So question, Ill be setting up my phone this week, its going to be the att galaxy s3, do you suggest setting it up like you suggest, by editing the old apn, or creating a new one with those straight talk's settings?

or is what your saying @chazzmatt only apply to international phone versions?
    Last edited by ec334500; 07-15-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know? I cant set up my phone until i know hahah Should I just edit the apn settings that are already in the phone when I get it, and just change the fields that straight talk has on their list, or create a new one like they actually want? Will get faster speeds if I just edit the one thats already in there?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ec334500 View Post
    Does anyone know? I cant set up my phone until i know hahah Should I just edit the apn settings that are already in the phone when I get it, and just change the fields that straight talk has on their list, or create a new one like they actually want? Will get faster speeds if I just edit the one thats already in there?
    Most of the guides I read erly on in the BYOD program suggested that you delete the existing APN and create a new one. Many phones don't allow you to edit the default the values in the "default" profile, thus the need to delete it. O most newer phones, you can simply add a new one and then choose it as the one to use, but on some you had to delete the old one first. I can't remember the name of the app recommended, something like "APN backup and restore" that actually allowed you to backup the original one to SD card before you delete it.

A far a speeds, if you are able to edit the original one, as long as you get the values correct, it should not matter at all whether you just edited an existing one or created a new one.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    Most of the guides I read erly on in the BYOD program suggested that you delete the existing APN and create a new one. Many phones don't allow you to edit the default the values in the "default" profile, thus the need to delete it. O most newer phones, you can simply add a new one and then choose it as the one to use, but on some you had to delete the old one first. I can't remember the name of the app recommended, something like "APN backup and restore" that actually allowed you to backup the original one to SD card before you delete it.

A far a speeds, if you are able to edit the original one, as long as you get the values correct, it should not matter at all whether you just edited an existing one or created a new one.
    okay thank you so much! So then would you say that if the internet doesnt work or if i'm noticing problems like the posts above then I should try restoring the old apn, and then edit the old one?

Phones
    Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Have the SIII on Straight Talk. I left the AT&T APN alone and just added a new APN for Straight Talk. I then chose the ST APN as the one to use. It tells you to fill in the proxy settings but you do not need these and the Speed Test app will work without these filled in. MMS and internet works flawlessly with these setting

Phones
    Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Seems they will only allow 2 pics? No idea?

This is the third pic

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lennydude View Post
    Have the SIII on Straight Talk. I left the AT&T APN alone and just added a new APN for Straight Talk. I then chose the ST APN as the one to use. It tells you to fill in the proxy settings but you do not need these and the Speed Test app will work without these filled in. MMS and internet works flawlessly with these setting

Note for clarification, he's absolutely correct that you don't need the proxy for data. However, you will need to fill in the MMS proxy, which is a separate item, and he has filled in correctly in his pic. Just for clarification for those who may read later.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast