Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for clearing this up

Hate to make excuses but it was late "for me" last night!

Feedback Score
    I just went from ATT to ST and I cant get my internet to work at all. I ahve tried to change the APN like it said but still nothing...Is there someone that can help me. I have the HTC Inspire, PLEASE HELP!

Phones
    Nexus 5
    NEXUS 5
    Samsung Note III
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sorry but have no idea about that phone.

Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have the inspire, and all I can suggest, is to make sure the third field, "proxy" is blank. Other than that, the settings that came with the sim card instructions work fine. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC Inspire on Straight Talk using HowardForums
    My Phone Can Amortize, Can Yours?

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ec334500 View Post
    Does anyone know? I cant set up my phone until i know hahah Should I just edit the apn settings that are already in the phone when I get it, and just change the fields that straight talk has on their list, or create a new one like they actually want? Will get faster speeds if I just edit the one thats already in there?
    For me and the my brand new "international" Galaxy Nexus, DELETING the stock APN and then creating a Straight Talk APN from scratch did not give me a data connection by using the Straight Talk supplied APN instructions.

See this screen shot? Straight Talk says NOT to do this! NOT to have two APNs -- and in fact to DELETE the stock APN before creating the new one. They do NOT want you editing an already-present APN. You should never see two APNs listed like this, ever -- according to Straight Talk. They say to delete all APNs and start from scratch, using their instructions to fill in the blank APN fields.

I followed those instructions, creating an APN using their settings...

And with the newly created "Straight Talk" APN, while I could make/receive phone calls, I had NO data connection. No web browsing, no MMS.

So, I deleted that APN and started over again. I ended up creating 3 (or even 4) APNs -- filling it in exactly as ST said to do. I called ST tech support, and spent an hour with India tech going over all the settings. Finally after India tech support gave up (telling me to call USA-base tech support the next day), I did an experiment. I restored the default APN "AT&T PTA" and then just edited that by changing only the fields mentioned in the Straight Talk instructions, then saving that. BINGO! That is what worked for my brand new Galaxy Nexus phone.

I used the settings given by Straight Talk, but they do not mention "APN type".

The only difference I can see is that APN type says "not set" when you create a new APN.

Yet, if you EDIT the stock AT&T APN on the Galaxy Nexus it has info already filled in for that field.
    THAT changed everything, turning it from just a phone into a smartphone that can receive data over the ST network.

The Galaxy Nexus is designed to be used all across the world by many carriers, so when you DELETE the stock APN, and then create a new APN from scratch, I guess you are expected to fill that field in yourself. Whereas most U.S. phones have that info already entered -- thus the difference in the default "AT&T PTA" APN and new (somewhat blank) APN.

I am not saying you have to do this with every phone. This is what worked with MY phone, which is a Galaxy Nexus.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 07-19-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    @ChazzMatt thanks for that! That made it really clear! I think ill create a new one, and then if I get internet problems at least now I know what to do to fix it! Thanks so much for sharing your success!!

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ec334500 View Post
    @ChazzMatt thanks for that! That made it really clear! I think ill create a new one, and then if I get internet problems at least now I know what to do to fix it! Thanks so much for sharing your success!!
    By the way, I just replicated the issue on my wife's new Galaxy Nexus which arrived today straight from Google. I got mine last week. Hers came today.

the stock APN is actually called "Cingular 410". I've been calling it the AT&T APN because I couldn't remember the exact name... and somebody else had a screenshot saying "AT&T".

Anway... stock APN.

Deleted it, created new APN using ST's settings (but leaving the APN type blank since ST does not mention that). Sure enough, no data:

Just like on mine. (Of course, I made sure that wi-fi was turned off as this was a test of receiving data from ST network.)

I then manually added the necessary words into the APN type field, and data flows! I didn't have to restore the stock APN and edit it -- I just added the words: default,supl,mms.

Feedback Score
    These are the setting i've been using on my HTC Vivid:

Name: straight talk
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: not set
    port: 80
    username: not set
    password: not set
    server: not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MMS port: 80
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: Not Set
    APN Type: default,admin,fota,mms,suplex,hipri
    Bearer: Unspecified

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thank you ChazzMatt -- you've just saved me hours of headaches. Amazing ST doesn't have this information in the APN settings they give out.

Phone
    Moto Atrix HD various ROMs
    Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I suspect the APN Type "default" is the reason why they want you to delete all other APNs...
    Moto Atrix HD: (fantastic reception) Younggun's HoloBlur X, and stock rooted JB
    Moto Atrix 4G: (great reception) M Montuori's Atrix-MROM 2013-03-30 (CM7.2)
    tmo SGS 4G (poor reception): bhundven's unnamed v1 (GB)
    tmo (Huawei U8651T) (good reception) Prism, CWM recov v4, CM 7.2 stable rom for U8650 Sonic

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisM77 View Post
    I suspect the APN Type "default" is the reason why they want you to delete all other APNs...
    Yes, but then they should tell you what to put in there instead. On most U.S. phones that field must automatically populate. But with the GSM Galaxy Nexus, with ICS or Jelly Bean, it does not. It says "not set" -- and you have no data connection with Straight Talk network.

I ended up using what the stock "Cingular 410" had in the APN type field and that worked.

• On my GNex, I edited the Cingular 410 APN and re-saving to get data to work.
    • On my wife's GNex, I created APN from scratch, putting in what ST said to put in -- but then added the APN Type words like on my GNex, and then saved. That worked, also.

My point is ST's instructions do not even cover "APN Type" and on some phones it needs to be filled in.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    Yes, but then they should tell you what to put in there instead. On most U.S. phones that field must automatically populate. But with the GSM Galaxy Nexus, with ICS or Jelly Bean, it does not. It says "not set" -- and you have no data connection with Straight Talk network.

I ended up using what the stock "Cingular 410" had in the APN type field and that worked.

• On my GNex, I edited the Cingular 410 APN and re-saving to get data to work.
    • On my wife's GNex, I created APN from scratch, putting in what ST said to put in -- but then added the APN Type words like on my GNex, and then saved. That worked, also.

My point is ST's instructions do not even cover "APN Type" and on some phones it needs to be filled in.
    The problem with them giving directions on that is that different android phones have different options in the APN type. It may be one of the areas that are "skinned" by the carrier, or it may be a manufacturer issue. Having pure android and faster updates is one of the main reasons I ordered a Nexus from the play store when I lost my iPhone last week. And thanks for posting your issue and fix Chaz- will be helpful when my nexus arrives.

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I wondered if mine (data) worked because I did NOT delete the Cingular APN. When I saw there was a password that could not be duplicated in case I needed to recreate the APN, I simply left it. Data has worked perfectly with nothing added to the ST APN type. Your info is appreciated, though.

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Rather than plodding through endless pages of multiple threads, I thought I would just ask directly.

iPhone has unlockit.co.nz which easily reconfigures your phone for Straight Talk. Has anyone written a similarly simple tool for Android? I just ordered my SIM card, and have some HTC devices in which I'd like to use it.

If all goes well, ATT will be "fired" the next month.

Phone
    Moto Atrix HD various ROMs
    Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Cool

My port seemed stuck in limbo with tmo still active and ST not so I filed a ticket on facebook support and after a couple goarounds was told that it was still in process so wait a day. However I checked 15 min later and tmo said emerg use only, so popped in ST (tmo) SIM and the rest was easy, thanks to ideas here to mod the orig tmo ones.
    Phone is tmobile Prism (Huawei U8651T) android 2.3.6.
    This is a May 2012 released phone and this process may not work on older phones...
    I deleted all but original 2 APNs: DATA and MMS
    I changed a few lines as noted below:
    I am not perfect - sorry if typos:

DATA:
    Name Straight Talk Data <-ST everything else left from T-Mobile DATA APN
    APN wap.tracfone <-ST
    Proxy <not set> (<ns> below)
    Port 8080 <-ST
    Username <ns>
    Password <ns>
    Server <ns>
    MMSC <ns>
    MMS proxy <ns>
    MMS port 0 (zero)
    MCC 310
    MNC 260
    Authentication Type none
    APN type default,supl,fota < I added fota
    APN protocol IPv4

MMS:
    Name Straight Talk MMS <-ST everything else left from T-Mobile MMS APN
    APN wap.tracfone <-ST
    Proxy (<ns> below)
    Port 0
    Username <ns>
    Password <ns>
    Server <ns>
    MMSC http://mms.tracfone.com <-ST
    MMS proxy <ns>
    MMS port 0 (zero)
    MCC 310
    MNC 260
    Authentication Type none
    APN type mms

I did not have to restart phone. tested with geekaphone and got my usual of 5.2mD 2mU.
    After restarting, about/status/ shows phone number and t-mobile network, HSPDA, in other words, what I had under tmo, and what I expected. All is well. So easy!
    Last edited by KrisM77; 07-24-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast