Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why is Net10 offering 50 dollar unlimited?

Feedback Score

Why is Net10 offering 50 dollar unlimited?

I don't get it.... why is the branding of Net10 becoming so similar to Straight Talk? Same phones, same BYOD Sim deal... except its 5 dollars more for the unlimited plan.... why are they keeping separate brands if the marketing has become so similar?

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    ST is a joint venture between America Movil and WalMart, my guess is that WalMart has a contract that insists on its brand being the lowest price for a comparable plan, and besides, AM doesn't want to be too dependent on WM and markets Net 10 through everybody else(Best buy, etc), and so keeps Net10 available. Straight Talk is the latest offering from Am, net 10 was completely paygo initially with the promise of a minute costing 10 cents which was a good deal when it launched, AM is evolving...
    You are right it increasingly becomes difficult to market both Net10 and ST with a 5 dollar difference, for the same plan, given the cutthroat competition in prepaid. Tracfone is Paygo, and ST is fixed monthly plan only, Net10 is the overlap between the two.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, the Unlimited option for Net10 (as well as the $25/750 minute plan), is certainly not the primary choice most people make in choosing that provider. I'm sure that the by-the-minute plans are still the main thing for Net10, and this is a product Straight Talk doesn't have. Having Net10 do an unlimited deal just gets a product similar to Straight Talk's out to dealers/retailers that Straight Talk is unavailable to, since they are a Wal-Mart or web-only deal. But yeah, who would buy Net10's Unlimited when you can get ST's for $5 less?

To go further with this, the whole reason for Net10's existence has changed since it was introduced as a $0.10 per minute alternative to brand-mate TracFone. It really doesn't even need to be around, but it has a lot of residual users, and it's probably a real headache to figure out how to move those by-the-minute users to TracFone (which is now a better deal, at least with the Triple Minutes For Life feature on a few phones).

But hey, America Movil isn't losing sleep over quibbles like this when they're making money hand over fist!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Keeping the pay by the minute plan is probably profitable. I know a bunch of people who cannot afford $30 or $45 a month and just add minutes when they can. There is a governemnt provided cell phone through safelink wireless. I have a friend who uses it (his dumb azz has 6 kids and is on welfare and get's food stamps) and it is through tracfone. He gets 250 free minutes a month and usually adds about $15 worth a month if he can afford it.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk is sold by Walmart and StraightTalk.com only. So I would assume theres savings there, a fixed distribution system and straight from them without a middleman.

NET10 is sold in many grocery and drug stores, and you can find refills for NET10 on places like Callingmart with a 5% discount. If you factor in the fact that Callingmart makes a profit despite the 5% discount, its likely that NET10 receives less than $45 in the end. 5% off of $50 is $47.50, and Callingmart probably keeps the other $2.5 (5%) for itself as profit, possibly even more.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Net10 also gives you the option of switching back and forth between the 30 day plans and paygo on your one phone. Although remaining airtime is zeroed with each change. The Net10 750 minute 30 day plan measures everything in minutes of useage (like paygo).

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, the new sim only plan covers only the unlimited plan. None of the other Net10 plans will allow it (at this time) and the new sim only plan doesn't allow Net10 branded phones (lol). I thought Virgin and Verizon prepaid's fragmented phone usage system (smartphones can't be used on paygo , etc) was bad but this is in some ways worse.

You have either a straitjacked for paygo/$25 plan or complete freedom for $50 unlimited. Makes it almost like two different companies within one. (And yeah, America Movil has four companies in one, Trac, Net10, ST and that Safelink program.

I think that if Net10 were offered to independent NON WALMART retailers and even more importantly, independent dealers, it will allow an offering that will approach if not quite equal ST's sim only plan.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    Straight Talk is sold by Walmart and StraightTalk.com only. So I would assume theres savings there, a fixed distribution system and straight from them without a middleman.

NET10 is sold in many grocery and drug stores, and you can find refills for NET10 on places like Callingmart with a 5% discount. If you factor in the fact that Callingmart makes a profit despite the 5% discount, its likely that NET10 receives less than $45 in the end. 5% off of $50 is $47.50, and Callingmart probably keeps the other $2.5 (5%) for itself as profit, possibly even more.
    This.

Never see StraightTalk refills anywhere but Net10 are all over the place.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I would imagine that unless they change their system you will only see the unlimited plans on these SIMs for some time. Their current system depends on the "air tank" built into their branded devices. That is the only way they can keep track of your minutes currently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using HowardForums
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29

Feedback Score
    One reason the early adopters might choose Net10 over Straightalk are the T&C's and the definition of "unlimited data".. ST forbids streaming, etc. and states "unlimited Mobile Web Access". Net10 says "unlimited data", but I have not seen the "fine print". ST is also known to chop folks off at 100 MByte/day or 2 GBytes/mo, depending on who you believe. Not sure what previous experience, if any, that folks have with Net10 in a similar plan.

I'm now on Red Pocket ($60/month for Unlimited/Unlimited/2 Gbyte) and am pretty happy, my strategy right now is to wait and see what happens.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LSupremo View Post
    ST is also know to chop folks off at 100 MByte/day or 2 GBytes/mo, depending on who you believe.
    As the person who started the post stating that in this forum, its not quite like that. I originally stated the 100MB a day and 2GB a month rule as a way of keeping people safe from being cut off for using too much data. What I do know is that this isn't an absolute limit or anything like that, its just advice from me and others. I have used more than 100MB a day, nothing happened. We do have a Hofo member who got cut off for using 300MB a day (while still being under 2GB in the 30 days). I think the take away from the 100MB a day and 2GB a month is that if you follow it, you should be safe. Can you use more and still be safe? Probably

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    As the person who started the post stating that in this forum, its not quite like that. I originally stated the 100MB a day and 2GB a month rule as a way of keeping people safe from being cut off for using too much data. What I do know is that this isn't an absolute limit or anything like that, its just advice from me and others. I have used more than 100MB a day, nothing happened. We do have a Hofo member who got cut off for using 300MB a day (while still being under 2GB in the 30 days). I think the take away from the 100MB a day and 2GB a month is that if you follow it, you should be safe. Can you use more and still be safe? Probably
    I think it is time for you and I to truly test the limits of your theory. Is it web browsing, Tethering, youtube, netflix, Vpn tunneling, video streaming, pandora traffic etc. that sets off the trigger?

Sure a safe round number is nice and all. Buy todays generation of information addicts want the cold hard facts. And if we work together I am sure we can figure this out.

So what say you. Are you up for that challenge I'm willing to work with you. The only question is who should go first to test the waters/ take the risk. I lean towards you because you seem to have far more experience and success with this than me!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    If you want tethering, Netflix, etc, you should just pay for it. You need to understand the limits of Straight Talk service. I have tethered on my ST service without issue, just no more than 50MB a day. There was someone on Hofo who was using their ST service to tether (no more than 60MB a day) as their primary internet service and I don't recall them ever saying they had an issue. Anyways, I think the trigger is how much data you use.

I'm not going to be testing any waters or boundaries. We already take a risk as it is SIM swapping and using significantly more data than on a Nokia smartphone. I've used 60-80MB a day for a week straight on ST without issue and thats as far as I'm willing to push it.

If you want tons of data, ST isn't right for you and you should just get postpaid service from one of the big carriers or use a prepaid with known set limits. Someone mentioned Red Pocket, $60 Unlimited Talk/Text and 2GB hard cap data. Keep in mind thats $15 more than ST and if your going to just use 1GB a month, you can safely do that on ST and save some money.

The way I see it, if your currently using 1GB a month or less on AT&T contract (1 line), you should consider switching to ST. If your using more than 1.5GB a month on a contract, you should stay where you are.

The cold hard facts are as follows, if you need more than 2GB of data, stay away from ST.

Reminder: everything I said above is referring to GSM-A on ST

Feedback Score
    I hope you know I was just kidding around with you. Hehe!

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedcold View Post
    I hope you know I was just kidding around with you. Hehe!

I hope you know that what I said above is applicable whether or not your kidding. Your childishness is moot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast