Thread: Straight talk Android coverage

Feedback Score

Straight talk Android coverage

Could someone explain to me how this works, I see their android coverage is almost laughable. Is it worth it? I'm moving 3000 miles to the north west and looking at my best options for coverage.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    That is a map of Sprint coverage you are finding so funny. You take a chance if you have no experience with actual coverage where you will be moving/traveling.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    The 2 Android phones use Sprint Prepaid network. Its the same coverage as Virgin Mobile USA
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check...phone-coverage

Feedback Score
    this is their att gsm coverage

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    NO!

Definitely not worth it.

If you want a CDMA Android Phone, buy one from PrePaydWireless. They have $45.00 unlimited talk and text, and offer coverage on both Sprint and Verizon for voice, but only Sprint for 3G data. That means nationwide coverage for voice, and the same data coverage as ST offers on their current crop of android phones. Alternatively, check out Ting.com, which has the same coverage at a potentially lower price depending upon your usage.

If you want a GSM phone, get the Nokia 6790 Refurb or E71 Refurb or wait a few days and buy the ST Unlocked AT&T SIM and pop it in the unlocked Android GSM phone of your choice.

Or wait until ST releases the LG Optimus 2X and buy that for $249.00. It should operate on T-Mobile's GSM Network, with voice roaming on AT&T.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    NO!

Definitely not worth it.

If you want a CDMA Android Phone, buy one from PrePaydWireless. They have $45.00 unlimited talk and text, and offer coverage on both Sprint and Verizon for voice, but only Sprint for 3G data. That means nationwide coverage for voice, and the same data coverage as ST offers on their current crop of android phones. Alternatively, check out Ting.com, which has the same coverage at a potentially lower price depending upon your usage.

If you want a GSM phone, get the Nokia 6790 Refurb or E71 Refurb or wait a few days and buy the ST Unlocked AT&T SIM and pop it in the unlocked Android GSM phone of your choice.

Or wait until ST releases the LG Optimus 2X and buy that for $249.00. It should operate on T-Mobile's GSM Network, with voice roaming on AT&T.
    Is the voice roaming on AT&T confirmed?

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Since the phone hasn't even been released yet, no, it has not been confirmed that the LG Optimus 2X will run on T-Mobile, or that it can roam for voice on AT&T.

But, I can confirm that ordinary Straight Talk phones with T-Mobile SIMs will roam for voice calling on AT&T Towers when out of range of T-Mobile towers, and I can also confirm that when doing so, data doesn't work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ndtv88 View Post
    Is the voice roaming on AT&T confirmed?
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Feedback Score
    Every area is different. I'm from Northeast PA and Sprint sucks here too. Verizon and AT&T have just about equal coverage in my area but one thing that I learned is that I was better off with an AT&T based Straight Talk phone. I started with using a CDMA based one and learned that they only pull in Verizon towers and don't roam. Having Verizon in the past and knowing that I would rarely get dropped calls led me to believe that a CDMA based Straight Talk phone should work great yet after trying one out I noticed alot of dead spots where my old one would normally roam and felt like I had been deceived. I bought a Nokia E71 since they run from AT&T's towers and do roam for voice and have been happy ever since. So basically what i'm saying is that when you pick your phone for the area and you go to compare coverage maps for the different phones that you get make sure when you check for CDMA you take into the account that you will only get service from Verizon based towers with no roaming. And also unless you're around a large city don't even consider Sprint. It seems to me like any bigger city i've been to has excellent coverage for Sprint but as soon as you get into a rural area your phone turns into an expensive paperweight.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    LG Optimus Q Straight Talk
    iPhone 3gs Straight Talk
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I have the LG Optimus Q from ST running on the CDMA-S coverage area. I live in the Chicago, Il area and plan on traveling to Orlando. Can anyone tell me what the voice and data coverage is like while traveling to and staying in Orlando?

Phones
    All R/Were on Straight Talk HTC EVO, Fascinate, Casio Commando, LG Revolution,HTC TB,Incredible 1& 2
    HTC EVO 4G ON Straight Talk - DIED
    Samsung Fascinate OC'd to 1.2 on Straight Talk-Sold
    Carriers
    STRAIGHT TALK-Flash Android's to
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpwn2004 View Post
    this is their att gsm coverage
    That isn't AT&t it's their Verizon Coverage & you can always find you a good Verizon Android like a Samsung SCH-i500 Fascinate or a HTC Incredible 1 or 2 and get great Verizon coverage and 3G Data Speeds.

Carriers
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4MUSKRAT View Post
    That isn't AT&t it's their Verizon Coverage & you can always find you a good Verizon Android like a Samsung SCH-i500 Fascinate or a HTC Incredible 1 or 2 and get great Verizon coverage and 3G Data Speeds.
    You can use those phones on ST?
    I thought the Proclaim was the only Android phone that works off VZW for ST?

Phones
    All R/Were on Straight Talk HTC EVO, Fascinate, Casio Commando, LG Revolution,HTC TB,Incredible 1& 2
    HTC EVO 4G ON Straight Talk - DIED
    Samsung Fascinate OC'd to 1.2 on Straight Talk-Sold
    Carriers
    STRAIGHT TALK-Flash Android's to
    Feedback Score
    That might b the only 1 they sell. I flash Vzw Androids over to S.T. And they work great. Ive been using all kinds of flashed cdma androids for 3 yrs with no issues. Ive prob flash close to 800 phones 2 S.T. With no issues if u dont use 20gb a month.

Sent from my HTC DINC 2 FULLY working on Straight Talk using Tapatalk 2