Thread: Red Pocket and International Dialing

Feedback Score

Red Pocket and International Dialing

Hi,

Red Pocket advertises direct dialing for international calls and no need to use calling cards, etc, but this simply has not proved to be true. I am completely blocked from dialing any International calls without an access number. I also find it ironic that they claim coverage in Puerto Rico, but they count Puerto Rico as an International Call. So does that mean if I'm in PR I can call home, but I can't actually call anywhere on the Island? Silly.

Carrier
    T-mobile,VZW
    Feedback Score
    The Red Pocket SIM is supposed to intercept the international call and send it off to the access number. I wonder why that's not happening for you.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    The Red Pocket SIM is supposed to intercept the international call and send it off to the access number. I wonder why that's not happening for you.
    I finally called customer service again after the first moron told me I had to use the access number. They some how fixed it on their end. Ugh.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Yes. That is what is supposed to happen.

When you call a number which isn't a US number, if I remember correctly, you should hear a message saying "Connecting your call". This is with Red Pocket Mobile's Pay As You Go plan. At the point of the "Connecting your call", it automatically deducts 1 minute from the balance even if the other line is busy. This only happens for international calls (calls outside the US). If you call a US number and it is busy, you aren't billed the minute if the other line is busy.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): OnePlus One

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): Rogers unlocked Blackberry Q10

My Tech Blog

Feedback Score
    Oddly enough, they consider Puerto Rico an international call even though none of the other carriers do. The things is, just like with calling cards, I can't complete my call during peak times.

Feedback Score
    I recently set up a Pay As You Go line with Red Pocket GSMA and put $10 in the account for a relative in the U.S. to call Vietnam. Instead of being charged $0.01 per minute as advertised for calls to Vietnam mobile numbers, the account was charged at $0.10 per minute standard paygo rate. So I called customer service rep to get a call log and noticed that the calls to Vietnam were connected through the Red Pocket international access number 626-388-9788 even though my relative direct dialed the mobile number in Vietnam. I complained about this and the same rep, who previously told me the rate was $0.01/min, now told me that the rate is actually $0.10 + $0.01 for each minute. I told her I want to talk to a supervisor but was told no one else was there, so I will call back tomorrow to see if I can talk to a sup about this.

My question is: has anyone been able to make a direct-dialed international call on Red Pocket? I am sure my relative dial directly because she does not know the Red Pocket access number, and yet the calls were all routed through the access number, and thus were charged $0.10 per minute.

Feedback Score
    So this morning, I just did a chat with another service rep, and the guy first told me the rate was only $0.01 per minute and assured me it would be the same whether I dialed directly or use the access number. Then when I confront him with the $0.10/min rate charged on my call log, he then told me it was $0.10 plus $0.01. So I told him the website gave me false info, and he gave me false info, and they charged me incorrectly, and that I would file a complaint with the FCC, which I just did (of course I included the chat log, my call log, and a screen capture of the advertised rate with the FCC complaint).

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Were you really expecting to call Vietnam for less than it costs to call within the USA on that same plan? On PAYGO you always pay first for the airtime by the minute no matter where you call.

If you have an unlimited USA minutes plan then the incremental cost to call Vietnam is $0.01 per minute.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305 View Post
    Were you really expecting to call Vietnam for less than it costs to call within the USA on that same plan? On PAYGO you always pay first for the airtime by the minute no matter where you call.

If you have an unlimited USA minutes plan then the incremental cost to call Vietnam is $0.01 per minute.
    Red Pocket website does not say that the rate on PayGo is a combination of the standard $0.10/min plus the international rate, so this is deceptive advertising.

I also use LycaMobile and they clearly state on their new PayGo plan that there is a charge of 5 cents/min plus the international rate. Before they switch to the new LycaMobile Plus plans, PayGo on Lyca was only the international rate, without the 5 cents/min charge. So previously on Lyca PayGo, I only paid $0.03/min to call Vietnam (now the rate is $0.05/min + $0.03/min). Calling within the U.S. on Lyca PayGo is still $0.02/min, even though the new rate is supposed to be $0.05/min.

Feedback Score
    Also, if Red Pocket PayGo rate for Vietnam mobile is truly $0.10/min + $0.01/min, then the call log sent to me by the Red Pocket rep would show that the calls are billed at $0.11/min. However, all the calls made to Vietnam were billed at $0.10/min.

Edit: example, on a 2-minute-4-seconds call to Vietnam, they rounded it up to 3 minutes and charged $0.30 to my account, instead of $0.30 + $0.03 for a total of $0.33. So for the $10 I put on the PayGo, I got 97 minutes to Vietnam plus 3 minutes of local incoming calls (which I only answered by accidents). I used this line exclusively for Vietnam.
    Last edited by user1name; 11-25-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Give example, fixed calculating error

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score
    I am afraid this is how international calling works for all PAYGOs. You are charged for the paygo minute and the international charge per minute. That you are only charged ten and not eleven a minute is their error.

Carriers
    AT&T mobile share
    T-mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    For postpaid plans at least for t-mobile calling internationally would also deduct minutes as if it were a domestic call. If those minutes were depleted then the cost per minute would also include overages although this is no longer a case today since they no longer charge overages even on a limited minute plan.

It may be possible that somewhere else on the Red pocked site there is a list of locations that can be called at no additional cost on paygo but has not been updated on the page you saw it advertised.

Tracfone is the only prepaid provider that does not deduct extra for many international locations but an access number is also needed and only one city is available for Vietnam.