Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Non removable batteries becoming a $$$$ headache

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score

Non removable batteries becoming a $$$$ headache

Folks...I need to pull the trigger on either a Droid 4 or a Maxx pretty soon. However, the non-removable battery seems like a source of pain in the future.

Let's say I go for a Droid 4. Sixteen months into the contract the battery starts to crap out. If I put it on a Amex card, they'll pay UP TO the initial cost of the phone ($300). But Verizon tech support tells me today that the phone battery can't be replaced, you have to replace the entire phone ($600?+).

Has anyone yet tried to replace a battery in any of these non-replaceable battery phones? Any thoughts on how to get around the possibility of having to shell out big bucks just because of a bad battery in 18 months?

thanks!

Mike Nassour / Austin TX

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post
    Any thoughts on how to get around the possibility of having to shell out big bucks just because of a bad battery in 18 months?

Mike Nassour / Austin TX
    Have you considered the Nexus or Rezound?

Phone
    HTC ONE M8
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    There are numerous videos on you tube showing the razr being disassembled. So it is do-able. The comments indicate it is not a hard task. Not sure I'd want to try it, but just saying it is being done. There will surely be batteries coming out as well for these do it yourselfers.
    That said tho, I can't recall the last time I had to replace a li-ion battery. The usually last the length of a contract. Guess I'll see. I picked up a maxx 10 days ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    There are numerous videos on you tube showing the razr being disassembled. So it is do-able. The comments indicate it is not a hard task. Not sure I'd want to try it, but just saying it is being done. There will surely be batteries coming out as well for these do it yourselfers.
    That said tho, I can't recall the last time I had to replace a li-ion battery. The usually last the length of a contract. Guess I'll see. I picked up a maxx 10 days ago.
    I know at the end of my droid, the battery would last between 2 and 3 hours.... If you are concerned about replacing the battery, an external charger is always an option too... I know it kind of defeats the purpose, but just a thought..

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eldorito View Post
    I know at the end of my droid, the battery would last between 2 and 3 hours.... If you are concerned about replacing the battery, an external charger is always an option too... I know it kind of defeats the purpose, but just a thought..
    No, no, that's always a consideration. Regarding the Nexus and Rezound, I was in a Verizon store the other day and made test calls on the Nexus. A good friend on the other end (whose ears I trust) said the audio quality on the two Motorola phones was far, far superior to the Nexus. Didn't check out the Rezound, guess I'll do that today. Thanks, I had overlooked it.

Thanks for the update on the Moto videos. I didn't realize that could be done, the way the Verizon tech support folks spoke yesterday, only the manufacturer should ever open these phones! I'll check into those ASAP. If I've even got an option of any kind for battery replacement, I'd feel a lot better.

Worst case scenario...give up my real keyboard and go with the Maxx. At least it should last for a day after running two years!

Phones
    Moto X Developer
    On my 24th Motorola phone now. Too many to count.
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here is a thread on how to upgrade the Maxx battery to the RAZR, which just dropped to $99

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1477982

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Nice project....I wonder if the OEM parts are available?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eldorito View Post
    Have you considered the Nexus or Rezound?
    +1 on this. I find both are more ergonomic and have WAY nicer displays while performing just as well more or less in the smart part of the smartphone regime. Can't say my GNex has the best fringe reception, but I never have issues anywhere I live or even notice it as an issue on trips.

There is ZERO info on reliability of this lithium tech for phone use and it is not at all the same as standard batteries we are used to in phones the way I understand it. This is some new battery tech used specifically for thinner cells and this is the reason for the nonremovable nature as they are not durable if removed and replaced a lot with a more standard removable design.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post
    No, no, that's always a consideration. Regarding the Nexus and Rezound, I was in a Verizon store the other day and made test calls on the Nexus. A good friend on the other end (whose ears I trust) said the audio quality on the two Motorola phones was far, far superior to the Nexus. Didn't check out the Rezound, guess I'll do that today. Thanks, I had overlooked it.

Thanks for the update on the Moto videos. I didn't realize that could be done, the way the Verizon tech support folks spoke yesterday, only the manufacturer should ever open these phones! I'll check into those ASAP. If I've even got an option of any kind for battery replacement, I'd feel a lot better.

Worst case scenario...give up my real keyboard and go with the Maxx. At least it should last for a day after running two years!
    Gotta be VERY VERY careful on nexus not to cover or obscure mic somehow as it's location is bad. Need to make sure you weren't doing that. It's annoying, but may have been the reason you sounded SO much worse. Doubt the call quality is quite as good though, but that isn't a huge concern of mine as I don't talk much myself and usually am busy if I do so use a bluetooth headset.

Read comments on battery stuffs above. I get the impression these aren't real stable cells and that is the reason for nonremovable nature. May need to be careful if doing a swap yourself even in handling the cells. I doubt it's a huge deal so much as they can't be thrown around and tortured physically to anywhere near the degree cells we are used to and they don't want a liability so are advising against replacement even though it's probably mostly safe if you keep in mind they aren't durable handle-able cells and are build in for this reason.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    I appreciate the info on the Nexus' mic. My friend with the ears () said it sounded "raspy", like I was talking with my nose closed.

But I've got to tell you, I have switched more than a couple of LiIon batteries in my time and have found those I've used to be dog-reliable and steady. I'm concerned the recent trend toward non-removable cells has more to do with design and styling than with any technical issue. Just my opinion, not trying to start anything!

Still need to investigate the Rezound, a project for Monday.

Feedback Score
    I hate them just for the simple fact that I like to play with different roms and modifications to my phone. I have needed to battery pull on numerous occasions when a flash went wrong or I messed something up or needed to wipe data after bringing my DX back to Froyo from GB etc... I don't trust the hard reset technique on these non-removable battery phones to work plus it kills the ability carry spare batteries and swap them out. I see them all going this route eventually though... I did read an article where there are new batteries being developed that last 5x as long as today's batteries and will be in everything in 4-5 years so I guess as far as longevity goes it won't matter at that point.

Feedback Score
    I typically keep all my phones to the point of needing to purchase a second battery. I pre-ordered the OG Droid when it first came out and just upgraded (gift) to a DX a month ago. The DX (used) already needs a battery, it only lasts about 4-5hrs on a full charge with normal use. Moto is really heading the wrong direction with me. First The Bootloaders being locked, now everyone is trying to be an iFail look alike with non-removable batteries etc. If Moto keeps this trend up, when i decide to upgrade (which I have been eligible for quite some time now) it will NOT be a MOTO and all but one phone, I have ever owned for Cell phones have been Moto's (FLEX-Gold pager, Star-Tac, Razr, Razr Maxx, V750, OG Droid, Droid DX) and the the DX is the only one I have had given to me, all others I have either bought on contract or bought outright. Mabye with Google in the process of buying Moto, they will change some things...We can all Hope anyway!

Yeah That Worked Well...NOT!!!

Phone
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Non removable batteries are not a big deal. Realistically, how many times is a battery getting replaced? Once a year for the heaviest, and most abusive users and battery conditions maybe?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Last 5: HTC Thunderbolt
    Motorola Droid, BB Tour, BB Storm, BB Pearl
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
    Non removable batteries are not a big deal. Realistically, how many times is a battery getting replaced? Once a year for the heaviest, and most abusive users and battery conditions maybe?

Maybe, but there are many power users that like to have a full battery or two lying around for when their battery dies.

Carrier
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

The real issue for me is hard battery-pull resets. Just had to do a quick one earlier this evening on this DX when my straying index finger oopsed up a bad-guy website.

In less than10 seconds, while holding some key combo, the damage would already have been done.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score

Yep...right about the time your warranty expires and you're stuck with a phone with a bad battery for the remaining year of your contract.

BTW...I finally settled on the Razr Maxx. Nice phone, well built, but with 4G/LTE you STILL need to charge every day. 3G will give you two days.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast