Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using Android as WiFi phone only

Feedback Score

Using Android as WiFi phone only

I am currently using the $35 PayLo plan with a Kyocera S2100.
    I figure that I can eliminate that cost by buying an Android phone and using GrooveIP/GoogleVoice or Skype to make free calls using WiFi only. I have WiFi access at home and work, and I don't talk while driving.
    I would use an app to keep the phone from going into sleep mode, so I could get incoming calls at all times, although I understand that this requires frequent battery recharging.

Will VirginMobile allow me to purchase an Optimus V without a data plan?

Is this a reasonable idea for someone who only wants a phone without all the social media bells & whistles?

Feedback Score
    If you want to activate VM's android phones, you must use their Beyond Talk plans, the cheapest of which is $35. You can not activate them on the pay lo plan. Now if you want to just use them as a wifi device, they will work without activation, but then at that point, you could always just get an android wifi device instead.

The cheapest way to do what you want is to find a used verizon android phone and then activate it on pageplus, as they don't require a data plan.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think that what he is asking is if he can use the phone without activating it at all, on WiFi. I have an Optimus V with no service on it, and you can still use it with WiFi; browse and get email. I suspect that if you root it and can get VOIP working that you could make calls. I don't know about MMS though, That requires OTA to send and receive, but maybe a third party app could be used.

Feedback Score
    Would rooting be required to use GrooveIP/GoogleVoice or Skype on the Optimus V?

I'm also wondering if there are any huge drawbacks to doing this? Obviously I wouldn't be able to make calls from a restaurant without a hotspot or from a broken down car in the forest, but I think the savings are worth the risk to me.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gplantam View Post
    Would rooting be required to use GrooveIP/GoogleVoice or Skype on the Optimus V?

I'm also wondering if there are any huge drawbacks to doing this? Obviously I wouldn't be able to make calls from a restaurant without a hotspot or from a broken down car in the forest, but I think the savings are worth the risk to me.
    GrooveIP is very latency sensitive. So if the network is laggy or the wireless signal isn't perfect, it's going to be unusable.
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiopoid View Post
    I have an Optimus V with no service on it, and you can still use it with WiFi; browse and get email. I suspect that if you root it and can get VOIP working that you could make calls. I don't know about MMS though, That requires OTA to send and receive, but maybe a third party app could be used.
    Without activation, you can only send SMS and MMS to email addresses. You can't receive SMS or MMS, obviously, because an unactivated phone has no phone number associated with it that a sender could send to..

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Without activation, you can only send SMS and MMS to email addresses. You can't receive SMS or MMS, obviously, because an unactivated phone has no phone number associated with it that a sender could send to..
    You can text via a Google Voice number.

Phone
    LG Optimus F6 (Unlocked, Rooted, & De-bloated)
    Carrier
    Red Pocket, Ptel, Lyca, AirVoice
    Feedback Score
    Yes you can use it as a wifi only device without activation. No rooting/custom ROM needed, but it's not too hard and makes it run better. with Google Voice it can send & receive SMS too, Groove IP/skype/vonage/talkatone all can use the VoiP feature. Wifi works much better than VM's 3G data anyway for VoIP. Also little known fact, in the U.S. all phones, even unactivated ones can make emergency 911 calls.

Feedback Score
    You could always get a prepaid plan, like Tmobile's 10c a minute and use a dumb phone as a backup phone for when you have to make a call and you aren't in a wifi spot.

But it's actually cheaper to buy a used android phone, than a galaxy player (only iPod Touch like device for android).

I just got myself a Galaxy S Fascinate for $40 to use as a PMP, the guy bootlooped it so he wanted to get rid of it since he didn't know how to fix it

Phones
    OptimusV-2.2.2
    LG Optimus V
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    buy a used phone off ebay that still has a good ESN, that means its been "activated" and still good. If that makes things easier for you. Also cheaper.
    *NEW Ramos W17PRO Dual Core Cortex A9 1.5Ghz 1GB DDR3 ICS Tablet > FLsuperstore.com
    - KindleFire -
    LG Optimus V Bone stock Fryo 2.2.2 - [FoxFi Tethering]
    2X LG Optimus V Rooted Fryo 2.2.2 WiFi Only Phone -
    Eken T02A Allwin A10 Tablet Gingerbread 2.3.4 > FLsuperstore.com -
    My Apps List -
    WiFi Antenna Build

Phones
    OptimusV-2.2.2
    LG Optimus V
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Another idea might be (I don't know if you can do this), buy a regular sim card for tmobile and use it as a normal prepaid (their 10c a minute plan), and use it on a smartphone. Might be able to use it for calls and use wifi for data.

Phone
    lg optimus,motorola i425,samsung r211
    Carrier
    boost mobile,cricket paygo,virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (lg optimus v,huawei m835: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.5.27452/27.1169; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

go to best buy and buy a metro pcs huawei m835 for $40.i did it and use grooveip and gvoice for calls and works good.i was surprised how good angry birds and other games run on it.i rooted it in 3 minutes flat with Gingerbreak 1.2.just make sure you root right away before you install any applications.i keep the phone in airplane mode to save battery
    Last edited by phonemagician; 02-12-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemagician View Post
    Wirelessly posted (lg optimus v,huawei m835: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.5.27452/27.1169; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

go to best buy and buy a metro pcs huawei m835 for $40.i did it and use grooveip and gvoice for calls and works good.i was surprised how good angry birds and other games run on it.i rooted it in 3 minutes flat with Gingerbreak 1.2.just make sure you root right away before you install any applications.i keep the phone in airplane mode to save battery
    2.8 inches... Too small for my taste. And the screen is undersized too.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

Phone
    lg optimus,motorola i425,samsung r211
    Carrier
    boost mobile,cricket paygo,virgin mobile
    Feedback Score

i use the m835 for grooveip only. it works perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast