Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID RAZR HD XT926 "Vanquish" Pre-Release Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fone sex View Post
    Just heard a rumor that the Vanquish could possibly be sporting an intel chip. No way yo verify as of yet. But again, what Ii heard was the Vanquish MIGHT have an intel chip......
    So the first Intel device from Moto will be a VZW device? Something about that seems kinda silly when Intels pretty mature reference design is still missing LTE and such. It's probably not a BAD idea to be working an Intel device, but not sure it's really smart to go all buck wild with resources on the first Intel phone. Seems to be something they should just stick with something somewhat close to the reference design on and not spend lots of resources on so much as create the relationship with Intel in case they do eventually really start to challenge ARM in the phone space so you have an early foot in the door before EVERYONE NEEDs an Intel device.

Been very curious to see how Intels partners played this as I am not really expecting the Intel devices to really be any better than Krait and A15 devices, if they can even keep up with those while keeping power down. Intel has been at 32nm and working 22nm, but this process advantage is the only way I figure they will be able to really have an advantage while pushing x86 into Mobile. If their process advantage erodes much at all I think they have trouble against ARM even if they are savvy design wise on mobile chips.

And this ignores all the software development related issues that will show up with all native developed apps such as 3D games. only software advantage I see is in a possible Windows 8 device that is a phone and computer and the works and can even run traditional Windows apps. Think you would want next years dual core midfield for that though.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    So the first Intel device from Moto will be a VZW device? Something about that seems kinda silly when Intels pretty mature reference design is still missing LTE and such. It's probably not a BAD idea to be working an Intel device, but not sure it's really smart to go all buck wild with resources on the first Intel phone. Seems to be something they should just stick with something somewhat close to the reference design on and not spend lots of resources on so much as create the relationship with Intel in case they do eventually really start to challenge ARM in the phone space so you have an early foot in the door before EVERYONE NEEDs an Intel device.

Been very curious to see how Intels partners played this as I am not really expecting the Intel devices to really be any better than Krait and A15 devices, if they can even keep up with those while keeping power down. Intel has been at 32nm and working 22nm, but this process advantage is the only way I figure they will be able to really have an advantage while pushing x86 into Mobile. If their process advantage erodes much at all I think they have trouble against ARM even if they are savvy design wise on mobile chips.

And this ignores all the software development related issues that will show up with all native developed apps such as 3D games. only software advantage I see is in a possible Windows 8 device that is a phone and computer and the works and can even run traditional Windows apps. Think you would want next years dual core midfield for that though.
    Like I said, just something I heard as a possibility, but haven't been able to confirm.

Feedback Score
    Like I said, just something I heard as a possibility, but haven't been able to confirm.
    Well it's pretty much public they are working on a medfield phone. Whether it's called Vanquish or on VZW is not. Who knows code name but that is mostly is irrelevant, it being a VZW device could be likely though even if not a great plan since VZW more or less owns Moto at this point with Moto basically being a nameless OEM for them and having very limited business elsewhere. It just seems so sad their international business and even domestic had died to the degree it has. Sinking lots of money into an intel device this early just doesn't seem like a great plan. I kinda shook my head as they proudly pranced out with them as an early adopter. Hopefully they are getting some awesome deal to be the first big name phone OEM to be a guinea pig.

The first x86 phones might be a bigger deal than I am anticipating, only time will tell. Not the bold move I would put lots of resources behind right now though.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sanjay Jha made a similarly bold decision when he decided to go with the first OMAP/Qualcomm hybrid device being pushed by the Skunkworks dev team, which was the A4500 Napoleon(Q9N WM6.1) that never was released to the public, but which morphed into the Sholes/Droid after the move to drop Windows Mobile and go exclusively Android.
    All that happened during a much more precipitously dangerous, uncertain and desperate point in Motorola's history than the present.

To be honest, I am fairly ambivalent about the Intel chips myself, but I am open minded.
    Just pointing out that you or others may have been as skeptical about such a dramatic departure at that critical juncture as well.
    Perhaps not, but I am very optimistic about the Google takeover and think the changeover in management and Sanjay Jha's exit were inevitable given his background and extreme emphasis on security in pursuing the enterprise market.

I also think he did a lot of things right, despite the extraordinarily poor performance of the past 6-12 months.

I am a very ardent and committed Motorola advocate, but try very hard not to be a fanboy and have been very frustrated and disenchanted with Motorola of late, as have many others for myriad reasons. I think this can only bring good things, whether or not we get unlocked bootloaders and all the other extravagant goodies that are hoped for.
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    Sanjay Jha made a similarly bold decision when he decided to go with the first OMAP/Qualcomm hybrid device being pushed by the Skunkworks dev team, which was the A4500 Napoleon(Q9N WM6.1) that never was released to the public, but which morphed into the Sholes/Droid after the move to drop Windows Mobile and go exclusively Android.
    All that happened during a much more precipitously dangerous, uncertain and desperate point in Motorola's history than the present.

To be honest, I am fairly ambivalent about the Intel chips myself, but I am open minded.
    Just pointing out that you or others may have been as skeptical about such a dramatic departure at that critical juncture as well.
    Perhaps not, but I am very optimistic about the Google takeover and think the changeover in management and Sanjay Jha's exit were inevitable given his background and extreme emphasis on security in pursuing the enterprise market.

I also think he did a lot of things right, despite the extraordinarily poor performance of the past 6-12 months.

I am a very ardent and committed Motorola advocate, but try very hard not to be a fanboy and have been very frustrated and disenchanted with Motorola of late, as have many others for myriad reasons. I think this can only bring good things, whether or not we get unlocked bootloaders and all the other extravagant goodies that are hoped for.
    I'm pretty much with you on this stuff. I was actually a pretty big fan of Sanjay Jha by how he handled things when he entered. And something about how he handled things gave me the feeling he was going to bring them some real focus, but it never seemed to materialize in the way I thought it would based on the move to Android only and what seemed like a focused smartphone approach. I read how he found lots of teams all working on random stuff and got them all working together more toward common goals and figured that would mean a more streamlined and focused product offering eventually.

Seemingly though the products just started showing up all over the place only slightly related to others. The Atrix and never launched version of the Bionic are what really had me scratching my head. After the mostly metal OG Droid and very solid but more plastic DX then moving to those all plastic seemingly cheap devices I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I heard the one nice aspect in the qHD screen was also not as it seemed and I started losing confidence the focus I thought they might find would ever happen. Then Bionic was delayed forever and followed by RAZR, which is a nice device material wise, but compromised in lots of ways just to brag about RAZR thinness. It all just seems too much like traditional Motorola success/failure waves even though they got new blood on top to finally get them into the smartphone market after missing it almost all together after the first RAZR was taken out by iPhone. It's almost astounding how many former RAZR owners I know that went straight to the iPhone from that device.

I have hope Google will help them out also, but Andy's insistence they aren't going to do anything to help them doesn't give me a whole bunch of hope for the sorts of things I would LIKE to see happen.

Feedback Score
    You won't be able to confirm, it doesn't have Intel Inside.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Susurro View Post
    Thanks brotha!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Susurro View Post
    That wouldn't really fit with the DX/DX2 successor meme this thread was started with anyhow.

Will this be a device that does anything to moderate a lot of the recent criticism around here from people like me of Moto's devices since the OG D and DX(screen, battery, focus on thinness, and such)?

What is the time frame for a more unified branding for the devices along the lines of Samsung Galaxy and HTC One? Hopefully Moto takes a more focused approach than those lines and doesn't have a plethora of devices that ever expands carrying the name into every corner of the market. I still say a 3 to 4 device line with clear successors that never expand the line beyond about 4 devices would work best. HTC has a chance to stay in that realm with this first launch, but I get the impression there will be HTC One devices that muddy things up in no time. They already have 3 devices with not a lot of differentiation that could have been one or two easily and sold to just as many people.

Feedback Score
    Double post somehow??

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Gotta agree with Kellex on this supposed new device. Why was this not the MAXX and the OG RAZR just had to battery size options from day one?? Continually trumping just released devices a few months apart is not smart for marketing or cost reasons. First we had late Bionic quickly followed by RAZR and not long after that got the battery that should have been an option on Day one as the Maxx, and now we finally get the screen they all should have probably had on day one? Why not just skip most of those and then do this one later??

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/19...een-soft-keys/

Just remembered this Vanquish is supposed to be a Droid X variant also?? This all just seems so foolish. I thought Motorola was supposed to scale back device offerings?? Atleast do so within your VZW offering and focus some time on making versions for other networks.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Is the Vanquish and Droid Fighter the same, or two separate phones?
    There seems to be some confusion on that part.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Feedback Score
    With all the confusion with names, I saw this site in the droid-life comments about the Motorola fighter, had to get this out.

http://androidphonenamegenerator.com/

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_Ny View Post
    Maybe I'm confusing things but could it be the Motorola "Targa"?

Attachment 78538

EDIT: fail, that ended up being the Bionic, right?
    Yes, "It was."

Device(s)
    Eris
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    DL said they hear it's a 4.7".screen... I'm wondering if it's really the 4.65" from the nexus?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast