Thread: iPhone apps "Documents and Data"

Phone
    iPhone 5 (64 GB) White
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score

iPhone apps "Documents and Data"

Hi all,

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I was looking through the Settings>General>Usage screen where it shows how large in megabytes each app is and noticed something weird.

The app size is a certain number of megabytes and the "Documents and Data" size is much much larger. For example.... Instagram is a 14.8 megabyte file but yet it's taking up 95.0 MB of space. ???

Some other examples... Pimp my Screen...App size is 17.9 MB but it's taking up 105 MB...and the same for many apps. Is there a way to reclaim this space?

I'm using a 4S w/iOS 5.0.1 by the way.

Phone
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    delete and reinstall the app to free up this space
    "Documents and Data" is the data that the app stored on your phone... it might be some temporary files or real data...

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Yup, an extreme example is the "Al Gore - Our Choice" app. The app itself only takes 52 MB, but once it downloads the entire interactive book content, it claims over 1 GB on the device. That's why it's nice to have that sorted list under Settings > General > Usage > Storage, because sometimes it's not obvious how much space is taken up by which app, so this way it's easy to see where all the storage space went.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.