Thread: Motorola DROID 4 XT894 Release Thread

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II / Droid 3
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile / Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demarco5 View Post
    bought the phone this morning because i cant live without a keyboard
    only thing horrible on this phone is the screen, when you scroll the text/font becomes blurry and ugly
    for gmail app for instance a slow scroll and it looks like all the font is dripping wet, terrible
    U need to write a full review pronto,

Please let u sknow how the new layout of the KB feels in the hand.

Sent from my DROID3 global using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II / Droid 3
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile / Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    Keyboard is fantasic...it is finally what it should be. I can type very quickly without looking and make very few if any errors.
    The screen does look better than the D3 despite being the same size.

It will take me a couple days to make any real assessment but i am not disappointed...except in my ability to resist buying another phone!
    What kind of syms r supported this time? Any surprises?

Sent from my DROID3 global using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Droiiiiiid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Is there a way to disable the lock screen when using a pattern?

Feedback Score
    I picked up my Droid 4 this afternoon at the Verizon store, and here are my initial impressions:

• Keyboard: The keyboard is fantastic. This is the best smartphone keyboard ever. Period.
    • Performance: Blazingly fast. No lag whatsoever.
    • 4G LTE: Amazingly fast. Faster than WiFi. Web pages load as fast as on my PC with a wired cable modem.
    • Display: The display is . . . fine. Yes, it's pentile, and if you hate pentile, you probably won't like it. I can see some ghosting when flipping through the app drawer, but that's the only time it's obvious. As far as I'm concerned, it's not an issue, and it's probably a good thing if it helps battery life.
    • Speaker: Very good and very loud.
    • Size: Perfect. Any larger would be too large. Thickness is almost exactly the same as my Droid 2.
    • Battery Life: Don't know yet. Will know more after a couple days.
    • Summary: I love this phone!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    My guess is that Pentile LCD is WAY cheaper in achieving various performance objectives and pretty sure RGBG AMOLED is similar but more forced once you get to certain subpixel sizes and PPI's. Brightness/Power is the biggest performance parameter that can be increased with RGBW LCDs. You either need more battery or less brightness on a standard pixel LCD to match a Pentile LCD.
    I'm guessing the primary motivation for RGBW pentile is battery life, followed by outdoor readability. I haven't seen any reports that RGBW pentile displays are any cheaper to produce than RGB stripe displays.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    Keyboard is fantasic...it is finally what it should be. I can type very quickly without looking and make very few if any errors.
    The screen does look better than the D3 despite being the same size.

It will take me a couple days to make any real assessment but i am not disappointed...except in my ability to resist buying another phone!
    How is the display better? Can't fathom how one Pentile LCD would be better than another in any obvious way. Engadget and Droid-Life both claimed it's just as bad also so no consistent take it seems. Not to mention Engadget claimed it was bad outside even which is usually a strong point for pentile LCD. This seems to suggest if anything is different they tweaked brightness setup so it's not as bright on average and apparently has lower max brightness. This would make sense also as the Bionic's display was FAR less egregious when dimmed. This was another huge reason I ditched the Bionic. It was so ANNOYING that once you got that awesome brightness the bad aspects of pentile LCD got so horridly bad. The problem is it was still bad dim and dimming it would ruin the only quality advantage Pentile LCD has in the first place by being so bright and vibrant compared to other LCDs just to get a bit extra out of these now permanently installed batteries.

It really seems like a comedy of stupid design choices in a device that still didn't ended up GOOD mostly ONLY because it has an AWESOME keyboard is dual core and LTE. It really seems silly this the ONLY such device we have to choose from. The fact this device exists at all is the ONLY reason I have any faith in Moto at all. They need too go WAY farther with the Droid 5 though and they need to make ALL permanent battery device something more similar to RAZR Maxx going forward. Even Google won't be able to save them if they keep doing devices like this and the RAZR that are so AWESOME in some respects(one because it exists with finally GREAT qwerty and both but more so RAZR because it uses unique materials and build) but so horridly flawed in so many other respects. The Droid 4 is the better overall device though it seems and that's ONLY because it am a sucker for a physical qwerty. Not sucker enough to give up my GNex though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninEdge View Post
    I picked up my Droid 4 this afternoon at the Verizon store, and here are my initial impressions:

• Keyboard: The keyboard is fantastic. This is the best smartphone keyboard ever. Period.
    Have you used any of the Nokia Communicator's?? Particularly the Nokia 9500? I am doubting it bests that QWERTY, but does look close. Mostly not sure about key count.
    Last edited by jasaero; 02-10-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Feedback Score
    I'm guessing the primary motivation for RGBW pentile is battery life, followed by outdoor readability. I haven't seen any reports that RGBW pentile displays are any cheaper to produce than RGB stripe displays.
    Why would they admit that as a reason to use them?? Yeah, we didn't want to reduce our margins to get you a better display.......sooooo....!!! Not gonna happen. EXTREMELY confident they are cheaper than a very high grade RGB IPS with similar brightness, contrast, good efficiency(maybe not equal at same brightness, but close), and same size/dpi. And obviously cheaper than AMOLED as no one, including me, has a big problem with the overall quality of the RAZR displays and AMOLED is less battery hungry by nature of it's technology rather than brightness/power of back lighting. An LED backlit high grade IPS or similar LCD is probably the most expensive though since you can't even probably get Samsung's most current AMOLED tech since it's volume is probably reserved for Samsung phones. Well maybe you could for some ridiculous cost no competitor to Samsung would accept the cost of it I doubt.

A company like Motorola should be getting the best LED backlit IPS display they can in all their top end phones. This is obviously not a top end phone though so much as enterprise former BB toting intended device. They need to do a true top end media AND enterprise oriented QWERTY eventually. That would be a good time for 5" LED backlit HD IPS.

Feedback Score
    And I just found out Moto does some dumb partitioning scheme on these new devices. And they're locked up like Ft. Knox. I really hope Google shakes some of this dumb stuff up. I am sure they have some hair brain "secure" reasoning for it all, but it's not worth ruining something to this degree for "security". They seemingly just need to do enterprise and consumer devices from a boot loader and software load perspective. I can see enterprise liking some of this nonsense even if not really gaining as much as some of the brain scientist nazi security IT peeps will try to claim. Wow.

Sorry to those that don't like Moto bashing. I love Moto or I wouldn't be so worked up over this sorta thing.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 64GB, Microsoft Surface 3 LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    • Performance: Blazingly fast. No lag whatsoever.
    • 4G LTE: Amazingly fast. Faster than WiFi. Web pages load as fast as on my PC with a wired cable modem.
    • Display: The display is . . . fine. Yes, it's pentile, and if you hate pentile, you probably won't like it. I can see some ghosting when flipping through the app drawer, but that's the only time it's obvious. As far as I'm concerned, it's not an issue, and it's probably a good thing if it helps battery life.
    • Speaker: Very good and very loud.
    • Size: Perfect. Any larger would be too large. Thickness is almost exactly the same as my Droid 2.
    • Battery Life: Don't know yet. Will know more after a couple days.
    • Summary: I love this phone!
    I did not buy this one yet, but a buddy of mine did. He came over and I checked it out. This list pretty much sums up my impressions of it based on a limited amount of playing with it. I'm waiting for his impressions on longevity of the battery (my primary concern). The second most apparent concern is the screen. It really does have a blurry effect that shows up whenever anything is scrolling or smooth motion like a movie. The effect looks a bit like old LCD TVs of yesteryear that had low pixel refresh rates. Poeple usually called it ghosting. While it's somewhat annoying, I think I could live with it as long as the battery life is good and the radio is solid. My Samsung Strat had a much sexier display (the AMOLED was beautiful) but it seemed to die way too fast and charged slow as mollasses. Not to mention something really buggy with the radio/connectivity firmware which kept dropping the connection for seemlingly no reason at all. Heck, that could have been why it kept chewing the battery to pieces.. *shrugs*

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Feedback Score
    I'm waiting to see what the battery life is like too. I checked it out in the store today and was comparing the screen to the Razr right next to it. I guess maybe I wouldnt have noticed it if it was by itself, but just holding it so the lights reflected off of it at different angles, it seemed I could see the Razr nice and bright at any angle with the lights shining off but the D4 didn't look that great with light shining off of it. I'd like to hear from whoever has one and has it outside. I'll have to go back and play with it a couple more times before I decide. I really like the size of this though, its not too big like some of them.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Display: The display is . . . fine. Yes, it's pentile, and if you hate pentile, you probably won't like it. I can see some ghosting when flipping through the app drawer, but that's the only time it's obvious. As far as I'm concerned, it's not an issue, and it's probably a good thing if it helps battery life. ...

Summary: I love this phone!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    I did not buy this one yet... The second most apparent concern is the screen. It really does have a blurry effect that shows up whenever anything is scrolling or smooth motion like a movie. The effect looks a bit like old LCD TVs of yesteryear that had low pixel refresh rates. Poeple usually called it ghosting. While it's somewhat annoying, I think I could live with it...

--Kidd
    You're OK with committing to two years of "ghosting" and "blurry" Vcast and web videos? I think you might be in a minority there.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 02-11-2012 at 01:53 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    @ jasaero
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    And I just found out Moto does some dumb partitioning scheme on these new devices. And they're locked up like Ft. Knox. I really hope Google shakes some of this dumb stuff up. I am sure they have some hair brain "secure" reasoning for it all, but it's not worth ruining something to this degree for "security". They seemingly just need to do enterprise and consumer devices from a boot loader and software load perspective. I can see enterprise liking some of this nonsense even if not really gaining as much as some of the brain scientist nazi security IT peeps will try to claim. Wow.

Sorry to those that don't like Moto bashing. I love Moto or I wouldn't be so worked up over this sorta thing.
    Source please?

( By DX w/HoFo app. )

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    You're OK with committing to two years of "ghosting" and "blurry" Vcast and web videos? I think you might be in a minority there.
    If I'm going to be doing any serious movie or TV watching, it's not going to be on a smartphone. It'll be sourced from Blu-Ray or 1080p TiVo Premiere XL recordings, and shown on my Dell Ultrasharp IPS monitor.

The D4's screen is fine for YouTube videos or movie trailers, which is mostly what I would be watching on my phone. It's not quite as sharp as RGB stripe, but it's not terrible.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    @ RoninEdge
    Quote Originally Posted by demarco5 View Post
    bought the phone this morning because i cant live without a keyboard
    only thing horrible on this phone is the screen, when you scroll the text/font becomes blurry and ugly
    for gmail app for instance a slow scroll and it looks like all the font is dripping wet, terrible
    Actually, "terrible" is the word used in the post above, alongside "horrible". Opinions differ, of course.

Mine is that I don't like "ghost" stories in any medium. And I know that "blurry" is not the same as "Blue-ray".

I suspect most people are like me in prefering ALL their videos as crisp and clear as possible -- including the HD ones they record on the phone itself.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 02-11-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast