Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID 4 XT894 Release Thread

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jm667 View Post
    ... I really like the size of this though, its not too big like some of them.

OK. If size means overall cubic volume taken as LxWxH, the D4 is larger than the RAZR MAXX, the Galaxy Nexus, and the Droid 3. It is, by that measure 2/3 bigger than the RAZR, and a third bigger than the GNex. It's even 6% bigger than the D3 despite having the same display and a plastic bag for a battery.

The D4 is 0.06" or about 1/16" less wide than the RAZR and essentially the same width as the GNex. It is much thicker and heavier than either of them. Now, it is 0.15" or a tad over 1/8" shorter than the RAZR and a full 1/3" shorter than the GNex.

Is phone height more a problem to you than thickness or weight -- or by "some of them" did you mean the Samsung Galaxy Note and LG Optimus Vu?

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 02-11-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Feedback Score
    Funny you mention the dimensions because I was just looking them up and noticed the Razr is 1/16th inch wider than the D4 and can't understand why it felt so much bigger to me. Maybe because the D4 is thicker it makes the rest of it seem not as wide. This is driving me crazy, I'm never going to decide on one. It was an easier decision when I bought my house than it is picking out a stupid phone!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    @ jasaero

Source please?

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/10/m...-only-reports/

8gb is all you have left of 16gb for media no matter how full the 3gb and 5gb app and os partitions might be. I wouldn't find this silly, but there are so many apps that grow huge today 3gb seems silly and will require to do app moving. Many apps cache old stuffs after downloaded now and data can grow pretty big on them.

Feedback Score

You're OK with committing to two years of "ghosting" and "blurry" Vcast and web videos? I think you might be in a minority there.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    It's the ONLY choice and it does have good internals for the price and best keyboard for any price in awhile. Most needing Keyboard will sacrifice for this. I won't and expect Moto to do MUCH MUCH better before I am willing to be their customer again. I will just suffer without KB and fringe reception in the meantime which are the only things I really miss on my GNex.

Feedback Score

Problem with Corporate Sync

So I caved and bought the phone late yesterday. I LOVE the keyboard and the speed, but I can't get my corporate email account set up. When you go to add a corporate sync account it only has a prompt for email address and password -- there are no other options or advanced menu choices that I can find. When I try to proceed it just says it has an error connecting to the server and when I click OK it takes me back to the same login screen. Very frustrating. I just got off the phone with my Microsoft Exchange administrator at work and we couldn't get it to work. He's placing a call into Microsoft.

The phone has Gingerbread 2.3.6. Anyone heard anything about this being a problem?

This is a serious bummer.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, it has been rooted already by djrbliss, so development can get started in earnest as soon as we have a full xml.zip firmware file available. I expect that will surface quickly from recent experience with Razr and Bionic files.

I am very much enjoying the phone though still getting it all setup to my tastes.

I dont use exchange so I cant help with that issue, sorry.

Everything seems very smooth in general but there are some quirks.

I work all weekend so I wont have time to really explore everything till Sunday night.
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geekmomof3 View Post
    So I caved and bought the phone late yesterday. I LOVE the keyboard and the speed, but I can't get my corporate email account set up. When you go to add a corporate sync account it only has a prompt for email address and password -- there are no other options or advanced menu choices that I can find. When I try to proceed it just says it has an error connecting to the server and when I click OK it takes me back to the same login screen. Very frustrating. I just got off the phone with my Microsoft Exchange administrator at work and we couldn't get it to work. He's placing a call into Microsoft.

The phone has Gingerbread 2.3.6. Anyone heard anything about this being a problem?

This is a serious bummer.

OK... we found that this is a known issue and there is a workaround for it here https://forums.motorola.com/posts/aaf09055da

For some reason, they changed the sequence for setting up a corporate email account such that you cannot enter the server domain before trying to access it! The poster on this other thread figured out that you can enter a "dummy" email to move past the first steps and then go back to correct the email and password.

I'm trying it now and hope this helps others!

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    Well, it has been rooted already by djrbliss, so development can get started in earnest as soon as we have a full xml.zip firmware file available. I expect that will surface quickly from recent experience with Razr and Bionic files.
    Permanent root? Which forum is the rooting info on, xda? And do you know if there is an .sbf recovery available yet? Or is that part of the XML.zip?

( By DX w/HoFo app. )

Feedback Score

I am very much enjoying the phone though still getting it all setup to my tastes.

I dont use exchange so I cant help with that issue, sorry.

Everything seems very smooth in general but there are some quirks.

I work all weekend so I wont have time to really explore everything till Sunday night.
    I could care less about root. Bootloader unlock in CRUCIAL if you don't want Blur and want a strait forward and stable alternate source built ROM load. Not to mention all the custom built kernels with various tweaks you are just SOL on ever trying. I am really LESS interested in Root than unlockable/relockable bootloader to load custom recovery/roms/kernels and the like.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Root is the critical first step to everything else. The bootloader is not going to be unlocked by anyone but Motorola, so the thrust of development is to circumvent that via 2nd init, bootstrapped recovery, kexec etc. All of these follow root and the ability to manipulate the firmware within the limitations of a locked bootloader.

Feedback Score
    Root is the critical first step to everything else. The bootloader is not going to be unlocked by anyone but Motorola, so the thrust of development is to circumvent that via 2nd init, bootstrapped recovery, kexec etc. All of these follow root and the ability to manipulate the firmware within the limitations of a locked bootloader.
    I know all of this. My criticism and disgust is with Motorola. All the extra development just to get ROM builds moving should be 100% unnecessary. This is now a 100% nonissue with HTC devices and Nexus so they can no longer blame it on VZW as they have been attempting to do with announcement international RAZR's would be unlockable. It's really all very unfortunate and really quite dishonest. VZW may be somewhat to blame, but if Google and HTC can official support unlocking there is ZERO reason Moto cannot. Just one of the many things Moto needs to change for me to return as a customer even though I still love many aspects of their devices.

Feedback Score
    A couple of nice small things to know about this phone....

It has an LED notification light in the upper left corner on the front of the phone.

You don't need the "special key" to open the back cover. One of motorola's own videos of the device shows and states that you can use the end of a paper clip to open it.

Feedback Score
    I went and checked it out at the store. Pretty sure the display is just dimmer and that makes the RGBW look less horrible. qHD pentile even on RAZR in AMOLED RGBG form really is showing it's weaknesses for me with the GNex and coming from OG Droid. I immediately notice grainyness I couldn't deal with on a daily basis after the OG Droid and now Nexus. The keyboard is nice, but I don't think it's any better than my old Nokia 9300 much less the 9500 I wished I could afford at the time. This is beyond all doubt no more than $200 subsidized LTE phone and they were VERY smart make that the price from day one. I don't really see how it's head and shoulders above the Droid 3 at all. It really seems like D3 with LTE and weak point on the battery side since you can't carry multiple batteries and have LTE holding down your run times compared to D3.

Still the best option for LTE, DualCore, and QWERTY keyboard though being that it's the ONLY one and is an OK device. I can't call this a great device even for the price though cause of the battery and display issues. The fact is you can get a MUCH nicer and LARGER display on similar performing phone without keyboard even for the same price. Moto REALLY needs to address their displays and up these permanent batteries to ONLY the MAXX capacities or larger and just put normal batteries in devices that aren't going to go with 3000mah+. People shouldn't have to compromise their preference from the display quality point of view just to go with a Motorola and deal with a "Good Enough" display. This focus on giving customers things that were "Good Enough" is what killed GM and Ford for DECADES!! It's just not an American approach I like to see.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Turns out Galaxy Note has LTE, 2.5 amp real battery, SD card, 5.3" super Amoled @800x1280, no ICS yet or HDMI but it plays FLAC otb. Haven't found any bootloader info...

If there's support for a portable USB keyboard -- I might do it. Rather carry that around than a power-pack.

Rumors that vzw will pick it up.

You know, Moto won't lose huge numbers right away, but alienating or just disappointing tech types like us is costing them cachet points; the Moto 'rep' will begin to suffer. That costs real $ down the road and is very hard to recover once it passes a certain point. "GM & Ford" have yet to fully recover.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 02-12-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Feedback Score
    Turns out Galaxy Note has LTE, 2.5 amp real battery, SD card, 5.3" super Amoled @800x1280, no ICS yet or HDMI but it plays FLAC otb. Haven't found any bootloader info...

If there's support for a portable USB keyboard -- I might do it. Rather carry that around than a power-pack.

Rumors that vzw will pick it up.

You know, Moto won't lose huge numbers right away, but alienating or just disappointing tech types like us is costing them cachet points; the Moto 'rep' will begin to suffer. That costs real $ down the road and is very hard to recover once it passes a certain point. "GM & Ford" have yet to fully recover.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    They have never really even been a serious challenge to Samsung anytime recent like and Samsung now almost matches Apple worldwide. Things like the Note I think are part of the reason. They are willing to test the market with new types of device, but outside of that they seemingly also understand how people like REALLY high grade displays that some of the best available and make sure any premium device have as high a grade display as is possible. They tried Pentile got hated on for it and then ditched it ASAP until they could get to a PPI pentile looks reasonable. Ditching displays many are hating has been CRITICAL to Samsung's current success. That is EASILY the MOST important component of a new smartphone. Size and quality is VERY critical. This is the EXACT component that was OBVIOUSLY ignored on the D4. Not really a good sign when generational changes don't include BIG display upgrade of some sort. Particularly when you did a HUGE downgrade a year earlier to MANY eyes. They needed a display EVERYONE sees as an upgrade to OG Droid YESTERDAY.

A 5" QWERTY with extreme specs and display and EVEN BETTER QWERTY by a good bit than D4 would give me a tiny bit of extra faith in Moto as it would be thinking outside the box in a good way rather than with odd permanent battery tech and thinness at the cost of overall device and bezel/display size. The materials usage has been the ONLY unique thinking I have found as something other than detrimental to sales with Moto's latest device plans. The MAXX as a reasonably thin 3000mah+ device with permanent battery is also OK, but was very bad marketing to hit after most other RAZR interested customers had got the Original one. All that did is sour RAZR buyer on Motorola's sales tactics and make them leary of buying their new devices. All the D4 proves to me is that Moto sees QWERTY's as no more important than the rest of the market in that it is nothing ground breaking like the first Droid was at the time. The device I keep describing would be ground breaking even if not in the hugely successful sales way the OG Droid was. But really I think such a device done RIGHT would be new ground in sales successes for the company. I suppose latest trends don't give me lots of confidence they would do enough correctly with such a device. It would be awesome in various ways and then a total turn off in others.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast