Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID 4 XT894 Release Thread

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about anyone else, but I would appreciate the opportunity for those of us who have this phone to discuss it in this thread without the constant drone bemoaning what it might, could or should have been.

It is, in fact, an excellent device with some compromises that have been thoroughly dissected ad nauseum at this point.

If you don't care about development for this device because it doesn't meet your standards, then please don't burden those of us who are interested in it with endless diatribes.

I am reall trying to be polite and am only requesting like consideration.

Thanks!
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    +1 - thank you for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I would appreciate the opportunity for those of us who have this phone to discuss it in this thread without the constant drone bemoaning what it might, could or should have been.

It is, in fact, an excellent device with some compromises that have been thoroughly dissected ad nauseum at this point.

If you don't care about development for this device because it doesn't meet your standards, then please don't burden those of us who are interested in it with endless diatribes.

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Disregard - double.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Thanks!
    Sounds fair. So long as the pendulum doesn't swing swing so far it becomes a paeon of perfection. Realistic discussion is always a good thing -- as is the D4. It's still possible I might own one someday.

For example, if someone wants to wax ecstatic about plastic bag batteries, it would be good to drop in a fact or two in support of your opinion.

As for "endless diatribes" I try, for the most part, to keep mine to one screen on my DX -- not counting quotes, of course.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )

Feedback Score

Thanks!
    That's fine. My commentary is directed at Motorola more than anyone. I would have liked to own another one of their devices again, but the devices released in the timeframe I wanted to replace my OG Droid after two years have left me REALLY wanting compared to other options available. Something like the ReZound really shouldn't seem SOO tempting over something like the RAZR or D4. The Moto devices obviously had higher aspirations than something like ReZound, but small things related to these compromises on the Moto's leave WAY TOO many picking other brands. It was these same sort of thing that left Ford, GM, and Chrysler continually loosing share even after they started to learned what needed to be done to retain share. And Moto has been doing this same sort of stuff for the almost 20 years now where they get a win with a product and then can't build bigger successes after it to really dominate. There's zero reason the OG Droid should have been their first ever successful smartphone.

I'm done now. I just find it very sad such extreme compromises are seen as NECESSARY, particularly what has happened with the RAZR for thinness and the D4 to hit some lower end LTE price points.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There are many valid criticisms to me made and discussion of those is entirely appropriate, even in exacting and excruciating detail.

Continually pursuing your outrage and dissapointment with the choices made that lead up to it's release, however, are not.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 64GB, Microsoft Surface 3 LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I think that's mostly fair, but only to the extent that the moderators are in agreement. Most of the time when people open new threads to discuss the merits of a device, they tell people that it's not appropriate and should be kept in the existing thread and it gets locked. If they aren't allowed to discuss the pros and cons of the design elsewhere then it amounts to censorship, which I don't agree with.

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Feedback Score
    Any one else noticed that the D4 does not have the "with google" branding?

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_Ny View Post
    Regarding a possible upcoming extended battery. If you look at the back of the D4, on the right side of the battery, you can see 4 pins. Is it possible that they are related to this?

About replacing a non-replaceable battery phone, I saw earlier that someone at xda managed to replace the original razr's battery with the razr's maxx one.
    Don't hold me to this, but I seem to recall, early in the thread, someone suggest that those four pins were for an inductive charging plate, pickups maybe...

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 02-12-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II / Droid 3
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile / Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_Ny View Post
    Any one else noticed that the D4 does not have the "with google" branding?
    Good for them, its kind of unsightly and usually misplaced anyway. I don't see the point since by now pretty much every1 knows that the SW stack comes from GOOG.

Sent from my DROID3 global using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    One question that may seem ridiculous, but . . . how does the Droid 4 compare to the Stratosphere? I know that the Stratosphere is not as good in many respects, ie, the camera isn't good, etc. But it does have a decent keyboard, the display is good, it is LTE, and it is cheap. Just wondering if anyone has checked it out and what they think. I tried it for a week or two, and it wasn't bad, although I knew from the start that what I really wanted was the Droid 4----it just wasn't available yet. I haven't yet gotten to the store to check out the Droid 4, which I am planning to get ASAP, as I really need a keyboard. Just wondering, since there is much disappointment with the Droid 4.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    The D4 has its issues, but compared to the Stratosphere it's out of this world.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II / Droid 3
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile / Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    The D4 has its issues, but compared to the Stratosphere it's out of this world.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Yeah, d3 was a significant upgrade from a stratasphere. Although the captive glide might give d4 a run for its money.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
    Yeah, d3 was a significant upgrade from a stratasphere. Although the captive glide might give d4 a run for its money.

Yeah. The Captivate Glide is nice. I have one running on Red Pocket right now. The battery life is also surprisingly good.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    There are many valid criticisms to me made and discussion of those is entirely appropriate, even in exacting and excruciating detail.

Continually pursuing your outrage and dissapointment with the choices made that lead up to it's release, however, are not.
    My biggest valid criticism, which is the Pentile LCD screen and now also it's small size have been discussed ad nauseum, even in separate threads on the Pentile LCD and they are STILL releasing devices with them knowing people like me will NEVER buy devices with such screens at such qHD resolutions.

My only reason for posting here is in case people within Motorola who can make something different and better might understand some of us want A LOT more of a QWERTY slider. I doubt most who have written off this device or the RAZR as I have are even remaining hopeful Moto might eventually come through for those like us and are not even going to bother to publicize their criticism so much as speak with their wallets only as I have also done.

I am really not sure what the difference in your two points above are really though in the end. Aren't valid criticisms also the result of choices made that lead up to the release most of the time? What I find very disconcerting is how few are willing to speak up and REALLY defend these choices I go on about. Most of you I think want more just like me and are just willing to "settle" with what has been offered to a larger extent than I because of fringe reception, love for Moto, or call quality or something that is probably a bit better on a Moto device. You should be demanding more of the next devices you might be offered also, even though you have "settled" this time around. Moto LOST money last year once again. We have no clue what will happen to them under Google if they continue to do that. Google won't keep sinking money into a patent portfolio that loses them money unrelated to patent defense cases if they have been honest about the fact all they see them as really is a patent portfolio to defend android.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast