Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID 4 XT894 Release Thread

Carrier
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
    That would b gr8 news if the d4 maxx comes to fruition.

I hope that this doesn't mean some bulky device that hardly fits into a small pants pckt, but something that is a reasonable compromise of battery and portability. Something around 2200 - 2500 mah shpuld b plenty 4 vast maj of users put there.

Sent from my DROID3 global using Tapatalk
    The D4 is already an un-"reasonable" brick. Yes, the D4G MAXX will be a "bulky device that hardly fits into a small pants pocket." And that amp +/- you want to "compromise" away won't make a hill of beans worth of difference in size or weight but it will severely "compromise" the utility of the device.

The whole point of the MAXX concept is to have *more* than enough battery to power the phone even for the 'power' user. If it doesn't have *more* than 3 amps -- deal killer, again.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    The D4 is already an un-"reasonable" brick. Yes, the D4G MAXX will be a "bulky device that hardly fits into a small pants pocket." And that amp +/- you want to "compromise" away won't make a hill of beans worth of difference in size or weight but it will severely "compromise" the utility of the device.

The whole point of the MAXX concept is to have *more* than enough battery to power the phone even for the 'power' user. If it doesn't have *more* than 3 amps -- deal killer, again.
    I have to say, I think TC and I are on the same wavelength on this one. The Droid 4 itself is a pretty slim device. The only way to get a significantly useful amount of "MAXX" battery life given current battery technology is to nearly double the capacity which means it will definitely grow thicker. If you want something to fit in your skinny jeans, buy the current Droid 4. Users who want the utility of the larger battery life will be more than willing to compromise on it's thin-ness. Smartphone pros are the sorts that put the size well behind the utility - the sort of people who had no problem with something as bulky as the old HTC Tytn for example. I can't see a D4 MAXX being any bigger than that one.

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1
    Watch me on YouTube: AlexKidd4Fun

Phone
    Galaxy Note II / Droid 3
    Carrier
    t-mobile / Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    I agree 2 some deg, althpug it seems that there must b a limit on what people r willing 2 tolerate I. Tems of the sixe and weight that they need to carry. That's why most people don't go with a galaxy no5e, even thoug its by far the best slate phone for what it does, and that's why the D3 is slimmer than any other slider b4 it, as to not get left 2 far behind the other phones in terms of size and weight, everythg needs some sort of balance and moderation.

Carrier
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
    I agree 2 some deg, althpug it seems that there must b a limit on what people r willing 2 tolerate I. Tems of the sixe and weight that they need to carry. That's why most people don't go with a galaxy no5e, even thoug its by far the best slate phone for what it does, and that's why the D3 is slimmer than any other slider b4 it, as to not get left 2 far behind the other phones in terms of size and weight, everythg needs some sort of balance and moderation.

Makes sense. I'm all for moderation. But. When aesthetic balance displaces function and utility to the extent that it compromises purpose itself, then you gotta cry foul.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )

Carrier
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    OK. Over two weeks of dead air.
    Time to try this again:

*** D4 RELEASE THREAD SUMMARY ***

(Very UN-official.)

Looks like this thread is going inactive.
    So, for searchers, my personal summary:

D4 pros & cons -->

PROS:
    LTE 4G plus...
    Possibly best tactile keyboard ever
    Dual-core with good speed
    Full gig of RAM
    SD card support
    HDMI
    8mp camera w/1080p video
    Moisture resistant
    Gorilla glass
    LED notification
    Speaker is loud
    Moto build & reception
    Docks available
    ICS update likely
    Global update possible
    Rooted
    Best in its class atm
    Cheap.

CONS:
    *Poorly thought-out KB layout
    Old tech [SGNote-DC@1.4;LGVu-1.5]
    Partitioned IM - only 50% available
    Not global & no ICS at release
    Encrypted bootloader
    Iffy battery life ('Results may vary.')
    No battery pull resets
    Phone is trash if battery wears out
    Battery has safety issues
    Std USB chargers don't work well
    Display mediocre at best
    Display ghosting & hatching
    Brickish by current fashion
    Only show in town

*As to KB layout, here is an extended discussion:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sho...d.php?t=193699

There is a detailed, long-winded, even tedious technical discussion of the D4 display. Some thought it was OK. Others did not, for reasons found here:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/26...at-its-finest/

REVIEW LINKS:
    http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/17...on/#more-61296

.http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-4-review

This post sums up my opinion only.
    I did not buy this phone.
    I may get the rumored D4G MAXX
    with a better display. [See Mar 3 above.]
    IF that happens.

Now, if somebody again buries this summary in a series of overlong, verbose post exchanges I'll definitely have to wonder about ulterior motives.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How over long and verbose do they need to be ?

Spoken from my motorola byronic practicing with google voice.

Carrier
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Scan above for this same D4 thread summary twice & what follows it.
    Your brief comment 6 weeks later is fine: 'Third time's a charm.'

Btw, it is entertaining to follow your progress in byronic oratory. I prefer to 'let my fingers do the talking' but I can see that, for many, GV could be more natural.

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Friends romans countrymen, lend me your byonics. I will stick it in my ear

Spoken from my motorola byonics using google voice I'm making a big mistake

Feedback Score
    OK, since the thread got bumped: does anyone have sales figures for the D4? And more importantly, does anyone know how the sales figures are being interpreted? i.e. "it's not selling, so we won't make anymore QWERTY sliders." or "it's selling great, so we'll make several more QWERTY sliders." or "it's not selling, but we realize that's because a lot of power users who prefer QWERTY sliders don't want to lock themselves into a 2-year contract with a device that was held back six months so when it finally was released, the screen (and CPU) were no longer top of the line."

Thanks - Mark

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=BitMaestro;14802950]OK, since the thread got bumped: does anyone have sales figures for the D4?

I'd like to know where anyone would get that. I use the relative number of reviews on Verizon, phonearena popularity, amazon, etc. Ideas?

Carrier
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    I'd like to know where anyone would get that. I use the relative number of reviews on Verizon, phonearena popularity, amazon, etc. Ideas?
    Everybody go to their local store and tally the number of sales reps that never heard of a "Droid 4".

More seriously, I think I caught the last few seconds of a D4 TV ad a coupla days ago. Anybody seen such?

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Feedback Score
    I don't know where they got it, but "insiders" have posted similar info for other phones in the past.

Phone
    Galaxy Note II / Droid 3
    Carrier
    t-mobile / Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BitMaestro View Post
    I don't know where they got it, but "insiders" have posted similar info for other phones in the past.
    While not knowing any hard #s, id venture 2 guess that the sales figures is prob going 2 b pretty good int erms of a mid 2 high range phone release, although it will fall short of the success of d3 and the like, since ther has been relative short time since d3 2 d4 release, and that the d4 is not a dramatic improvement of the prev version, svae the netork speeds.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Phones
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Moto X XT1053 T-Mobile Moto X XT1060 DE VZW
    Motorola Razr M XT907 DE
    Carriers
    Verizon
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well...the 4.0.4 ICS build that leaked yesterday for D4 is nothing short of spectacular...completely transforms the phone and improves it in every way!

I am still looking for a downside other than the fact that it is not revert able to the stock 219 build yet.

Simply fantastic...really!
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Carrier
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm. Three months and still no D4 stock sbf leak? And the latest /last DX OTA bricks the phone if you try to sbf...
    Is this a pattern? And a portent of things to come?

Has anyone had the "Emergency Alert" app install itself on their D4? I'm wondering if it has the PLAN chip or not.

[From DX by HoFo app.]

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast