Thread: What are the best smartphones for ATT's GoPhone service at a good price?

Feedback Score

What are the best smartphones for ATT's GoPhone service at a good price?

I'm just trying to gather some opinions from people that know more about phones than I do. I'd say my price range is less than $400 new or less than $350 used.

I've been looking at a Dell Streak 5, and I've read some people say they've been able to activate it as a gophone.

I also like the look of the Samsung Nexus S.

I don't know if these can be activated on the GoPhone network or not.

I've seen the Samsung Captivate online cheaper than it is at ATT.com

I like the look of the Motorola Atrix/ Samsung Infuse/ LG Thrill.

I've also looked at the cheapest iPhone 3g that Gamestop sells refurbished for like $140, but I've read you can't use an iphone as a gophone.

What I really want is a nice looking phone without the monthly $50 plus contract. Right now, I use a Virgin Mobile phone that still has a pull out antenna on it. I swear I get weird looks when I have it out.

Thanks for all of your time and help!

Daniel W.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Atrix is nice and can be gotten for far less than your $400....you could also get an iPhone 4 easily for that. Phones are so capable nowadays that almost anything you get in that price range is going to be a decent device for regular use.

What you don't want, however, is GoPhone Service. It cost $25 for a measly 500mb of data on top of whatever voice + text plan you go with. Straight Talk and Net 10 are selling SIM cards that will provide you with AT&T service unlimited talk, text, and a decent amount of web for $45 monthly and no-contract. I would recommend you head over to those forums and learn more.

Carriers
    Big Red (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone 3gs on Go Phone service. Here's how I did it:

1. Purchase or acquire an iPhone. Any one will do.
    2. Go to Amazon or eBay and purchase a REGULAR AT&T sim card
    3. Go to the GoPhone activation page and where it says to enter your IMEI, just enter the letter A and 15-zero's as the IMEI. Everything else should be common sense. DO NOT ENTER YOUR iPHONE IMEI.
    4. buy minutes and purchase a data package. the $50 unlimited talk/text/data plan will work except for the data, and the $5 data plan will go QUICK! At least get $15. I got the $25 plan with 500mb of data. It should be plenty.
    5. install the APN changer and set it to Go Phone settings (under AT&T where the isp is Cingular)
    6. Enjoy.

(Works fine with me, but there are cheaper plans with AT&T MVNO's like Red Pocket and H20.)

VZW 4g LTE. Super fast. It's way faster than my wifi.

Carriers
    Big Red (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    sorry for the double post, but 500MB should be plenty if you have wifi connections like I do and only use your 3g data on the road and don't stream video or music.

Feedback Score
    When I go on Straight Talk and Net 10's website and enter my area code, it removes all android based devices from their selection. Does that matter?

Feedback Score
    I like the looks of Red Pocket and H20, but I think for what I want, it may be cheaper to go with the gophone if I can get the $15 data plan with the pay per minute plan and maybe buy the 200 texts for $5. I believe I could get away with less than $40 a month. Most of my phone calls are short and to the point. When at home, I plan on downloading a wifi calling app and I guess have 2 phone numbers. If im in a wifi area, I will call out from that. If I'm on the road, I would call out and use the 10c per minute.

I just dont feel like I need unlimited minutes and text at the present time. And from the looks of it, both Red Pocket and H20 are all about unlimited talk and text and the data rates are comparable to ATT

I wish I could get the 3gb of data for 30 though. Anyone know if its possible to get a gophone phone plan and a regular data plan?

My big hang up is I'm afraid I will buy a phone and get told "no you cant use that as a gophone". From the looks of some of these other services, you can use any phone with the right sim card. Is the ATT service the same. I try talking to the ATT support chat, but they pretty much tell me that I can't used any phone other than what is listed in their gophone selection and they are unsure if I buy one that has been unlocked, if I can still use it.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielW4444 View Post
    When I go on Straight Talk and Net 10's website and enter my area code, it removes all android based devices from their selection. Does that matter?
    That doesn't matter, those Androids use Sprint native coverage which is horrible anyway and probably not available in your area. If you were to go with ST, you would buy your own GSM device from where ever you want, then just buy the SIM from ST.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I wish I could get the 3gb of data for 30 though. Anyone know if its possible to get a gophone phone plan and a regular data plan?
    No, you can't. You can however buy post-paid AT&T service month to month without a contract if you bring your own device. Just be very careful to make sure they don't try to put you in a contract anyway.

My big hang up is I'm afraid I will buy a phone and get told "no you cant use that as a gophone". From the looks of some of these other services, you can use any phone with the right sim card. Is the ATT service the same. I try talking to the ATT support chat, but they pretty much tell me that I can't used any phone other than what is listed in their gophone selection and they are unsure if I buy one that has been unlocked, if I can still use it.
    Regardless of what someone tries to tell you (especially the stooges at the AT&T store) you can use any AT&T branded phone you want as a Go Phone. First get your device from where ever. Second go to eBay or Amazon and buy the SIM card, they are like $5. Lastly, go to the go phone activation page and activate your device. If you are using an iPhone you may have to enter all zeros as the IMEI, it will take. https://www.wireless.att.com/GoPhone...=activatePayGo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    That doesn't matter, those Androids use Sprint native coverage which is horrible anyway and probably not available in your area. If you were to go with ST, you would buy your own GSM device from where ever you want, then just buy the SIM from ST.
    So I guess if I bought an ATT phone, I would get the ATT simcard from them. This would put me on ATT's network, correct?

How does the data work on StraightTalk phones? Would I still need to buy an additional data plan for an android?

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yep, that is how it works. With StraightTalk there is no data plans, it is just one size fits all at $45 a month. It is generally accepted that they allow you somewhere around 2 gigs of data usage a month, if you use more than that then they will start calling/harassing you and eventually shut your data off if you don't slow down the usage.

Phones
    Nokia 6300
    RAZR v3
    Nokia 7210/
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried the A000000000000000 method lately for an iPhone and if so what's your result?

I am travelling to the US in June and need to know...thx.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Got a iPhone 4 on the $25 dollar plan. Works flawlessly

Phones
    Nokia 6300
    RAZR v3
    Nokia 7210/
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eliechart View Post
    Got a iPhone 4 on the $25 dollar plan. Works flawlessly
    hey thanks for letting Us know.

Is it a 4 or 4s?
    If 4s, which city are you in - is it a "4G" city or 3G?
    How much of a data plan did you purchase on the $25 plan?

I heard 4s's on the HSPA+ 4G network are problematic lately.

Thx.