Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have anyone used a Unlocked Motorola Atrix 2 on ST or NET10's Unlimited SIM Card?

Phones
    Unlocked Motorola Atrix 2
    Motorola Droid 3
    Carriers
    Plage Plus Wireless
    Feedback Score

Question Have anyone used a Unlocked Motorola Atrix 2 on ST or NET10's Unlimited SIM Card?

Have anyone used a Unlocked Motorola Atrix 2 on Straight Talk or NET10's Unlimited SIM Card Service they just released? Does the built in apps along with the 3rd party apps (Pandora, YouTube, Facebook app etc) ?

I was looking to unlock my Atrix 2 for $24.99 but if it won't work properly, It really isn't worth it to me..

Does anyone here have their SIM card in a Unlocked GSM phone, does it work in both AT&T and T-Mobile Coverage areas?
    Or how do I tell which coverage I will receive?

T-Mobile doesn't seem to cut you off after a certain amount of Data (Just slow your speed down) where as AT&T charges you extra on a Contract or probably shuts you off when you use a 3rd party SIM Card on their Towers..

I never thought they would offer this as they seemed to be going to Sprint recently for Android phones... But, I really enjoy and love my Atrix 2 ... Any info or if you have tried any of their SIM cards in a Atrix 2, I'd really appreciate the help! I am trying to decide between NET10 / Straight Talk or T-Mobile straight up monthly prepaid...

Otherwise, I will being going with a local GSM company that provides Unlimited Service in 10 counties here in my part of Pennsylvania, if I leave the 10 counties I receive free roaming off of T-Mobile anyhow...

What would be the best choice for me using a Unlocked Motorola Atrix 2 from AT&T ?

(The local GSM company Immix Wireless former Keystone Wireless is supposed to have a all 4G Network by near the beginning or the middle of the summer of this year 2012)...
    At least that's what their Rep told me on the phone..

(I looked on Immix's web site and all I could find is that they are gonna use HSPA+ and they already have EDGE and 3G and use the same frequencies as AT&T does that I could find)..

But they are gonna use HSPA+ where as when I use my AT&T GoPhone SIM Card in my Moto Atrix 2 it says only HSPA not HSPA+ .... As far as frequencies and MHz, I am not sure which ones they will be using..

Is there a difference between HSPA & HSPA+ or does it really mean the same thing (as far as frequencies & MHz go?)

MSN me brambo15_2008@hotmail.com yahoo brambo15_2008 or please reply here, I really wanna find out all I can before I pay to unlock the phone... Thank You !!

Feedback Score
    The Atrix2 only supports ATT HSPA bands so unlocking it and using it on tmobile means you will only get EDGE speeds.

I have a LOCKED Atrix2 that I have used on AirVoice (an ATT MVNO like ST). It works fine and I have had no problems with it. You do not have to unlock an ATT phone when you are using an ATT MVNO.

Getting a ATT compatible sim from ST will allow you to use your Atrix2 at full HSPA speeds and not worry about having it unlocked.

The Atrix2 always shows HSPA even if you are in an HSPA+ area.

Phones
    Motorola Droid 3
    Carriers
    Plage Plus Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I also have a choice of a company called Immix Wireless which uses HSPA+, would I receive 3G and 4G with them? (I am told they use all the same frequencies as AT&T does for 3G and 4G)...
    www.immix.com

Also the Straight Talk and Net10 GSM Sim Cards seem to cut you off after too much data usage, (and I am a pretty heavy mobile internet user) Where as Immix Wireless told me they have totally unlimited data (like T-Mobile offers)...

If you were in my situation and wanted to go with a local GSM carrier rather then net10 or straight talk, what would you do?

Immix has told me their 4G Network when it is up and running will use HSPA+ if I remember exactly...(Just when I leave the 10 counties in which they have towers in (where I live) I would roam off of T-Mobile GSM unless I get a contract plan with them in which would let me roam off of AT&T first then T-Mobile if AT&T doesn't have coverage, when I leave the area)

Wouldn't the Atrix 2 pick up their 4G network? It has the same frequencies as Immix Wireless uses from what I read from Motorola...

But I am guessing T-Mobile uses a slightly different Network for their 4G network then AT&T or this local GSM company (Immix) ?

I have a TracFone which has a GSM SIM Card in it.. It is the exact same looking SIM card in it that a GSM Straight Talk Samsung T401G I used to have, had in it...

Wouldn't that SIM Card work in my Atrix 2, if it's true that you can really use a Straight Talk or NET10 GSM SIM Card in the AT&T Atrix 2 without having to unlock it? (Only For Talking & Possibly Texting Of Course I know)...

Thanks
    ***ANDROID 4 LIFE***

Phones
    Motorola Droid 3
    Carriers
    Plage Plus Wireless
    Feedback Score
    EDIT: I inserted a T-Mobile SIM Card into the AT&T Motorola Atrix 2 and it asked for the Network Unlock PIN... I put the TracFone SIM into it and it booted up like normal, Never asked for a SIM Unlock PIN, just never received any signal bars, and when I tried to dial anything, it said "Emergency Calls Only" (it did not mention anything like No SIM Inserted or Enter SIM Unlock Code with the TracFone SIM Card Inserted...

So I think what you mentioned about the Straight Talk & NET10 SIM Card dubba is most likely true...

But what you are saying is I would never get anything except EDGE on T-Mobile if I unlock it... Then do you know what type of Data speeds I can except with a Straight Talk or NET10 Unlimited SIM Card in it?

Phones
    Motorola Droid 3
    Carriers
    Plage Plus Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Taken From T-Mobile's Web Site

T-Mobile’s HSPA+ 4G network not available everywhere. See coverage details. Monthly4G plans provide access to wireless service; capable device required for 4G speeds

Found Here:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/p...Activation-Kit

So why wouldn't I get 3G and 4G speeds? My brother had a Unlocked AT&T Samsung Infuse on T-Mobile and he got H+ and 4G in certain areas... I suppose the AT&T Motorola Atrix 2 should do the same in certain upgraded T-Mobile Service Areas?

If anyone knows, please let me know... Thank you

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1) An AT&T phone doesn't work on the frequencies that TMobile uses for high speed, so you won't get TMobile high speed on an AT&T phone, locked or unlocked. (Unlocking doesn't add another radio to the phone, it just lets the phone accept SIMs from other carriers.)

2) Net10 and ST offer unlimited browsing, not unlimited data. Just try to download 2GB/month by just browsing. If Immix offers true unlimited data I'd go with them, but if the phone is an AT&T phone you're probably going to get EDGE speed (very slow) for data downloads - assuming you get the phone unlocked. A phone locked to AT&T won't take a TMobile SIM, and a phone with an AT&T SIM won't work on TMobile.

I'd say that your best bet is probably an AT&T (or mixed AT&T/TMobile) MVNO, unless you need large amounts of data at high speed when you have no wifi access - and you're willing to get a TMobile phone (and Immix is really unlimited data).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by braambo View Post
    So why wouldn't I get 3G and 4G speeds? My brother had a Unlocked AT&T Samsung Infuse on T-Mobile and he got H+ and 4G in certain areas... I suppose the AT&T Motorola Atrix 2 should do the same in certain upgraded T-Mobile Service Areas?

If anyone knows, please let me know... Thank you
    Tmobile HSPA network works on the 1700 mhz AWS band
    ATT HSPA network works on both the 850 and 1900 mhz bands

Almost all ATT phones (I can't think of any ATT phones that do but just in case I will say "almost all") do not support the AWS band.

On the other hand, some Tmobile phones (such as the HTC Amaze) support both Tmobile's and ATT's HSPA bands.

Both the Atrix2 and Infuse support the 850, 1900, 2100 MHz bands according to PhoneArena.com (2100 is used in Europe among other places). They both do not support the 1700 AWS band. So they should not work with Tmobile's HSPA network.

Now having said that, there is a wrinkle here that might explain the Infuse showing H+/4G in certain areas. In some areas it has been recently reported that Tmobile has started to supplement its HSPA network by using the 1900 band. Now this is only in limited areas and not nationwide. It is not know if this is a permanent thing Tmobile is doing or not.

Phones
    Motorola Droid 3
    Carriers
    Plage Plus Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am pretty sure Immix does provide Truly Unlimited Data (And that is what I am after)...

As dubba has said, there is only certain areas where T-Mobile used the 1900 MHz Band for HSPA...

That said, I believe when I spoke with Immix (I will have to confirm once again on Monday) They told me that they are gonna use the same 4G band/MHz as AT&T (As they already launched 3G)..

I am thinking my best bet would be to try to trade my Atrix 2 even up for a equal T-Mobile Android (This is what my Brother ended up doing, he is now able to receive all of T-Mobile's Data Speeds and even use his phone as a Wireless Hotspot whenever he likes on EDGE, 3G or 4G... All For $50 a month for 100MB Full Speed Data or $60 a month for 2GB of Full Speed Data, I think this is the way I may go, unless I decide to return to Sprint because they have their 4G WiMAXX Network Setup not too far from here, and I do not have to worry about how much Data I use, and their 4G was pretty fast, maybe not as fast as others but plenty fast for me, I reached around 1,000 KB/s download speeds when I had them before, using my HTC EVO Shift as a Wireless Hotpsot)...

W2PMX, if you could possibly explain what you mean by ST & NET10 offering only unlimited browsing and not data? Does that mean built in apps and 3rd party apps (Pandora, YouTube, Facebook app etc would not work?)..

I just found out one important piece of information a few hours ago that may be why my brother's Samsung Infuse received T-Mobile's H+ High Speed Data... (The Infuse is a Quad Band phone according to some web sites and the AT&T Web Site, while the Atrix 2 is only a Tri-Band Phone)...
    I think this is the reason why I would only get EDGE Data, Unless Immix really is gonna use the same frequencies as AT&T does, then I will probably go with them....

But then there is a problem with that, Immix Wireless only services 10 counties in my state of Pennsylvania, and I live on the farthest East County on their map, and travel outside their tower's range every so often, and the plan I would get would allow me full access to Immix Towers...

But I would Roam off of T-Mobile Towers ONLY when leaving these 10 Counties in PA...So again, I will be stuck with EDGE unless I am in Immix Coverage..

I am not sure as I am very tired and ready to go to bed, but did somebody in my thread here mention if I insert a Net10 or ST GSM SIM Card into my phone (I would have a Data limit) but would I possibly access 4G data?

Because if the ST or NET10 SIM provides me AT&T Coverage (In my town where I live, there is 4G HSPA for AT&T and 4G on Verizon as well (Though Verizon wouldn't do anything for me on GSM)...

I am just hesitated on buying a SIM Card for NET10 for $15 then $50 for the plan or $45 for ST's Plan and come to find out it doesn't do any better then a T-Mobile or Immix Chip would do...

I AM a very Heavy Mobile Data User, but I could surely (tame it down quite a bit I think) if I could receive 3G or even 4G Data, and use Wi-Fi whenever possible...

Thank you everyone who replied on my Thread, and if there is anything else you think may help, PLEASE don't hesitate to post it here... I will check the Thread again later today... Thank u very much....

P.S. If I get a Net10 or Straight Talk GSM SIM and Unlimited Plan after I Unlocked my Atrix 2, how do I know which Network the SIM card will be using? Does it go by which Provider has the Best Coverage in your Area and Faster Data in your town/city, and/or area?
    Because if so, I think it would be AT&T as they provide 4G where T-Mobile only has EDGE in the town where I live...

But how could I find out? I tried e-mailing both NET10 & ST with no straight forward answers and even contacted them both on Facebook... (This is a big factor to me to whether not I pick Immix or ST/NET10)...

Again, Thank you all who have helped me thus far, and I hope you will be able to read my response and give me some more input if possible.. :-) Sorry if there is any Typos as I am ready to head to Sleep...lol... ;-)

Um, P.S...Again..... If I chose a ST or NET10 GSM SIM Card (Which I believe it doesn't matter which both are same except $5 difference in price), I believe Someone Mentioned I would NOT have to Unlock my Atrix 2 ?....
    If someone can provide me info on this, it would be Greatly Helpful! :-) And Save me the Time to Unlock it and the $25 Dollars to do so..
    Last edited by braambo; 02-12-2012 at 03:48 AM. Reason: More Info, More To Type... More Questions Popped Up In My Brain...lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dubba View Post
    Getting a ATT compatible sim from ST will allow you to use your Atrix2 at full HSPA speeds and not worry about having it unlocked.
    When you buy a sim from ST you tell them which phone you have (ATT or Tmobile) and based on that you receive a sim that works with that carrier's locked phones. So if you have an Atrix2 you buy an ATT compatible sim from ST. If you have a Tmobile myTouch then you buy a Tmobile compatible sim from ST. Then either way (whether you have an ATT sim+phone or Tmobile sim+phone) you will be running at full 4G speeds while paying ST $45/month for unlimited everything (though data seems to be capped @ 2GB).

So...

Option 1: Keep the locked Atrix2, buy an ATT compatible sim from ST, put that sim into the Atrix2, and enjoy being on ATT's network and towers while paying $45 to ST for unlimited everything.

Option 2: Sell the Atrix2, buy any Tmobile phone you like, buy a Tmobile activation kit (which includes the sim), and enjoy being on Tmobile's network and towers while paying Tmobile either $30, $50, $60 or $70 depending on which prepaid plan you choose.

Option 3: Sell the Atrix2, buy an expensive phone like the HTC Amaze or International Galaxy Nexus (each one works on BOTH ATT and Tmobile bands), buy a Immix sim, and enjoy being on Immix's network and towers (no matter if they use ATT or Tmobile because you have a phone that works with both networks).

In all 3 cases you will be running at full 3G/4G speeds (as you can see, to run at full speed you must match the network & sim to a compatible phone).

Can't make it any easier than that...

Phones
    Motorola Droid 3
    Carriers
    Plage Plus Wireless
    Feedback Score
    @Dubba: Thank you for the Info... 2GB Should be quite enough for me, since I have 4G AT&T Service right in my house where I live...

That is normally what you get on a AT&T Contract for $25 extra on top of your plan...

Does NET10 & Straight Talk work the same way, I just tell them if I have a locked AT&T or T-Mobile device?

Reason I ask is Because it seems NET10 refill or top up cards (which ever they call them) are more available around where I live at convenience stores (Turkey Hill) and Dollar General, Dollar Tree etc..(Places I often visit and shop) (Pretty much all over)... Where as Straight Talk you gotta use a Credit or Debit Card or find and go into a Wal-Mart Store to get a refill card...
    (Call me old fashioned in this manner but if I can buy a refill card in a store rather then expose my Bank information to a company, I will)...

Thank you for the 3 options, I am definitely gonna be choosing one of them, when I do, I will update this Thread again with which one I got, and let you know how it worked out...

Only last question I have now, if you know, is do they both work the same (ST&NET10), as far as I just tell them which Network my phone is locked on...

Cause as far as I Noticed on www.net10sim.com and www.straighttalksim.com you just get a SIM Card and Purchase it, unless I am missing something...

Thank you again Dubba... Have a Good Morning.

P.S. When I had Straight Talk before a long while ago, I have a phone that used the Verizon Network and Towers, but it was just a very very basic LG Slider Phone, and if I dialed 411 only, it went thru to *Free Ad Supported 411 DA*..

But if I dialed *411 (star then 411 and send) it went directly thru to Verizon Wireless 411 Search where a actually operator comes on the line to assist you...

When you use a AT&T SIM Card, I heard it's 555 1234 or 555 0000 or something for actually AT&T Directory Assistance, does it still work like that? Just curious if you knew anything about that... (Sorry a little off topic maybe, but I am Curious George so to speak! lol) :-)

I know there used to be a way, and last I know the real Verizon DA (with a real live operator) by dialing *411 on certain ST CDMA phones still worked and was free..

Phones
    Motorola Droid 3
    Carriers
    Plage Plus Wireless
    Feedback Score
    @W2PMX & DUBBA:

W2PMX Mentioned This:

Net10 and ST offer unlimited browsing, not unlimited data. Just try to download 2GB/month by just browsing.

Can anyone explain what this person really means by this?

I hope it does not mean that *only* the web browser will work with a 2GB Data Cap for the Month...lol

P.S. Sorry for all the questions and replies...You just seem so much more knowledgeable then me Dubba, and I Thank you for your time & help!

Phones
    Motorola Droid 3
    Carriers
    Plage Plus Wireless
    Feedback Score

St vs net10

If I choose Net10 over Straight Talk, does it still work all the same, and I receive Unlimited Talk, Text, MMS, 411, and the same 2GB of Data each Month? Again, Very Sorry for Flooding the Thread...Last Question... I Swear !!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by braambo View Post
    If I choose Net10 over Straight Talk, does it still work all the same, and I receive Unlimited Talk, Text, MMS, 411, and the same 2GB of Data each Month? Again, Very Sorry for Flooding the Thread...Last Question... I Swear !!!
    There is no difference between ST and net10. They are owned by the same parent company and offer the same unlimited services (@ $45 and $50 respectively). What I posted earlier about buying a sim and ATT phones that work with ST applies to both net10 and ST. But just like you observed net10 is available in far more retail outlets while ST is only available at Walmart and their own site.

I do not know exactly how 411 works on net10/ST so I can't answer that question.

As far as the "unlimited browsing not unlimited data" comment, I'd have to disagree with my fellow forum poster as both ST and net10 do say "unlimited data" on their sites (ex. net10sim.com). But they both have terms of service agreements that limits how the data can be used (no tethering, running a server, P2P downloads, etc). You will be fine as long as you do not abuse their network. Using apps on the phone, browsing or even watching a video is no problem. Below is a quote from their FAQs:

Can I download music, photos and videos to my phone?
    Yes, depending on the specific capabilities of your device. All services may not work with every device.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Since the SIMS are identical (and thus the service identical)you need to look closely at the one thing that may differ, the Unlimited plan, and see if there is any differences that make one preferable to the other, including how/where they can be purchased. Find and read the specifics for each plan.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dubba View Post
    As far as the "unlimited browsing not unlimited data" comment, I'd have to disagree with my fellow forum poster as both ST and net10 do say "unlimited data" on their sites
    I'm just quoting from the box my phone came in - "The Unlimited Plan gives you Unlimited talk, text and mobile WEB access (certain limitations apply to data access) and Unlimited calls to 411" (Emphasis on "web" mine.)

I understand that you can watch a movie from a web browser, so streaming (downloading - uploading is forbidden elsewhere) is technically allowed, and the 2GB/month limit isn't stated plainly enough for any law in New York, at least, to consider it part of any contract. The whole thing is known legally as "word of art" - it means what they say it means, unless it's specifically spelled out, or you take them to court and the judge disagrees with their interpretation. (The agreement you agree to by opening the box makes it a violation to download an app to an Android phone - that's "altering the software", and it's expressly prohibited - so not everything they say is what they mean, or even makes sense.)

Bottom line - don't try to buy too many phones and don't download too much data and they won't bother you. And if they allow 4 purchases/year, and they keep the "free phone and 3 months unlimited for $99" deals coming, we get "unlimited" service for $33/month - which isn't too bad. As long as you're never sentenced to have to call customer "service". (I think you have to commit at least a B felony to be punished that much.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast