Thread: Smartphone for WiFi only

Feedback Score

Smartphone for WiFi only

I figure that I can eliminate my $30/mo Virgin PayLo by buying a T-Mobile Android phone and using GrooveIP/GoogleVoice or Skype to make free calls using WiFi only. I have WiFi access at home and work, and I don't talk while driving.
    I would use an app to keep the phone from going into sleep mode, so I could get incoming calls at all times, although I understand that this requires frequent battery recharging.

In a rare emergencies, I could use the Pay By Minute plan.

Are there any obstacles to buying an Optimus without a data plan?

Is this a reasonable idea for someone who only wants a phone without all the social media bells & whistles?
    Would it require rooting? How and why?

Phones
    Nexus One
    Motorola L7e
    HTC Dream
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gplantam View Post
    I would use an app to keep the phone from going into sleep mode, so I could get incoming calls at all times, although I understand that this requires frequent battery recharging.
    You don't need an app to keep the phone from going to sleep mode. just use it as normal. Groove IP and Talkatone both work fine during sleep mode.

Are there any obstacles to buying an Optimus without a data plan?
    Nope. You can buy any GSM android phone but if it's not t-mobile branded, you'll have to unlock or get an unlocked phone to use it with t-mobiles plan.

Is this a reasonable idea for someone who only wants a phone without all the social media bells & whistles?
    Without? You can do anything anyone else can except freely use the cell network for calls and data. Smartphone on wifi with no cell plan at all is what I have my brother who's still in highschool on. No monthly fee, all the features of a regular cell plan, just without the range :P

Oh and to answer your question, rooting has nothing to do with any of this :P It's just nice to have

Phones
    Optimus T
    Optimus T
    G1
    Carrier
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I did it for a year with no problems.

The phone may want to do google account setup immediately; I skipped that, set up wifi, then came back and set up google info.
    Inspire 4G: CM7 official, 16gb sdhc. TMO PAYG (no data)
    My android page

Feedback Score
    Okay, so here's my plan. What do you think?

Buy the Optimus refurb from T-Mobile online. $129
    Activate (free?) Get $10 credit with current promotion
    Test out WiFi, GrooveIP, apps, GPS
    Buy $15/mo (no data). Gently get used to using phone in WiFi spots only.
    After a week or so, ask TMobile to unlock SIM.
    Buy 2nd month of $15/mo (get another $10 credit with current promo)
    Stop buying minutes in 3rd mo. Continue using WiFi phone only for free!
    Hang onto credits for future emergency use.
    Cancel Virgin Mobile.

Best case scenario: Optimus pays for self in 5 mos in savings.
    Worst case scenario: Return/resell Optimus, stick with Virgin. I'm out $144.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at this offer, but just found that it expired years ago! T-Mobile, why does the page still exist?
    http://www.t-mobile.com/promotions/p...ro_Prepaid30LP

Phones
    Nokia 3595
    SE T610
    QCP-860
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    ATTWS
    Feedback Score
    Optimus T and Comet are the two phones that get discounted a lot. If you wait a month or two. You will find them (refurbished) below $100.

Samsung Dart has also been going for $99.99 at Amazon. But some how it just went up in price today. But I am sure the price will come back down.

The Optimus T can certainly be used without a Sim. Hence you don't even need to unlock it if you don't care about making phone calls using cellular network. Not sure about the other phones.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Alcatel One Touch Fierce :: Nokia Lumia 710 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Alcaltel OneTouch Fierce ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    No SIM needed to use the Comet either.

Quote Originally Posted by below20 View Post
    The Optimus T can certainly be used without a Sim. Hence you don't even need to unlock it if you don't care about making phone calls using cellular network. Not sure about the other phones.
    Very Happy With T~Mobile and Lycamobile

Carrier
    Tmobile Pay As You Go
    Feedback Score
    Okay, so here's my plan. What do you think?

Buy $15/mo (no data). Gently get used to using phone in WiFi spots only.
    After a week or so, ask TMobile to unlock SIM.
    Buy 2nd month of $15/mo (get another $10 credit with current promo)
    Stop buying minutes in 3rd mo. Continue using WiFi phone only for free!
    Hang onto credits for future emergency use.
    Why do you have to buy the 15/mo? Are you talking about the text plan?
    For 10 you could just load the $10 credit and use as pay as you go.

You don't have to stop buying minutes but every $10 load will expire in 90 days

BTW,

I have using a smartphone without a data plan (pay as you go with no data and wifi only).
    There has been couple of times where I really needed data and just switched to the $2 or
    $3 daily plan as needed.

Phones
    Samsung Dart
    Nokia 2720
    v635 - the best
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop-Chop View Post
    Why do you have to buy the 15/mo? Are you talking about the text plan?
    For 10 you could just load the $10 credit and use as pay as you go.

You don't have to stop buying minutes but every $10 load will expire in 90 days

BTW,

I have using a smartphone without a data plan (pay as you go with no data and wifi only).
    There has been couple of times where I really needed data and just switched to the $2 or
    $3 daily plan as needed.
    this is what I'm planning to do.

sticking with pay2go and use wi-fi to go online.

Just bought an Alcatel ot-890. since t-mobile won't give better data options like AT&T and i'm not switching, my only option is to get a phone that has wi-fi. the alcatel was the best value for price under $100 from my research. the ot-990 is real nice also, i probably should have gotten that instead.

this is the first I've heard using a phone just for a wifi. I would assume most phones if not all can do this. I'm sure I've watched phone reviews with no sim card and the user connected to wifi just to show how it works

Feedback Score
    Well, since the promo I was looking at is way expired, I don't need to be an "active customer" (which presumably means buying minutes each month) to qualify...
    but AFAIK I need to be an active customer for about 3 months before TMobile will give me a free unlock code for the phone. I'd want it unlocked to give me more options (or resale value). Is it better to have TMobile give you the unlock code or to buy an unlock code through eBay?

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I have 4 Androids and they can all do this.
    One of them is a Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept and not in service with Virgin Mobile but the web and all the nice Android things work perfectly.

The HTC G1 without a SIM works great on Wifi.
    The Comet works great on WiFi without a SIM.
    The Motorola Cliq works great without a SIM but I currently have one of my active accounts SIM card in it because this is one of my everyday carry phones.
    The Samsung Intercept works perfectly on WiFi without service.

I have a Virgin Mobile Blackberry 8530 that is without service and it works most of the time on WiFi but is a little temperamental about what sites I can go to, maybe I just need to tinker around with the settings a bit more.

I have an HTC Dash which works great on WiFi without a SIM card in it.
    It works great with open WiFi, I have a bit of a problem with getting it to work with secured WiFi.
    But that might just be that I have not put in a lot of time getting it to work.
    I have Opera Mini installed and can go pretty much anywhere with it.

All of them with the exception of the Blackberry let me use Google Voice to send text messages.
    I have not gotten the Google Voice app from the Market.
    I just bookmarked Google Voice and use it that way.

I am trying to find the best way to call and receive calls over WiFi from any app on my Androids.

From what I have been reading there are pluses and minuses with most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by big_sensation View Post
    this is the first I've heard using a phone just for a wifi. I would assume most phones if not all can do this. I'm sure I've watched phone reviews with no sim card and the user connected to wifi just to show how it works

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Depends on if you want the unlock code right away and want to pay someone for a code or are willing to wait and get it free from T Mobile.

Up to you really.

Well, since the promo I was looking at is way expired, I don't need to be an "active customer" (which presumably means buying minutes each month) to qualify...
    but AFAIK I need to be an active customer for about 3 months before TMobile will give me a free unlock code for the phone. I'd want it unlocked to give me more options (or resale value). Is it better to have TMobile give you the unlock code or to buy an unlock code through eBay?