Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: MVNO FreedomPop to Launch Free Mobile Broadband Service

Device(s)
    Motorola i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Feedback Score
    I ordered one earlier this year but I lost the email with my order confirmation. Anyone know the url to contact them?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000 Pro, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone Pro, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know whether the iPod Touch sleeve will add a GPS signal? Without that, you lose lots of smartphone functionality.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schafx View Post
    Does anyone know whether the iPod Touch sleeve will add a GPS signal? Without that, you lose lots of smartphone functionality.
    There is a new version now with 4G LTE & WiMAX and 3G built in. http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...s-one-(video)!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...to-ipod-touch/ No mention of GPS.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Don't know what it is but there is a standard that both the MIFI and the 2nd device must both have in order to get aGPS. But if the Touch has mapps Garmin has an excellent GPS only device coming out. I plan on getting one because it is far superior to the GPS chips in phones. It works using BT.

I'm not familiar with Apple products enough to give any good answers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    3rd FreedomPop device has been announced on their Facebook page as a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=toBjMrpS8KA

Not positive but it looks like a Clear Stick Atlas USB device to me. It will support Mac as well as PC. Hopefully it will work in a mifi adapter like my Cradlepoint PHS-300 router (my AT&T Force or Momentum modems will but not my NetZero modem...that needs to be plugged directly into my Mac due to special firmware on the USB stick).

Sounds like they are getting very close to launch...says on their Facebook page they will send out devices in September after their service goes live.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Good stuff! I want a mifi when they come out, but that stick may just be a home run when paired with one of those new (not yet sold) Microsoft $200.00 surafces!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm waiting for the tri mode devices...
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Likewise. The tri-mode devices are supposed to be released before the end of the year. I'm leaning either towards a mifi device or a USB device (but only if it can be used with my Cradlepoint router).

Have Clear indirectly through NetZero on the 200 mb free plan but the coverage area is rather limited compared to other network providers (AT&T has better coverage where I need it on a 5 gb LTE plan). Tri-mode would be much better because this would give Sprint 3G and LTE backup.

Wonder how the PRL will work on the tri-mode devices. Will it be Clear, then Sprint LTE, then Sprint 3G, then Sprint 1xrtt or a different order?

According to the FreedomPop facebook page, after you use up the monthly free allotment (500 mb base plus possibility for bonus data that must be used in the month it is earned) they will automatically charge the payment card on file for a paid data block. But you can set up a data usage alert (text message, etc.) to tell you if you are running out of freebie data.

Let's hope they are a financial success. I've occasionally had wireless lemons like the ill-fated Slingshot prepaid broadband, the Peek data device that they shut down service on, and a collection of dead international callback sim cards. I think this might work because the teaser amount each month is within reason, the additional data charge of $10/gb is competitive and you don't have to buy a big block of 5 gb or larger once you exceed the freebie amount.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Great concept. I'd be interested in seeing what they might offer as a paid unlimited data "premium" plan -- if it wasn't subject to throttling.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ken just out of curiosity, how does the Cradlepoint router fit into your plans? I'm not familiar with them, but I'm OK with Google searches, so I can look what they do up.

I have ATT data and Verizon data already, but Samsung is coming out with a 5.8in player with Android, the market, and a standalone GPS chip that may make a Garmin better than a Garmin!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Ken just out of curiosity, how does the Cradlepoint router fit into your plans? I'm not familiar with them, but I'm OK with Google searches, so I can look what they do up.

I have ATT data and Verizon data already, but Samsung is coming out with a 5.8in player with Android, the market, and a standalone GPS chip that may make a Garmin better than a Garmin!
    The Cradlepoint wifi router is a model PHS-300 that can take many USB modems. It's about the size of a deck of playing cards. Runs off a swappable battery pack or an ac adapter and does wifi b or g (but not n). Basically converts a USB key into a mifi device by plugging it in and flicking on a switch.

Good enough to run certain wifi devices I have that need this.

For instance:
    Sony Mylo (skype, music, mini web browser...only use occasionally these days).
    A CVS/Craig junky android tablet that I got for $58 after discounts.
    My Blu dual sim phone (the sim chips I have don't have cheap data, but my AT&T Momentum LTE modem does)
    Updates to my fathers desktop PC using a usb wifi key (he only has dial-up...fine for text email but not for giant software and security updates).
    Kindle 3G for updates that have to be done via wifi instead of cellular.

Note I said the router can take many modems...but not all. It won't work with my NetZero/Clear stick due to proprietary firmware on the stick. Good question is whether the new FreedomPop USB stick will also have problems.

Also be aware of security issues...personal mifi devices are not welcome everywhere. And this particular router is out of production so you may want to consider a more recent device unless you can find new old stock through a hofo dealer or ebay.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    FreedomPOP apparently had a serious funding issue with the Kickstarter company they were using and now is only taking pre-orders directly:

From a Sept 12th posting on FreedomPOP's Facebook page:
    "First of all, we want to thank you for helping FreedomPop with your Kickstarter funding.
    We apologize for being unable to communicate with you since Kickstarter suspended our project. Unfortunately, we've been blocked, without notice or comment by Kickstarter from all communication with our supporters.
    Since our project was suspended and our team was provided no guidance from Kickstarter as t
    o timing for re-enabling our project, we made the decision to cancel our project on Kickstarter and migrate our supporters to FreedomPop site for pre-order. We've already taken thousands of pre-orders via our website, ensuring launch of both our innovative devices and FREE wireless internet service.
    If you've already funded our Kickstarter project and want to guarantee your priority position for shipment, please pre-order your preferred Sleeve at FreedomPop.com and use your same First Name and Last Name as your Kickstarter account. All funding for our Kickstarter project has been canceled and you will only be charged by pre-ordering at FreedomPop.
    iPod Touch Sleeve - http://www.freedompop.com/freedom-sleeve-ipod-touch
    iPhone Sleeve - http://www.freedompop.com/preorder.htm
    We apologize for this inconvenience, however, Kickstarter left us no choice and we wanted to move as quickly as possible.
    If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].
    Once again, thank you for your support."

While I wish them well with their new venture, I think I'm going to be cautious and wait until they carry a Sprint/Clear hybrid mifi modem and also officially start service.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Interesting, did you know that Kickstarter recently changed their rules? Now you must have the hardware functional, not just an idea!

They are:

• Product simulations are prohibited. Projects cannot simulate events to demonstrate what a product might do in the future. Products can only be shown performing actions that they’re able to perform in their current state of development.
    • Product renderings are prohibited. Product images must be photos of the prototype as it currently exists.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kick...store?hackaday
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, that might explain why Kickstarter pulled the plug on financing. Hope the financing glitch won't delay their product launch too much...it was originally scheduled for September and the month is almost over.

Still think it's a good idea but they will have to compete with the existing NetZero 200 mb free plan and the upcoming Karma 100+Mb free plan. Big thing they have over both ventures though is an agreement both with Clear and Sprint.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast