Thread: MVNO FreedomPop to Launch Free Mobile Broadband Service

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

BAM, it's alive!

Details, must read!
    http://gigaom.com/mobile/freedompops-freemium-4g-data-service-goes-live/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+OmMalik+%28GigaOM%3A+Tech%29

FreedomPop has officially launched its long-awaited beta service, giving all comers a free 500 MB of 4G data each month. The mobile virtual network operator, which users Clearwire’s WiMAX network, will offer an array of prepaid plans for customers who want more data, but, as promised, it is supplying the means for customers to “earn” more megabytes through its unique social media strategy.
    FreedomPop is offering customers two modems: a mobile hotspot and USB dongle. Both devices are technically free though customers have to put down a $49-$89 deposit, but it’s fully refundable. The company will begin selling sleeve modems that fit over the iPod Touch and iPhone 4 and 4S in coming weeks.
    Apart from the Speed Plus plan, FreedomPop is selling two prepaid data plans both of which undercut the prices charged by the major operators. The first comes with 2 GB of data for $18 a month, while the second has 4 GB for $29 a month. Customers on those plans pay 1 cent for each megabyte of overage, while on the free and $3 plans customers pay 2 cents for each additional megabyte.
    Ah, multiple quotes, you get the point.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like a good deal, I was going to hold off until a tri-mode device was launched, but since it's just a refundable deposit why not

FYI the USB stick has antenna ports, the mifi device does not.
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
    Sounds like a good deal, I was going to hold off until a tri-mode device was launched, but since it's just a refundable deposit why not

FYI the USB stick has antenna ports, the mifi device does not.
    Wow, good catch, I was waiting for Lte too, but if I can return and buy an Lte hotspot I'm all for it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure many others will prefer to wait for the tri-mode that includes access to Sprint 3G and LTE since Wimax coverage in my city only shows to be in certain patches away from my home.

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    C Spire
    Feedback Score
    I do wonder if it will work on the entire Clear network. The Freedompop website just shows the 71 metro markets. It does not show the small towns and markets that Clear does not have full coverage of.

Feedback Score
    I'm puzzled by the coverage of FreedomPop.

If you go to the coverage map at http://launch.freedompop.com/coverage_map.htm it shows, for example, that almost all of Elk Grove Village, IL (a Chicago suburb) is dark green (which presumably means Great Coverage). Yet a popup says "Sorry, FreedomPop is not yet available at this location."

The same thing happens if the location is New York City, NY.

What does that mean??

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austex View Post
    I'm puzzled by the coverage of FreedomPop.

If you go to the coverage map at http://launch.freedompop.com/coverage_map.htm it shows, for example, that almost all of Elk Grove Village, IL (a Chicago suburb) is dark green (which presumably means Great Coverage). Yet a popup says "Sorry, FreedomPop is not yet available at this location."

The same thing happens if the location is New York City, NY.

What does that mean??
    I'm not surprised, even on Clear's site my location originally showed no coverage then eventually changed to outdoor or something. I've had available service since late 2008.

It's tricky with the 2.5GHz service as each MVNO decides how they want to deal with customer service should a subscriber not see their service meet individual expectations. I can only say in my personal experiences up until June of this year, it seems that Clear's map was the most accurate regarding fringe service areas. But again this is only my experiences.

You can zoom in and see tower site locations: http://www.clear.com/coverage

If you check Sprint, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile's mapping theirs do not show any protection sites in those numerous small towns in all lower 48 states. Only Clear's site shows all of their tower sites.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Topeka is a protection site also, however Clear removed our coverage info sometime in the last few months. I don't exactly remember what it looked like, but one glaring omission was that Wanamaker wasn't covered and downtown has gaping holes, but it does work even with netzero!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
    Topeka is a protection site also, however Clear removed our coverage info sometime in the last few months. I don't exactly remember what it looked like, but one glaring omission was that Wanamaker wasn't covered and downtown has gaping holes, but it does work even with netzero!

Good to know MVNO NetZero connects on protection sites, may indicate all of Clear's MVNOs do as well.

Device(s)
    Motorola i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Feedback Score
    I got my hot spot yesterday. Very small, works great in the Minneapolis area. I plan on canceling my wireless data plan.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg View Post
    I got my hot spot yesterday. Very small, works great in the Minneapolis area. I plan on canceling my wireless data plan.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using HowardForums
    Hey, great to hear, but tell me, if it's on and you turn a devices WIFI how long before you're connected?

I just happen to like, examundo between 2 WIMAX sites and both are less than 2 miles away...didn't mean to rub it in...just saying!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Hey, great to hear, but tell me, if it's on and you turn a devices WIFI how long before you're connected?
    This afternoon I received my FreedomPop hotspot. It's much smaller than I expected (6 cm x 6.5 cm x 1 cm), and arrived 3 days after I placed the order. It was shipped by Fedex for $4.99 from Indianapolis, IN.

The unit arrived with an almost-discharged battery.

A hint to others: On different pages, the FreedomPop website lists two administrative passwords for the device, admin and freedompop. I plugged the device directly into a computer, waited for the driver software to load, then successfully used freedompop.

Anyway, connection to the 4G signal took 2 minutes and 31 seconds.

My house is in a weak-signal area, and is located very close to the weak signal / no signal border...according to the coverage map, that line is only about 100 ft. away. The hotspot provided 2.1 mb/sec download speeds, as per Speedtest.net.

The FreedomPop website usage meter showed no usage until about 2 hours after I had first begun testing the unit.

Hold in the power button for 3 seconds to shut it off, hold in 15 seconds to do factory reset.

I'm happy with the purchase.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Anyway, connection to the 4G signal took 2 minutes and 31 seconds.
    Is that every time, or just the first?
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Mine showed up very quickly, got it Wednesday with an almost fully charged battery. However Clear has decided to not allow it or my netzero device to connect to any of the towers near my house or at work, however there is a large chunk of the city where it works fine. I can't report any speeds just yet though because I'm getting a "technical error" trying to activate. Tech support knows but hasn't had any luck fixing it yet.

Feedback Score
    I just turned the hotspot back on, inside the house (same location as the other tests).

0:59 for the wifi light to turn solid green(I don't have a computer asking for wifi signal, so the wifi light started blinking soon thereafter)
    1:13 for the 4G light to turn solid green

When I approach the unit the 4G light turns yellow, which I believe indicates a weaker signal.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast