Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: MVNO FreedomPop to Launch Free Mobile Broadband Service

Feedback Score
    Another data point: This afternoon I visited a nearby town where the hotspot's 4G light showed solid green. Speedtest.net showed download speed of 2.46 and upload speed ~1.5.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I got the Freedompop Photon WiFi hostpot last night. I found it could barely get a signal inside the house and only in certain locations. The data rate was very low (under .5Mps) Ping 200ms.
    Outside it showed "Green" (though not full strength) and I got almost 1Mbps down, and 250kbps up. Pretty sad for 4G.

At work several towns over I'm seeing almost full strength on WiMax and my speedtest capped out at 8.5Mbps down, 1Mbps up. Ping 85. I think that's pretty darn good.

So at first I was really disappointed at home that this wasn't very fast. My Virgin Mobile 3G card (sprint 3G) gets at least 1Mbps at home. But after seeing it work at 8.5Mbps at the office, I'm feeling much better about it.

Over time we'll see how well this will work out. WiMax coverage is pretty anemic but hopefully good enough. I look forward to the move to LTE.
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB on Verizon (new) Unlimited plan.
    T-Mobile $30 5GB/100Talk Pre-Paid
    iPad Mini 2 Retina 128GB on AT&T LTE

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't have to do with WiMAX or LTE. It's about frequency.

Clear's WiMAX operates on 2.5GHz which is higher than typical frequencies.

Lots of bandwith available but weaker signal propagation on 2.5GHz.

Sent from my EVO using HowardForums

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    It doesn't have to do with WiMAX or LTE. It's about frequency.

Clear's WiMAX operates on 2.5GHz which is higher than typical frequencies.

Lots of bandwith available but weaker signal propagation on 2.5GHz.

You know I had the coffee maker (XOOM), and it was much faster than the WIMAX laptop they gave us as testers, at the same house. The coffee maker was near a window, the laptop was inside not near a window. Thats why I believe Sprint decided against selling WIMAX as a mobile product.

In any case <1 beats a blank, it still delivers the mail!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    You know I had the coffee maker (XOOM), and it was much faster than the WIMAX laptop they gave us as testers, at the same house. The coffee maker was near a window, the laptop was inside not near a window. Thats why I believe Sprint decided against selling WIMAX as a mobile product.

In any case <1 beats a blank, it still delivers the mail!
    Home modems have much better antennas. Keep in mind LTE is signal strength dependent for speeds. This is talked about often over at S4GRU. I'd have 1 bar at home with WiMAX and 7Mbps, just something to keep in mind.

Signal propagation has to do with frequency not platform.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The higher the frequency the signal is broadcasted on the less distance it travels and weaker through foliage and walls or structures.

The lower the frequency the signal is broadcasted on the farther it travels and stronger through foliage and walls or structures.

Sprint's 3G is on 1900MHz

Sprint's LTE is on 1900MHz and 800MHz (eventually).

Clear's LTE will be on 2.5GHz (2500MHz).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Update:
    I took a stroll to the local Starbucks and did a speed test there.
    12,092k bps down, 1,587 kbps up.
    This is the maxium advertised bandwidth according to the freedompop web site for the "FreedomPop Speed Plus" feature add-on (which was required at signup, but it appears I can remove at any time if I want.)
    FreedomPop Speed Plus

Category: speed

$2.99 / month This service is
    currently active
    This service includes the following:

Guaranteed fastest upload speeds all day, every day!
    No speed caps regardless of data usage
    No throttling regardless of data usage
    Download speeds up to 12Mpbs
    Upload speeds up to 1.5 Mbps

Get up to 50% faster speeds - Browse the web & watch videos without delay
    I am liking this. Using it was very fast as if I were on my home WiFi. Performance obviously varies by location and coverage but it has potential when it's working at it's best.
    I can see myself upgrading to one of the paid plans because 500MB/month might not be enough.

Device(s)
    Motorola i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Feedback Score
    I just wish their pay data rates were better. For large amounts of data, I'd be better off getting the Virgin Mobile 3G/4G hotspot and pay $35/month for unlimited 4G and 2GB 3G. The FreedomPOP hotspot works great in my area and I like the small size.

I just wonder how they will make money. I can see tons of people signing up for the free data and very few of them paying anything each month. It's even worse with NetZero. They offer less free data and higher data rates. I can't see them lasting. I do have one of their hotspots also, because I wasn't sure FreedomPOP would ever get off the ground.

Of course FreedomPop lets you earn free data by watching videos, buying stuff, etc., similar to how Virgin Mobile used to let you earn free minutes. Maybe this will be enough cash coming in for them to stay in business. I hope so.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg View Post
    I just wish their pay data rates were better. For large amounts of data, I'd be better off getting the Virgin Mobile 3G/4G hotspot and pay $35/month for unlimited 4G and 2GB 3G. The FreedomPOP hotspot works great in my area and I like the small size.

I just wonder how they will make money. I can see tons of people signing up for the free data and very few of them paying anything each month. It's even worse with NetZero. They offer less free data and higher data rates. I can't see them lasting. I do have one of their hotspots also, because I wasn't sure FreedomPOP would ever get off the ground.

Of course FreedomPop lets you earn free data by watching videos, buying stuff, etc., similar to how Virgin Mobile used to let you earn free minutes. Maybe this will be enough cash coming in for them to stay in business. I hope so.
    Yes if you're going to use more than 5GB (the $35 price point on FreedomPop,) it's actually cheaper to use Virgin Mobile.

For me personally, I only need a small amount of data occasionally. The last thing I want to do is pay a monthly fee for something I won't use. This is why pre-paid and FreedomPop seem perfect.

I got the Walmart "Internet on the Go" which is $20/450MB a while back. That's an expensive per MB rate, except that data never expires (unless I don't use it for more than a year.) 450MB spread out over many months works out a lot cheaper than any monthly plan. Perfect for my occasional use.
    FreedomPop is even better. I don't pay a thing unless I happen to need a lot more on an occasional month. I can bump up my plan or pay the overages which would still work out to be a good deal when considered on an annual basis.

I think FreedomPop is going to be much more interesting (and more suited for) when they have their iPod Touch case. This gets people with an iPod touch online for Free or relatively cheap as compared to paying for an iPhone plan.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It works at last! Plus the towers near work and the house function as well.
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It would be very interesting to see the usage patterns as the first few months of ownership go by. Many would be curious to see how much data is being used as the months go by or if any are accruing free data to their accounts.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Got an e-mail today with discount rates on the data:

See image

I also got one from "Internet On The Go" which is those hotspots they sell at walmart with new cheap plans. I wonder if Sprint/Clear lowered their rates today...
    Last edited by gunterm; 10-12-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post

http://www.freedompop.com/acct_datap...2&utm_term=CTA

I also got one from "Internet On The Go" which is those hotspots they sell at walmart with new cheap plans. I wonder if Sprint/Clear lowered their rates today...
    Thanks for the non working link! Account baby! And, I guess your offer from "Internet on the Go" is hush hush.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post

http://www.freedompop.com/acct_datap...2&utm_term=CTA

How good of a deal?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well I had hoped it would show for everyone, guess not so here's a cut and paste:

Name:  freedompop.JPG
Views: 528
Size:  60.7 KB

I hope those rates stick when they have a tri-mode EVDO/LTE/WiMax device.

And I didn't want to take this off topic by mentioning the internet on the go deal so I started a thread in general prepaid:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...rnet-On-The-Go

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast