Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: MVNO FreedomPop to Launch Free Mobile Broadband Service

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
    I haven't heard back yet which device it is, other than that it's made by Sierra (obviously an overdrive or overdrive pro, I'm guessing the former). But I have already arranged for a free device swap with my photon when they have them ready
    So the Overdrive is better than the Photon?

Did they say anything about the different plans? If you switched to the new device would you be charged for the 500 MB plan or would you still be grandfathered the free plan?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm assuming the way it works is if you're in a WiMAX area it will use your pool of free data, if 3G then it uses the other one. They say no LTE until 3rd quarter which is probably a good idea since by then Nextel will be gone and LTE on low-band would be fantastic.

If it's the original Overdrive it might be a problem because there are reviews saying the original sucks A$$, the Overdrive Pro on the other hand is miles better. Since Virgin sells those we might get lucky and end up with the newer one. Also the newer Overdrive supports the "dock" with the antennas built in for boosting your WiMAX signal (if you can find one to buy). It's bigger than the photon and gets half the battery life, but has a nice LCD display and replaceable battery also...

Feedback Score
    Have anyone tried upgrading to the $3.99 3g/4g plan, and then downgrade a month later? I am going on vacation and would be in an area without 4g coverage. Freedompop FAQ only talks about upgrade, want to make sure I will be able to downgrade before doing this.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So, has anybody got their LTE TriFi yet? I've yet to hear of one in use, and they keep telling me "soon" for the last 4 months!

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000 Pro, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone Pro, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Yes got one 2 or 3 months ago. Reviewed it in a hofo thread and a longer review on slickdeals. Had same backorder issue you had but they did throw me extra free data the first month to compensate for the supplier delay.
    Bottom line is it is a simple but easy to use mifi device. LTE not everywhere but will fall back to slower standards if not available. Given I get 1 gb free a month (500 mb base + 500 mb friends bonus plus a few mb in click through offers) and nothing charged for service it's a great deal.

Sent from my BLU Rave using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Cool!

Well I did actually get an e-mail from them yesterday afternoon, apologizing for the long wait. However the price of the device has now been jacked up to $199 so this will cost me over $100 to upgrade, even if they credit me 100% for my Photon (which I've heard is unlikely). Been waiting for this so long I'm thinking about just waiting until summertime when the price will probably come down or refurb units will appear.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
    Cool!

Well I did actually get an e-mail from them yesterday afternoon, apologizing for the long wait. However the price of the device has now been jacked up to $199 so this will cost me over $100 to upgrade, even if they credit me 100% for my Photon (which I've heard is unlikely). Been waiting for this so long I'm thinking about just waiting until summertime when the price will probably come down or refurb units will appear.

Thoughts?
    Not a bad idea to wait if you don't need the service right now. LTE devices are likely in short supply and FreedomPop seems to be concentrating on clearing out their WIMAX inventory and I'm sure it costs them more to provide 500MB of free LTE compared to WIMAX hence the price premium for now.

I'm using up my collection of VM BB2G topup cards before cutting over (probably late this year).

FWIW,
    Bill

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000 Pro, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone Pro, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Agree on wait for the LTE device if you already have a FreedomPop device on WiMax and want to save a few bucks when the prices eventually go down on new or refurbished LTE equipment. Particularly since Sprint won't likely be pulling the plug on WiMax until sometime in 2015. The current $199 price point for the LTE device seems a little on the high side (I paid that much for an AT&T Liberate LTE wifi device upgrade, and that has a color touchscreen).

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8