Thread: apn issues with Bring Your Own Phone SIM card

Feedback Score

apn issues with Bring Your Own Phone SIM card

I purchased a straight talk SIM card to use in a new unlocked Samsung Focus. Voice calls are great, but I can not access data because I can not change the apn settings. Does anyone have any info on this. Straight Talk is no help.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Try this:
    on the Lumia 800 (and possibly other Windows Phones) if you tap in ##634# on the phone dialer it takes you into the phone diagnostics. Here there is an option for "APN Settings" and you can pop both the APNs in.
    See if the Focus will let you do that. Just use the APNs from the red card you got from ST.

Feedback Score
    I just bought a focus, so I know you can change the APN settings(make sure you are on mango). You change the APN settings at cellular(what its called) in the system settings area. Make sure you do not enter the proxy settings since that will stop you from using any live service.

PS: if you do not know how to update to mango, download the zune application for your computer and plug your phone into a usb port, it will start updating once you start the application up.

Feedback Score
    Thank y'all. I will try the suggestions. I've been trying to figure this problem out all day. In frustration, I just typed "att.mvno" into the apn name, the user name, and the password. Don't know how, but it worked for internet access. I still can not send MMS.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by f81002 View Post
    Thank y'all. I will try the suggestions. I've been trying to figure this problem out all day. In frustration, I just typed "att.mvno" into the apn name, the user name, and the password. Don't know how, but it worked for internet access. I still can not send MMS.
    You need to set the MMSC, MMS Proxy, and MMS Port for MMS to work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    You need to set the MMSC, MMS Proxy, and MMS Port for MMS to work.
    You can't set those settings as far as I can tell on the Samsung focus(No mms). I think only HTC windows phones can set MMS.

To the OP you don't have to set the user name and password, only the APN.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The newest Samsung Windows 7 phones have access to Wireless Manager and can be adjusted.....however the Focus is too old for this. I'm not sure what the Straight Talk rep plans to do about it. Unless they have figured out some new tricks, they will have about the same luck. I know that some companies send you a text that sets it up for you, but I don't think they have gotten that far yet. BYOP wasn't well thought before they launched it. They are still in the learning stages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using HowardForums
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29