Thread: Short Codes & Virgin Mobile

Feedback Score

Short Codes & Virgin Mobile

Hey I'm Dan & I'm new here.

I've been researching all over & read a few posts here about Short Codes not working with Pre-Paid phones/plans. I was gonna go w/Straight Talk but they specifically say no 'Premium SMS' in their TOS.

Could anyone here who has Virgin Mobile or Boost tell me if Short Codes work for you?
    I keep reading conflicting info that they do/don't.

Thanks.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've never had any issues. [location-specific name censored], Arby's, TextPlus etc all work on my phone. And I've never seen anywhere around here that says they don't (save for a long time ago, perhaps).

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile (Galaxy S5) Tracfone (Galaxy Centura) & AT&T (HTC Desire 610)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TribalStyle View Post
    Could anyone here who has Virgin Mobile or Boost tell me if Short Codes work for you?
    I keep reading conflicting info that they do/don't.
    I don't know if this fully answers your question, but I've had problems with some notifications not being supported due to Sprint's SMS policies. For example, The Weather Channel has text alerts you can sign up for that will notify you of severe weather in your area.

When I signed up for this particular notification, it said specifically that Sprint customers (including Boost and VM subscribers) would not be able to receive warnings. It had something to do with Sprint's policies on the mass sending of text messages by an information outlet like The Weather Channel.

There have been a couple other news services that offer text alerts, but would not work with my VM account. It sounds like Sprint has put up some roadblocks for these text alert providers. Whether that policy extends to all short codes, I'm not certain.

Feedback Score
    Alright thanks so much for that. I guess I'll have to this in my decision with the whole Pre-Paid game. Considering I'm in Mobile Marketing & I need to be able to test certain things, I might just stick with Verizon. It seems it's up to the Short Code Owners/Providers to cultivate a good relationship with the Carriers. Apparently, the Weather Channel didn't do that with Sprint, which is stupid.

Feedback Score
    When I used Straight Talk I had no problem using short codes like for flight arrivals or text coupons from restaurants. Whether I was supposed to or not is a different story. I did make a point of avoiding anything that published that it cost money.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Ok after some digging around I found these.

http://www.androidcentral.com/espn-t...sprint-network

It goes on to talk about Weather.com, MSNBC dropping out because Sprint is trying to charge more for their SMS services. That is some total bs. So I was right it's up to whoever owns the short code (71441) to pay Sprint's SMS tariffs. I can't believe their customers have not complained enough about this.

http://www.weatherusa.net/alerts/

Notice about Weather.com & Sprint upping their SMS charges.

http://www.weather.com/mobile/textmessaging.html
    [We are no longer able to offer SMS messages on the Sprint/Nextel, Boost Mobile, and Virgin Mobile network and will halt service on 4/5. You can continue to access weather.com on the mobile web or download one of our apps.]

Here's the Google search I did.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=weat...t+alert+sprint

Guess I'll just stick w/the old ball & chain Verizon. I guess you really do get what you pay for.