Thread: Google Voice & Short Codes

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Google Voice & Short Codes

I know Google Voice didn't work with short codes originally except there own but they now work with AIM IM and AOL alerts. I haven't tried any others but will in the next few days and post results here.

They may have always worked with AOL because they connected the IM functions through chat.

If anyone has found others that work please post them.

Thanks

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone, Lycamobile, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    When I make a SkypeOut call I wanted my Google Voice number to show up as the outgoing Caller ID, to do this they send you a text message from their short code (75973). Their text (from 75973) did come through and showed up in my GV inbox.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The Dominos shortcoming will send ads to my GV account, but they don't get forwarded to my phone. I only see them when I'm looking at the web app.

Phones
    Motorola M800 Portable Phone
    Sprint Sanyo SCP-7050
    Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I saw a thread on google's support section where people listed codes they would like white listed, because evidently short codes do work, they're just all blacklisted by default. Don't know if begging them for a code on the thread actually works, but I saw where several requested the dominos code.
    How many people own a working bag phone AND a Telular box?

Feedback Score
    Thanks,I just finding the solution about that,and I found it here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I know Google Voice didn't work with short codes originally except there own but they now work with AIM IM and AOL alerts.
    i was under the impression that GV didn't support any US CSC's, too. the last time i butted my head against this was on 2/18/11 when i tried to use my GV number for Bank of America SMS alerts. i was never able to receive their test message. using my ATT number, i do get their messages from CSC 692632. at the time i noted that i reported the problem here:
    (URL removed because i'm not allowed to post URL's)
    go to your google voice inbox
    click the gear icon on the top right and choose "Help"
    click "Known Issues" under "Fix an issue"

if you go there, now, and expand the "Voicemail and SMS" section, you'll see "Known issue":
    "SMS from application providers (e.g. Skype, Bank of America, etc.) are not working.
    This problem is caused by an issue with SMS interoperability, not Google Voice specifically. However, we're looking into it and appreciate your patience."

i just retried setting up SMS alerts to my GV number from Bank of America and it is indeed still not working.

i was able to do so for my BB&T account (which uses CSC 69228). this includes receiving and sending SMSs to/from their CSC. i called their tech support and was told that it was only within the last month that they've been able to support Google Voice. i don't know how accurate that statement is, but one thing's for sure: GV's short code support still doesn't work for all common US CSC's but does work for at least some.

cheers,
    marc

Feedback Score
    Lifelock 432578 does not work. Didn't know about short code limitations in GV until now.