Thread: LG 430g appears on Tracfone Activate Phones page

Feedback Score

LG 430g appears on Tracfone Activate Phones page

The LG430g is on the Tracfone Activate Phones page.

What do you think the difference is from the LG 429g? Do you think it will have a microSD card?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have not look at the tutorial, because the phone itself looks booring:
    http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/s...e=en_US&search

EDIT: I do see Video mentioned.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    I have not looked at the tutorial, because the phone itself looks boring:
    http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/s...e=en_US&search. I do see Video mentioned.
    Nope, no microSD card.

The 'Add Airtime' section shows Net10 denominations, not Tracfone. So it must be coming to Net10 too.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm...does not show up on the FCC web site yet. No help there.

On device anywhere (link provided in this thread) the user manual is available. Flipping through it I do not see a 'My folder' or something like that which the LG420G has for SD card storage.

This manual looks to be the type of manual ('reference') that was issued to the FCC for review, but not what you will actually get with the phone. I have often noticed differences between the reference manual and the supplied user manual, namely, the reference manual has cool features that you don't actually get.

But yet it has a music player. Unless the internal storage is quite large, it's going to be pretty much a useless feature.

I did see in the suspected reference manual, on page 10, there is a list of icons. While no SD card icon, but, there is a 'Location on' and 'E911 only' icon.

But you can't trust a reference manual. Case in point. This is a GSM phone but it has a 1x icon? Huh.....

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    (Update) The Sweeper has pointed out that the phone is listed with the FCC. LG has a new applicant name now so they go a new applicant ID which threw me off. ZNFLG430G is the FCC ID for this phone

I looked at the internal pictures. There is a folder dipole antenna just above the volume keys. Too elaborate for bluetooth, and no way would this phone have WiFi so it must be for 911 assist. I see the dedicated receiver chip for it but can't make it any part numbers.

And I see the solder pads for where a micro SD card would go. If it had one, it would be the 'stuffed under the battery' type.

Feedback Score

LG 430G Memory

Quote Originally Posted by K-L-M View Post
    But yet it has a music player. Unless the internal storage is quite large, it's going to be pretty much a useless feature.
    I activated an LG 430g a couple of days ago. It basically is like an LG 420G with a better camera, voice recorder, music player, video recorder, and a larger display (same size as LG 500G). The menus are nearly identical to the LG 500g, with only a few changes. One oddity is that with the 500g, you can press a number (like 1 for first item, 2 for second item, etc) instead of scrolling down to the item and hitting OK, on the main menus and several layers of submenus. But on the LG 430g, this works on the main menu and first submenu only; you have to scroll to the items on a submenu from a submenu.

I say "music player" vs. "mp3 player" because there isn't enough memory to do much of anything. The memory available for these activities plus photos, custom ringtones, apps, etc is about 11.8Meg. After loading my favorite ringtones, I have 6 meg left for everything else. So you'll have to transfer photos off very frequently to keep from running out of memory.

Phone works well enough; don't have detailed opinions yet after only 2 days of use. But here are a couple of things I've noticed.

The keypad is the biggest annoyance for me on this phone. The keypad is larger, and keys are larger, than the LG420g. But there is little movement or feel to the keys, only a very slight click. The pressure needed to press the keys is much lighter than on the 420g, IF you press in just the right spot. Even though the keys are larger, there is only a small place on each key that you can press on for the key to work. So using your thumbnails is difficult until you get used to exactly where to press on the keys; mashing harder with the end of your thumb works better for this phone. It is a membrane keypad with no divisions between keys, and with the end of your thumb you can feel the little bumps in the membrane that let you know where to press on the keys. The keypad feels like one of those that won't last for very long. Another annoyance is that the numbering on the keypad is fairly faint, and the keypad light goes out very quickly - 5 seconds from the last keypress - and is NOT adjustable. It is 5 seconds regardless of what you set the screen backlight time to.

Bluetooth file transfer works well. Transfer via USB cable isn't supported, I guess because there is no sd memory card in it for your computer to see.

But it meets the main requirements that I got it for. I like a flip phone, it's small enough to put in a pocket, and the camera is decent.
    Last edited by JIM3997; 03-16-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Fix cut and paste error

Feedback Score

LG 430G External Antenna?

I thought maybe someone with more technical knowledge of cell phones could tell us what this is. It is under the battery cover of the LG 430G. I was wondering if it might be a connection for an external antenna? Could be interesting for someone who lives in a weak signal area!

Name:  antenna2.JPG
Views: 4201
Size:  46.9 KB

Feedback Score
    @JIM3997 Thank you for the extensive review.

Maybe K-L-M will spot this and answer your observation about a possible connection for an external antenna.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I saw these at Walmart today for $14.96. I was going to pick one up because I still prefer flip phones over candy bar phones, but the ultra shiny black glossy plastic is a deal breaker since it will be a finger print magnet. I know I'm weird.

I also find it very very odd that it has a video record and music capabilities, but they didn't add an SD card slot.

Feedback Score
    I read somewhere such an antenna jack is used in the factory for testing only. The Tracfone/Samsung T301G (vertical slider) has one on the back, but it's concealed under the Tracfone label. (I'm referring to JIM3997's picture above. I clicked on the wrong thing.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM3997 View Post
    Another annoyance is that the numbering on the keypad is fairly faint, and the keypad light goes out very quickly - 5 seconds from the last keypress - and is NOT adjustable.
    You can press a volume button on the side to turn the keypad illumination back on - when you're in the menu system only. On the home screen the volume buttons adjust the ringer volume. Also the volume buttons are fairly small and almost flush with the case, so it's not easy to find them by touch.