Thread: Can I Install Android Update On Atrix With Straight Talk SIM?

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Can I Install Android Update On Atrix With Straight Talk SIM?

I'm using a Motorola Atrix with a ST SIM & I keep getting a pop up message on my phone saying a new software update is available for my device. It appears to be an Android update MB860 v4.5.141. I posted a screen shot below. Will I be able to download & install this update if I'm using a ST SIM? I don't want it to cause any problems with my phone. Here is a link from Motorola that explains the update in more detail:

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/78987

Name:  IMG_83222.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  45.1 KB

Feedback Score
    Should not be a problem. I've download updates over wifi before with no service

Feedback Score
    I updated my Atrix 2 to 5.5.1.175 today.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well the update didn't work out too well for me (of course). Nothing is ever easy. I downloaded the update then when I clicked Install the phone restarted. Now every time it restarts it tries to start the update but the update fails and I get a little Android guy with an exclamation point on the screen. In order to get it to go away I have to do a batter pull, however once I power it on again I it tries shuts down to try to install the update again. Now the phone is unusable. Any ideas?

My phone is NOT rooted.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You might want to look for the manually downloadable update(some times they'll be on AT&T or Motorola website) and try to install it manually. I'm sure about the Atrix specifically, but you can usually put it on the SD card and boot to recovery to install it. You might try checking over on the xda atrix forums as they're usually a bit more on top of more specific technical issues.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I downloaded the update with no problems. The problem is now since I initiated the installation of the update the phone gets to the home page & then restarts because it keeps trying to install the update. But each time it fails and I have to do a battery pull. Is there a way to stop the phone from trying to install the update at this point?

Would this have anything to do with me not having an AT&T SIM?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Shouldn't be because of the Straight Talk SIM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using HowardForums

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The SIM should not be and issue for software updates. If it is boot looping , you might have to do a full restore(basically the same as the method I mentioned above). I'm not sure what options are present in the Atrix recovery, but you might have to do a factory reset if the option is there. Most Android boot looping seems to be caused by a conflict between an updated OS and an conflicting setting on the /data partition. So clearing the data(factory reset) might fix it, but you may have to reflash the whole OS as well.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I found the update available for download on Motorola's website. I'm wondering if that will fix this or cause more problems. Not sure what to do at this point. Will a factory reset stop the phone from trying to update as soon as it boots?

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    I found the update available for download on Motorola's website. I'm wondering if that will fix this or cause more problems. Not sure what to do at this point. Will a factory reset stop the phone from trying to update as soon as it boots?
    It might fix the issue since I'm guessing the problem at this point is something didn't go right. The factory reset might work if the manual update doesn't.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just tried the manual update and it won't work because the phone can't start up long enough, it shuts down before I can do anything. How can perform a factory reset if the phone shuts off before I can get into the menu to select factory reset?

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I got it working!! I spent about an hour searching google with different search phrases and I found a post where someone had a similar problem about a year ago with a different phone. This is what I did:
    -I pulled the battery then booted up the phone by pressing the power button & the volume down button at the same time until "Fastboot" showed at the top of the screen.
    -Then I scrolled through & selected "Android Recovery"
    -I then selected "Wipe Cache Partition"
    -Then I selected "Yes-Wipe Cache"
    The phone then restarted and I got a message that the update failed but the phone stayed up and running and has been working fine since. I've since restarted it several times.

So the update did not install but I'm not going to attempt the update again at this point because I'm sure I'll just have the same problem.

I know I said the phone was not rooted but I failed to mention that I did buy the phone used so I don't know what the previous owner did to it. But I did a Factory Reset on the phone when I bought it so wouldn't that remove any previous rooting on the phone if there was any?

Phone
    Galaxy S II
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    With the newest atrix update, you currently cant unlock the bootloader anymore, so you now lost the opportunity to install some awesome custom roms like CM7, or My upcoming RebelROM :P Better performance, and no moto "dont call me blur"