Thread: BYOD: Net10 vs Straight Talk

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

BYOD: Net10 vs Straight Talk

Am I missing something? It seems that Net10 and Straight Talk are offering the exact same service with their SIM only plans, but the Net10 is $5 more. Sure sales tax on Straight Talk and no tax and discounts when you get Net10 from calling mart it probably all evens out, but do you get anything for the extra $5?

Is it actually the same service as in will a T-Mobile SIM actually get T-Mobile 3G on a T-Mobile phone with Net10?

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 710 :: LG Optimus F3 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    One point some prefer is not having to deal with Wal~Mart for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bsharitt View Post
    Am I missing something? It seems that Net10 and Straight Talk are offering the exact same service with their SIM only plans, but the Net10 is $5 more. Sure sales tax on Straight Talk and no tax and discounts when you get Net10 from calling mart it probably all evens out, but do you get anything for the extra $5?

Is it actually the same service as in will a T-Mobile SIM actually get T-Mobile 3G on a T-Mobile phone with Net10?
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I ordered a straight talk Sim, but now am thinking that net 10 will be better for me since my local sales tax is really high and I prefer to avoid walmart.. Wondering if I can just activate this Sim on net 10 instead, since i'm pretty sure the card is the same.. Anyone know?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by doorpeep View Post
    I ordered a straight talk Sim, but now am thinking that net 10 will be better for me since my local sales tax is really high and I prefer to avoid walmart.. Wondering if I can just activate this Sim on net 10 instead, since i'm pretty sure the card is the same.. Anyone know?
    Although there is probably no difference in the SIMs, I believe the SIM S/N is already in the system as being for ST service. The Phone S/N that is printed on the activation sheet may also tie it to ST. You could make contact using the Net10 contact Info a FEW times hoping you MIGHT find someone who would bend the rules, if that is even possible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsharitt View Post

Not that I am aware of. They are owned by the same parent company. And the only real difference is Net10 is available at many retail locations such as 7-11 and local wireless shops along with a large online presence among pin refill stores. On the other hand, ST is only available on ST site and Walmart.

And yes if you buy a Net10 Tmo SIM you will get Tmo 3G/4G speeds on a Tmo phone that supports Tmo HSPA+ bands.

Carrier
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    And so far straight talk users have to be paranoid about their data consumption on a daily basis. Net10 users don't have to worry about it. That's worth the extra $5 if you ask me. Smarter move too. Just because straight talk is cheaper doesn't mean its better in any way.

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arp734 View Post
    And so far straight talk users have to be paranoid about their data consumption on a daily basis. Net10 users don't have to worry about it. That's worth the extra $5 if you ask me. Smarter move too. Just because straight talk is cheaper doesn't mean its better in any way.

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums
    You are incorrrect, you can bet the one department watching for data hogs checks both ST and NT at the very same time. The difference is ST has had data hog phones available for over a year, NT only since 2/7/12.

It is true both have had the Androids running on Sprint service for many months, but no one has reported on excessive data useage (so the rules for Sprint are still a complete unknown).

Feedback Score
    "And yes if you buy a Net10 Tmo SIM you will get Tmo 3G/4G speeds on a Tmo phone that supports Tmo HSPA+ bands."

I am commenting on your above statement. This may not be true. A t-mobile SIM card could act very differently than a Net10 SIM card using t-mobile network. I got sucked into it (unlimited talk, text, and web and bring your phone offer and now I am regretting). They gave me Net10 SIM card which is on AT&T network. I am using nokia lumia 800 which is a windows phone. I can't download any apps from marketplace even though my GPS and internet explorer work. Twitter wont update, facebook chat wont work. All it says is I don't have a data connection/wifi. So, I am not sure what is going on? Just to check if something was wrong with my phone, I used pure t-mobile SIM which I borrowed from microsoft store, all the services worked even though it was only using EDGE.

Feedback Score
    The NT "Web Exclusive" price is $45 with auto-refill.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellyon View Post
    The NT "Web Exclusive" price is $45 with auto-refill.

https://www.net10.com/direct/ValuePlans?app=NET10

Feedback Score
    Can anyone confirm that N10 doesn't charge you taxes on their $45 plan like ST does?